Author Topic: False Albies  (Read 1425 times)

Offline striperboi890

False Albies
« on: September 09, 2008, 07:45:43 PM »
Whats the differnce between False Albacore and Bonito and when will they be hitting the beaches?
Andrew

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
Re: False Albies
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 07:55:20 PM »
any day now

Offline SharkHart

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 08:48:14 PM »
Bonita is a little smaller and has some stripes, they usually are more agressive and will even hit topwater.  They usually come in first (if) they come in.  They camped at around squan last year right around 10/4 for 2-3 days.

My guess is 2-3 weeks but albies were hot from around 10-7 to 10-15 last year.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 09:47:40 PM »
 whs

Also, I was told Bonito are edible and false albies taste like trash.  In some other regions they are the same fish, but Atlantic Bonito and False Albacore are different here.  Haven't heard of any in the surf yet.  I think last year was not good either!

TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:31:14 PM »
You can never tell if they will come in within casting range from the beach.  If the water stays clean and warm and the baitfish hug the coast you'll have a shot at them.  Many times you'll see them moving in small schools down the beach (usually about a cast and a half away). ;D

I've only caught a couple from the beach (while casting small metals).  But last year we slaughtered them from a boat towards the end of September!  So you know I'll be going after them again this year! t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-