Author Topic: Need advice on reels  (Read 23690 times)

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
Re: Need advice on reels
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 04:32:26 PM »
Get a Penn  t^ it will last for ever . I have three of them and got alot of big Stripers on them TT^You can't go wrong ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:44:19 PM by rugman »
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 06:00:49 PM »
In my opinion penn reels flat out suck. Vs is a good reel I got one and landed a lot of fish on it ,but it sucks having to send your reel back every year (if you still have to) to keep the waranty up I used to pay 40 bucks plus shipping.

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 06:31:20 PM »
In my opinion penn reels flat out suck. Vs is a good reel I got one and landed a lot of fish on it ,but it sucks having to send your reel back every year (if you still have to) to keep the waranty up I used to pay 40 bucks plus shipping.
Had one for five years with no problems
Arty's Carpet Service.

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 06:43:20 PM »
You fish salt one time a year so that reel has 5 trips or less om it.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 06:47:49 PM »
You fish salt one time a year so that reel has 5 trips or less om it.
;D

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 07:03:37 PM »
I use it all the time .My Mom is in Toms river and my Aunt is in L.BI. I do alot of surf fishing  ;D
Arty's Carpet Service.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 07:27:24 PM »
I own some 35+ year old Penn reels. And some old Ocean City reels, If you care for them they will care for you..  I am also a fan of Shimano and Diawa. I admit that I take apart and oil and grease every off season. And don't forget Okuma reels have a lifetime warranty and are cheap. Many party and charter boats have switched to Okuma because they replace, no questions. So I am told..  They make some nice spinners too..  But I would rather try to buy from here in the USA. chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 07:37:11 PM »
well said . Just take care of them and they will last t^
Arty's Carpet Service.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 09:40:44 PM »
Penn Reels, as long as they are the older "Made in USA" models. I've been hearing alot of negative reports on the new imported Penns. I wonder why? 5hrug <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 11:14:10 PM »
Penn Reels, as long as they are the older "Made in USA" models. I've been hearing alot of negative reports on the new imported Penns. I wonder why? 5hrug <'((((><

My opinion is the quality of the parts they started using.  If you break down the same model Made in the USA Penn Reel and a Made in China, the parts are not the same.  The imported Penn parts feel lighter and not as strong, they don't looked machined as well, some of the metal parts have been replaced with plastic and the springs look less durable!

The older model Penns I have now, have taken a beating and some have not been taken care of as I would normally have(had they been mine).  With a good cleaning, a couple replacement parts and new grease and oil, they are like the first day they came out of the box mechanically!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 11:26:55 PM »
A lot of the parts in the newer reels are punched pressed.  If you look at them they have a slight roundness to them and the flat sides are loaded with burs.

I have been taking a number of my reels apart and deburring everything and polishing the races and surfaces up to almost a mirror finish.  I find I have to use lease grease and I have one smooth reel.  Better than new.

I have been toying with the idea of closing tolerances up a bit by nickle plating some surfaces.  I'll see.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 12:02:38 AM »
IMO, Penn reels problems started back in the late 90s, when they were still made here.  They had a ton of anti-reverse problems with their SS series at the same time they switched to the graphite body.  At that time the founder's granddaughter was running the company (into the ground).  Around 2002 or so, they were sold and the new company made some changes, which I believe, improved the quality somewhat.

Fairly recently they were sold to K2 which, in turn, was purchased by  the Jarden Company.  Before 2007 this mega-colossal company had no connection to the fishing business whatsoever.  Now they own all of the following!  Which, by the way, were all competing companies at one time. ;)

Abu Garcia®, All Star Rods®, Berkley®, Fenwick®, Gulp!®, Johnson®, JRC Products®, Mitchell®, Penn®, Pflueger®, Shakespeare®, Spiderwire®, Stren®, Trilene®, Ugly Stick®, and XTools®.

Makes you wonder...

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 12:37:53 AM »
Can you say monopoly...
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2009, 07:32:34 AM »
Take a look at the Daiwa Black Gold series of spinning reels. Might be a little over what you wanna spend (but they can also be found a little cheaper on EBay). They are very durable, well made reels. They were first introduced in the 1980's and the design has changed very little if at all. I own several that were purchased in the 80's. Other than being serviced and having the drag washers replaced every other year and some boat rash they all are in tip top fishing form.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009, 08:30:34 AM »
I've owned a BG30 for many years.  I agree.  They are a nice, solid reel.  Nothing fancy.  There's no instant anti-reverse or long cast spool.  Just a very simple, durable design like the old SS series. t^ 

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 08:32:11 AM »

they now make a self service kit.  saw a whole instructional video on it and everything was step by step.  looks easier than taking apart any other reel i ever have.  

off to another topic.  reels that are great on the boat do not necessarily mean they will be great in the surf.  surf fishing usually means getting your equipment wet with back splash at least. along with that back splash comes tons of sand.  if your reel can be opened fairly easily with a screw driver, and doesnt have water proof seals, it will get inside.  sand inside equals a dead reel.  just my opinion, and my little experience.

Offline Vinnym

• Morning Dew Sportfishing
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
I like Penn but I do agree the older models were made much better. I have some old reels that were my fathers and they are still working well. Cleaning and lube is the key. Most of my fishing is from the boat so I don't use spinning reels much. The Shimano Bait Runner is a good reel for both surf and livelining on the boat. I have had one for 30+ years now. (I do have newer reels as well, they are not all antiques)

Check out the Raritan Bay Anglers Club flea market on 1/31.  t^ There will be some reel guys there and you can get some good deals. Especially if you know what your looking for.
Morning Dew Sport Fishing
Perth Amboy

Tight Lines & Calm Seas

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 09:37:50 AM »

they now make a self service kit.  saw a whole instructional video on it and everything was step by step.  looks easier than taking apart any other reel i ever have.  

off to another topic.  reels that are great on the boat do not necessarily mean they will be great in the surf.  surf fishing usually means getting your equipment wet with back splash at least. along with that back splash comes tons of sand.  if your reel can be opened fairly easily with a screw driver, and doesnt have water proof seals, it will get inside.  sand inside equals a dead reel.  just my opinion, and my little experience.
while I agree w/ you I have to say I own 1 vs and 3 stella reels ,I think the stellas are better for my needs and hold up very well .you can take the apart w/ a screw driver but nothing has gotten into mine ,I use my 6000 in the surf and on the boat and I just regreased it last month for the first time in years and it was clean as the day I bought it inside ,IMO it is just the quality of the reels you choose to buy ,cheap gear dont last .

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 11:13:36 AM »
I used an old Daiwa in the surf for 15 years and until I was given a Shimano Stradic this year, that reel was still going...as was the other same model that my father purchased at the same time.  That reel has taken dunkings and drops in the sand.  As long as it was cleaned after, no problems!

The VS, Zeebaas, Shimano Stellas, Daiwa Saltiga, etc...are all extremely nice reels, just too rich for my blood!  Most of the time, my reel is not getting dunked or dropped, so for my practical needs a solid middle of the line surf reel works fine.  If for some reason the reels break, I just get another.  I know there are certainly people who fish in conditions and they need the best quality that can handle dunking and sand consistently.  Me personally, right now, an high end reel like those would be overkill!

TT^

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2009, 11:21:15 AM »
I agree w/ ya 100 % I got luck w/ mine I was at a dealer show and after talking w/ reps I was offered a deal I could never pass up ,I ordered almost a dozen reels on the spot.Other wise I wouldnt spend the money on them .I have 2 stradics and love them I did over 1000 fish on my 3000 last season and not one problem I would buy another in a minute

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-