Author Topic: 5 & 7 Ounce Krociodiles & Crippled Herrings  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
5 & 7 Ounce Krociodiles & Crippled Herrings
« on: November 10, 2008, 10:53:52 AM »
Heard from 2 different sources over the past few days that Luhr-Jensen has discontinued making both Krocodile spoons & Crippled Herrings in weights over 3 ounces.

I plan on stocking up over the winter on both.

The prism pattern Kroc was the ticket this past weekend. When the drift was slow a 3.25 ounce Kroc was able to reach bottom but when the wind/drift picked up you needed a 5 and did even better with a 7.

Several party boat captians/mates have told me that the bigger Krocs ahve been the hot lure so far this fall (followed by a green tailed AVA 47).

In years past a white 5 ounce Crippled Herring was a hot producer. They are also an excellant cod jig in the big sizes.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
Re: 5 & 7 Ounce Krociodiles & Crippled Herrings
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:00:09 AM »
That is not good news :'(

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »
That's pretty crazy!!  Discontinuing 2 of their best sellers 5hrug?!

TT^

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 06:09:12 PM »

TT^

From what I was told it's because of the price of lead as well as allot of laws prohibiting the use of lead for any type of fishing.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 07:52:11 PM »
Lead will be 
outlawed  in fishing before you know it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 07:57:45 PM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 08:22:34 PM »

I doubt that those heavier Krocs and Crippled Herrings are their best sellers.  I would bet they sell way more under three ounces.

From what I was told it's because of the price of lead as well as allot of laws prohibiting the use of lead for any type of fishing.

Yes, I would agree that lead-free fishing will be in our future, as lead is some pretty nasty stuff! :P
However, the phasing out of lead has been a fairly gradual thing so far.  Most of the lead bans (that I know of) are targeted at the smaller amounts (generally one ounce or less).  And they do not include lures.

I don't think that would be a reason to discontinue a product (at least for now).  Of course, I could be wrong, but my guess is that it has everything to do with sales. ;)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:41:43 PM »
I would think with the popularity of those 2 products they would look at lead free alternatives, which, are not that more expensive than lead...some are cheaper. I guess I am going to have to buy up a bunch of the ones I commonly use...before they are all gone!!

Yeah, most of the bans are for freshwater type fishing, like Bucktail said, less than 1oz.  I am sure a lead ban is in the near future...it is banned in just about everything else.  It really isn't a bad idea to get away from lead, especially when it isn't any cheaper.  I know, I try to stay away from as much of it as I can...only because of the kids.  Funny, I haven't been able to find any commercially sold lead free saltwater products yet!  No sinkers, jighead, nothing 5hrug.

TT^

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »
Checked various online sites today checking on the availabity of the 5 & 7 ouce Krocs.

Most seemed not to even list them anymore. Those that did list them are out of stock for the most part.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 04:05:36 PM »
You can't even get onto their site as it is being updated.  I did sign up for their news updates so when they get back up you will here it here first.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 06:39:13 PM »
Dammit, in reading the reports of the last few weeks it looked like they were the ticket. I have lighter Krocodiles and crippled herrings for casting, but I was hoping to get my hands on some heavier ones.
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-