Author Topic: Shimano Acquires Manufacturer of Power Pro  (Read 7518 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Shimano Acquires Manufacturer of Power Pro
« on: January 04, 2009, 12:13:38 AM »
Shimano American Acquires Innovative Textiles
News Release – for immediate distribution

Shimano American Acquires Innovative Textiles –
Maker of Power Pro Fishing Line

Irvine, Calif. – December 31, 2008 – Shimano American Corporation, Irvine, Calif., has completed its agreement to acquire Innovative Textiles, Inc., the company best known as the makers of PowerPro braided fishing line, announces Dave Pfeiffer, Shimano American president.

While maintaining manufacturing operations and staff at its facility in Grand Junction, Colo., Pfeiffer notes the Innovative Textiles sales and marketing efforts will be transitioned to Shimano American’s operations in time for the ICAST show this coming July in Orlando.

“The extensive background that Konrad Krauland and his team at Innovative Textiles have in braiding and textile engineering is one of the key assets of our acquisition,” said Pfeiffer. “Krauland will join our management team as a vice president, focusing on production, coordinating manufacturing and new product development with Shimano offices worldwide.”

Pfeiffer further notes that Shimano will aggressively market the PowerPro branded products to the international sportfishing market. “While Konrad and Innovative Textiles have become a leader in braided fishing lines here in the U.S., the connection now with Shimano will allow us to grow the business throughout Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe and Latin America.

Established in 1992, Innovative Textiles introduced PowerPro braided fishing line to the market in 1997. The company first started making Spectra fiber braid for kite flying, plus Krauland and his engineering staff were involved with other companies who needed their braiding expertise for some of the first braided fishing lines.

“To be able to make that next big leap, from a strong brand in the U.S. fishing market to one that will have solid global presence, we couldn’t be happier now being part of Shimano American Corporation,” said Krauland. “As we integrate our Grand Junction operations into Shimano’s operation in Irvine and sales offices around the globe, we look forward to working on the next innovations in fishing line technology and other new products over the next years.”

Shimano American Corporation is the U.S.-based subsidiary of Shimano, Inc. a multi-national manufacturer of bicycle components and fishing tackle. It now has operations in Irvine, Calif., Grand Junction, Colo., Woodland, Wash., Louisville, Colo., Peterborough, Ontario, and Kirchzarten, Germany.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:06:17 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
Re: Shimano Acquires Manufacturer of Power Pro
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 12:23:59 AM »
Cool.  TT^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 12:25:11 AM »
Interesting...what else is Shimano going to "acquire?" ;D  I guess the economy hasn't hurt them at all.  Maybe Shimano will have better quality control over the PP.

Thanks for the info.

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 12:48:45 AM »
Oh well, time to find another line.  One that is made here in the good ol US of A.

Why can't they get it through their heads we want to buy American...At least I do.  DAMN...
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 08:21:46 AM »
Sounds like it will be made on American soil.

Shimano American is HQed in California and Innovative Textiles is in Colorado.

Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »
All Penn reels used to be made here in the good old USA until they were bought out, now,all execpt the Internationals, are made in China ( The internationals are assembeled here, but probabally with parts made in China). I'm sure it will be just a matter of time before the production of Power Pro is moved overseas as well. slt  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline mgm

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 04:38:20 PM »
Just like small screen black and white tv's, small cars, etc.....once the camel gets it's nose under the tent...look out....they already have a good share of the reel market.....can't say that I blame them for acquiring PPRo.....if they have the cash, valuations are low and they probably got it for a good price.

I'm partial to P-line...made in CA... more of a west coast line....limited colors, but I've had good luck with it....they also make a nice co-polymer line of nylon coated with fluro.
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 08:04:54 PM »
I have been using power pro too, I have a very hard time finding products that are still made here in USA. Most of the electrical fittings I use for work are foreign made and the quality is inferior and terrible, and cost the same as when they were made here. :P  They actually are costing us more in labor because they are harder to install because the tolerances of the fittings are not as good as the ones we used 10 or 15 years ago. >:(   I will stop rambling on now. :-\
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 08:29:53 PM »
Oh well, time to find another line.  One that is made here in the good ol US of A.

Why can't they get it through their heads we want to buy American...At least I do.  DAMN...

First of all the press release states that Shimano will be, "maintaining manufacturing operations and staff at its facility in Grand Junction, Colo."  So, at least for now, Power Pro will still be "made in the good ol' U.S. of A." ;D

Secondly, while there are less than a handful of reels still made here, there are many quality rods that are still made in America.  St. Croix, G. Loomis, All Star and Lamiglass, are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head.  And yet nobody says anything when someone goes out and buys a rod by Tsunami,Penn, or Tica (which are all made in China).

So, I don't get it.  Why are we suddenly picking on Shimano for buying Power Pro? 5hrug

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Just remember the Ostrich...

You can only stick your head in the sand just for so long before you get your a$$ shot off.

In Monmouth County there is a school that offers Mandarin.

So Solly...
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »
So then do you regret buying your Tica instead of an American made rod?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 11:38:56 PM »
If I could afford the others I would in a heart beat.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »
Due to the current state of our economy and the massive job losses occurring nationwide, we, as Americans, need to be concerned with both the loss of domestic manufacturing jobs and the quality of items we purchase . I am not picking on or singling out Shimano, I just feel we should stick together as countrymen. Yes, I do have some quality imported items in my home, but also have purchased some fine imported crap!  slt  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 12:51:20 AM »
O.K. I'm about to take this waaaaay off topic, but what the heck! ;D

Our loss of jobs and businesses is not the fault of the American consumer or the corporations.  You can't blame anybody for wanting to pay less for the same or similar product when the choice is presented to them.  You also cannot blame a company or corporation for trying to maximize their profits.  After all that is how the capitalism game is played.  There are very few people who would invest their money in a company solely on the fact that they are an American one.  That may be a consideration.  But that American company better make money or the stockholders are not going to be happy!

So, if you can't blame the consumer and you can't blame the corporations (who are merely playing by the rules), then who is to blame?  You guessed it!  Good old Uncle Sam!

*Cue the music.  Something like Stars and Stripes Forever would be a good choice*

The fact is, if you're going to deregulate everything, make the markets "free" and make American companies compete with countries that are paying their workers .32/hour, they are going to lose!  That is not a level playing field.  And I don't agree with those that would suggest the auto workers (or others for that matter) should have their wages cut to remedy this.  Hard working Americans deserve to be able to make a decent living wage.    The middle class is the heart of America.  And when the middle class disappears, so will our heart. 

So instead of blowing smoke up our butts, telling everybody how great we are and having us wave our "Made in China" American flags around, what we really need is for our elected representatives to support the U.S. workers by creating laws to level the playing field.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:48:45 AM by Bucktail »

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 07:28:15 AM »

[/quote]

Secondly, while there are less than a handful of reels still made here, there are many quality rods that are still made in America.  St. Croix, G. Loomis, All Star and Lamiglass, are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. 
[/quote]

I was under the impression that Shimano owns GLoomis....not that it makes a whole lot of difference to me.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 08:26:09 AM »
You are correct.  Shimano bought Loomis a few years ago.  However, all of the rods are still made in the G. Loomis plant in Woodland, Washington. t^

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »
I heard some other stuff yesterday re Shimano.

But I really can't get into it just yet  :-X

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 11:54:05 AM by Art Berkman »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 11:46:39 AM »
It is pretty difficult to buy American products exclusively!  It is like being a vegan.  It takes a lot of self discipline and a lot of extra work.  What also always gets me, is how it says "Made in the USA," and then you find out the parent company is Japanese and all of the profits go to the Japanese Economy.  Yes, American workers benefit, American companies benefit and the entire process is more American than "Made in China," but all of the 50+% profits go to the parent company.

There certainly are MANY, MANY quality American Made Products across the board...unfortunately, I cannot justify buying a $250 rod over a $50 rod made outside of the US.  If it is the difference of paying my bills and putting food on my table or strictly buying American which may cost more...you tell me what I have to do!  Unless every American would do this, just buying American products will not work alone!  Kind of like the gasoline boycotts...buy only on this day and then not the rest of the week.  Good ideas in theory, but almost impossible to execute.

I always prefer and try to buy American or even better, from small companies.  I will buy from a small B&T most of the time, even if it is a dollar or two more.  I will buy from Gibbs or a small custom plug builder over a mass producer!  However, it does not always work out that way.

I am very interested in hearing what you know about Shimano, Art!  Always something going on behind the public eye.

TT^

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 12:00:33 PM »
It is pretty difficult to buy American products exclusively!  It is like being a vegan.  It takes a lot of self discipline and a lot of extra work.  What also always gets me, is how it says "Made in the USA," and then you find out the parent company is Japanese and all of the profits go to the Japanese Economy.  Yes, American workers benefit, American companies benefit and the entire process is more American than "Made in China," but all of the 50+% profits go to the parent company.

There certainly are MANY, MANY quality American Made Products across the board...unfortunately, I cannot justify buying a $250 rod over a $50 rod made outside of the US.  If it is the difference of paying my bills and putting food on my table or strictly buying American which may cost more...you tell me what I have to do!  Unless every American would do this, just buying American products will not work alone!  Kind of like the gasoline boycotts...buy only on this day and then not the rest of the week.  Good ideas in theory, but almost impossible to execute.

I always prefer and try to buy American or even better, from small companies.  I will buy from a small B&T most of the time, even if it is a dollar or two more.  I will buy from Gibbs or a small custom plug builder over a mass producer!  However, it does not always work out that way.

I am very interested in hearing what you know about Shimano, Art!  Always something going on behind the public eye.

TT^

Hint  ;)

Let's just say they are working on producing some stuff that has been discontinued by others.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 12:11:49 PM »
Hint  ;)

Let's just say they are working on producing some stuff that has been discontinued by others.

COOL!!

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-