Author Topic: I have a question  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Great American Fisherman

I have a question
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:51:27 PM »
I'm not in the market for these and don't have a truck for them.  But, I always see trucks with the rod holders on the front of the truck with the rods in them while driving on Long Beach BLVD.  However, I do not see that, at least I don't think I do on the Parkway or RT 287.  Can you drive on highways with rods in these holders? 

I was curious.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 06:13:44 AM by Sam3 »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: I have a question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 08:58:10 PM »
Don't know of a law against it t^

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
I don't think there is any restriction on it.  I've seen them on the Parkway...I've done it on the parkway. 
You probably just aren't seeing it based on the law of averages (or some other statistically thing).  The closer to the water, the more you'll see it. 

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »
Some guys do not like to travel on the road with the rods in the racks in front of their vehicle due to road dirt/dust/grime, whatever you want to call it.

Some feel that the speed of the vehicle causes the above listed to get imbedded in their reels as it is 'kicked up' by the vehicles in front of them. Is this a legit concern? That, I do not know.  5hrug
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 09:40:52 PM »
not sure if an actual law but i did hear that they can get you for obstruction of drivers view if your rods are in the holders while driving (just like hanging something from your mirror)if they really want to be a pain about it!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 09:51:59 PM »
there is no law against it, but make sure you use reel covers if you do to prevent the grime as stated above.  Also, don't have the line through the eyes and a lure on it because high speeds will snap the line and you will lose whatever tackel that is on it.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 11:24:13 PM »
As all here have mentioned all good ideas.  As far as I know and I have asked a good friend who is a trooper on the parkway that there is no law against it but if they want to get you for something else and stop you, obstruction of view would probably work.

The main reason you do not see to many driving at high speeds with rods hanging on for dear life is because as was mentioned is the road dirt getting into places that might damage to reels.  But there are many horror stories I have heard from breaking rods on low tree limbs, having all the line come unraveled from the spool, to plugs going through the windshield fsrom a plug or metal getting loose and finding the windshield before the owner could stop and secure it.

I personally would not travel any distance with the rods in the holder.  I live in Toms River and I think I know every tree that could cause a problem between my house and the beach.  And yes I do use the holders but I am only traveling a few miles and most of that is on Rt 37.

I hope this helps.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 11:39:26 PM »
When I had my truck with the rodholders on the front, my main concern was less about the reels, and more about gravel and small stones possibly hitting the rods.  If that stuff hits the blanks at high speed it could definitely bruise the graphite.  You may not notice it then, but sometime down the road when you have a nice fish on, SNAP! nosmly

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 08:51:57 PM »
All the posts make good sense. You never know what could happen. The rooftop racks are less likely to have grime and grit problems.  chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-