Author Topic: Engine trouble?? any mechanics out there??  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Engine trouble?? any mechanics out there??
« on: October 15, 2008, 07:13:50 PM »
 :-\ I have a full inboard 1988 350 Crusader with a carb on my 23' 1972 Chris Craft. I'm getting an rpm drop than up, Kind of like I'm Moving the throttle back and forth fast. the rpms go up down up down up down... Sometimes I stall, Than it usually starts right up and I'm fine. I think its a fuel issue. Or maybe a carb issue. Last week for the first time I waited about an hour after the incident, I was ready to call Boat US, Than it started right up and I was fine the rest of the day.. Since then I went down to the marina and Used Carb, Cleaner and seems OK but this is a sporadic problem. Do any of you have any suggestions? 5hrug
Thanks in advance, Eddie
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Engine trouble?? any mechanics out there??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 07:23:44 PM »
Possible clogged fuel filter or water in fuel. Change fuel and water seperator filters for a start.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 07:39:34 PM »
I'm not a great fisherman, but I am a diesel mechanic so I can help here.

Start with the basics. Like IrishAyes said, start with filters. How fresh are the plugs and wires? It does sound fuel related. How old is the carb? Ever been rebuilt? Possibly an intermittent stuck float.
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 05:33:28 AM »

Start with the basics. Like IrishAyes said, start with filters. How fresh are the plugs and wires? It does sound fuel related. How old is the carb? Ever been rebuilt? Possibly an intermittent stuck float.

whs 
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 05:37:29 AM »
I will try that, Thanks chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 07:19:33 AM »
The first thing I would check is the fuel tank vent. The easiest way to do that is open the fill and see if the problem goes away. I have seen that a few times on boats. One stupid bee goers in the hole and you’re done. I saw a bee fly in my water pisser, I started the engine and no water came out even if I revved it up. Had to stick a wire in it to clean it out.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 09:21:36 AM »
Hi Eddie. In addition to the above, I would check a few more things.
choke: Opening and closing as it should
Ign. Wires: I've had this happen on cars and trucks many years ago. Once it was warmed up and running on the road, the problem stopped.
I assumed the wires were absorbing moisture and once it got hot in the engine compartment they dried out.
Distributor advance weights.[ if it appies.]
It does sound like a carb issue, especially with all the fuel issues this season, but don't overlook or rush to judgement. Matt.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 11:23:38 AM »
If it's not the fuel or filter it could be a weak flexible fuel line collapsing, or a loose clamp sucking air into the fuel. You prolly have a spin-on fuelfilter/water separator and in addition a small filter right at the carb fuel inlet (may actually be in the carb.) Use lots of rags when loosening the nut; filter may be porous bronze or folded paper. If you ran the tank very low you may have sucked up some cr@p off the tank bottom into the lines and filter...

Maybe also air or vacuum leak at carb base or rubber hoses?

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 02:31:58 PM »
Plenty of good suggestions.  t^
From what you describe,sounds like water in fuel or fuel flow restrictions to carb.
Check all hoses,filters and fuel pump to make sure the flow is a go.Trace it from the fuel vent to the and including carb.Thats were I stop with limited ability at the carb.Good Luck

Offline mckee17

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 02:43:08 PM »
Sounds familiar, had the same issue.  Turned out to be a small screen filter at the end of the fuel pick up tube in the fuel tank.  Took a while to dope out. It would get clogged when your drawing fuel until the engine dies.  Then when fuel sloshed around in tank would free up again.  Had fuel tank cleaned.  It does sound like a fuel issue.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 06:59:10 PM »
Ah, Yes, I forgot to mention that I ran the fuel tank very low last week. I will replace the Water separator, Change the filter at the carb, check for collapsed lines, check the vent, make sure the carb is tightened snug, and over the winter change the distributor cap and rotor, plugs and wires. ;) And thankyou Rick 'AKA' dieselhp, for the phone call, Your a great guy  chrz chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 07:00:50 PM »
 t^ anytime!

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline dikdanger

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 07:26:02 AM »
you can always try torchen it... 5hrug :-X
Fishey Fishey in the bay... Come and bite my Hook TODAY !!!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-