Author Topic: Seattle firm pushes for even larger wind farm off of Atlantic City  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Captain Dave Wittenborn

• Sponsor
    • Capt Daves Charters
By BEN LEACH Staff Writer, 609-272-7261
Published: Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Jersey-based companies aren't the only ones interested in the Atlantic coast's wind power potential.
Seattle-based Grays Harbor Ocean Energy Co. has proposed a wind farm about 10 miles off the coast of Atlantic City. Other projects that have been proposed would put offshore wind farms about 16 miles off the coast. All, including the Grays Harbor proposal, are concentrated in the same area of the ocean.

The proposed project would generate 1,000 megawatts of wind and wave energy, which would be enough to power about 300,000 homes in New Jersey. In comparison, the three projects that have been approved so far - Bluewater Wind, Fishermen's Energy and Garden State Offshore Energy - each are expected to generate about 350 megawatts of power.

Burton Hamner, president of Grays Harbor Ocean Energy, said the site - one of six across the country the company has proposed for wind farms - was chosen not because of New Jersey's increased interest in wind power, but because it met all of the criteria his company identified as being well-suited for wind power.

The criteria included having a relatively shallow shelf and remaining outside of shipping lanes as well as providing energy for a state that has higher electricity costs. According to the Energy Information Administration, New Jersey has the fourth highest electricity rate in the country, an average of 17.26 cents per kilowatt hour. "There's nowhere else (besides the six sites) that fits our criteria," Hamner said.

According to Hamner, the company would use mobile jack-up platforms. The turbines would rest on top of the platforms and, after construction on land was complete, would be taken out to sea with a semi-submersible barge. Once at sea, the legs would be lowered onto the seabed.

Hamner said the technology would not require expensive ships from Europe that have special cranes designed for deploying turbines, which is used in monopile technology. He also said the platforms have proved to withstand Force 5 hurricanes.

The turbines "have to survive every wave, every day, all the time," Hamner said. "But the waves only have to win once."

The technology also would allow power generation from wave energy, which would be captured by oscillating water columns on the jacks.

The company filed an application to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, or FERC, in October. Like the other sites being explored by companies in New Jersey, sites on the Outer Continental Shelf have to be approved for leasing before a company can begin construction.

In October, the FERC announced that it had jurisdiction over hydroelectric projects on the Outer Continental Shelf. Hamner filed a proposal to lease the site with the FERC, based on the wave energy the project would generate. The FERC does not regulate wind projects.

The lease claim is being disputed by the Minerals Management Service, which has the ability to lease the Outer Continental Shelf for alternative energy projects, according to the Energy Policy Act of 2005. The MMS argues that is should be the sole leasing agency for offshore alternative energy projects.

The MMS has yet to finalize its leasing policy, but a decision is expected to be made early in 2009. According to Nicholas Pardi, a spokesman for the MMS, the two government agencies are trying to resolve the conflicting lease claims.

While it may seem like the ocean could get crowded with wind projects, anything that already has been approved is set to move forward. According to the BPU, any company that wants to build an offshore wind farm needs to go through the same licensing procedures as all of the other wind energy companies.

"We like that the BPU has a really public stakeholder process that balances various uses of the ocean in a planned manner," said Dan Cohen, president of Fishermen's Energy.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Seattle firm pushes for even larger wind farm off of Atlantic City
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 09:24:52 AM »
All this sounds great but the problem seems to be coming from the public that does not understand the dire straights we are in over alternative sources of energy.

It is the same reason we have wasted millions of dollars in fighting over the licensing of Oyster Creek. 
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:21:03 AM »
New Jersey has the fourth highest electricity rate in the country, an average of 17.26 cents per kilowatt hour.

Did they really need to tell NJ Citizens that our electricity costs are high rofla 5hrug ???!

Sounds great...hopefully we will see it in my lifetime! 

Online Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 07:43:14 PM »
 t^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 05:03:56 PM »
big government agencies arguing over who owns the leasing rights to the continental shelf -that's so last Tuesday.. way back in 1981 WEPC - Warren's Energy Production Company - was formed, and we claimed all the rights to all energy everywhere before ANYONE- so start paying ME right now and I might let you build - or if you don't I will SUE and get all your money anyways

i need a bailout  nosmly

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:34:49 PM »
Ater some hot sauce/wings, they could open a wind farm in my living room. grtn  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 09:33:32 PM »
Ater some hot sauce/wings, they could open a wind farm in my living room. grtn  <'((((><

rofla rofla

I thought it was natural gas

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 12:05:41 AM »
<a href="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZSfox000%2526i%253D10%252F10%255F1%255F105%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html" target="_blank">[img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_105.gif[/img][/url]
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-