Author Topic: trolling/umbrella rigs  (Read 8782 times)

Offline double3fd

trolling/umbrella rigs
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:01:45 AM »
i have a fish n ski with a 90hp.  i do not know much about trolling.  when in the bay or ocean and trolling, do you need to have a trolling motor or can i troll with my 90hp at a slow speed?  will the engine sound be counter productive and scare the fish or will it work?  any thoughts or suggestions?
-Angry Snapper- "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: trolling/umbrella rigs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:08:46 AM »
No problem trolling with your main engine. Everyone does it.

Trolling speed depends on what you are trolling for. Stripers, slow is best, blues, bump it up some.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline sealife

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
It depends on what you are fishing for.  Engine noise does not seem to be a problem and in some offshore trolling some feel that the engine noise is an attractant.  If you are going to troll bluefish and striped bass you just need to be able to move in the 3 knot range but it really depends on what you are using for lures.  Are you going to be trolling wire?  Braid?  Etc all come into play.  I am sure your question will get multiple responses on here.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:00:34 AM »
 whs all the above
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »
Your engine is fine.
Line makes a difference on depth.
Your gps can give you a close speed of the lure, but not always correct due to under water current. I have seen up to 1 ½ mph difference between gps and lure speeds.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 08:44:26 PM »
Your motor should be fine and safe.
Keep in mind the current pull, wind, the type of metal or wood or umbrella your using and if you need to go deep use drails. Good luck,AJ

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »
This can turn into a Great Topic t^.  bring it on Boys t^

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:08:57 PM »
that engine should be fine...i would worry more about the tackle you are using...make sure your reels can handle the braid or wire or u wont be fishing to long that day!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 09:50:57 AM »
Different lines sink different. When I fish Lake Ontario I use wire, copper, braid and mono. Each line gives a different presentation. Sometimes I run the lines out 300 to 400 feet behind the boat. Can’t do that at the Hook where I fish. In the lake we fish up to 400 FOW (feet of water). At the hook the bottom changes too much and you will get hooked up on the bottom. I have found that the wire line works the best around here. You don’t have to have your lure that far back and most times I am running it 50 to 75’ back.  The wire does not stretch and sinks fast.
Up at the lake I use a unit called a Depth Raider witch hooks to your down rigger and tells you the temp and speed at the ball. Sometimes you see a big difference in speed from your gps and ball speed and sometimes it’s the same. This is due to sub surface current. That is one reason you will pick up fish trolling one way and not the other unless you adjust your speed when you turn around. With the Depth Raider you know the speed has changed and you can adjust for it. I don’t use the Depth Raider at the hook because I don’t use the down riggers. I am going to try them this year in the spring because of so many boats out fishing I can run a shorter line behind the ball.
In short, I use wire line with 1000’ of line on the reel when trolling shad rigs and bunker spoons. All reels have line counters on them so you know how far back you are and you don’t need a roller rod or tip. If you do a lot of wire fishing with the wire rod, you may want to change the tip of the rod to a twilli tip.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »
Hold on guys..... I do alot of trolling with my kayak in the ocean using the tube and worm combo..... I have also used small bunker lures as well and took some big fish..... Just a slow
 paddle is enough to keep the bait off the bottom....

Boat or Kayak they both work ..... t^
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 09:30:15 PM »
the biggest thing is to make sure your lure is working at the proper depth.  close to the bottom is best.  if you are trolling in the ocean (ocean is far better than bay) you may need up to 10-12 oz of lead. 8 is usually sufficient.
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-