Author Topic: Tuna Charter Questions  (Read 5568 times)

Offline lost sailor

Tuna Charter Questions
« on: January 22, 2009, 01:25:39 PM »
0 for 3 on offshore tuna trips----1 party boat and 2 private charters. I am beginning to feel like a broken mirror on Friday the 13th.

Any tips on which boats/charter captains are on top of their game (after 3 trips, I have seen some crazy stuff). Best month/week to target? I know little about this fishery, and I need to educate myself on the scene before I spend any more time and $$ on 2009 reservations!!

Thanks-----LostSailor
Play Time is Over.

Offline Vinnym

• Morning Dew Sportfishing
Re: Tuna Charter Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 03:35:52 PM »
I have been fishing on the Mimi out of Pt. Pleasant the last few years. We have been going around the 2nd week of Sept and have done well. This year we had 2 bluefin and 14 yellowfin along with 2 mahi. I lost a bluefin that went between 175-200 pounds. It's a hard boat to charter because they fill up quickly. Best bet is to book early for the best times. Sometimes it's not the boat your on as much as the time you're going. It's hit or miss when you book so far in advance. I was on another trip in August and we didn't get any. From the reports I got from other capts, the tuna bite was hit or miss this season. The big bite never came around.
Morning Dew Sport Fishing
Perth Amboy

Tight Lines & Calm Seas

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
It was a very tough year (2008) for the offshore fishing, not just for yourself but for all. A buddy of mine did 3 trips on the Sea Devil out of PP and came home empty handed all 3 times and he is no slouch when it comes to tuna fishing.

Vinnym is right on the mark, the bite was a very hit or miss affair. Good trips were far a few between.

It's all about timing, having the right water, bait not to mention getting the tuna to cooperate.

As for boats to go on, we have a lot of good captains in NJ on both charter and party boats that know how to get it done offshore, but as good as they are they can't put fish in the boat if there's none to catch.

As for when to go, for me the tuna season starts mostly on the troll and then by sept thru the end of the season it's mostly a chunking affair.  I prefer the fall. Plus the bigger fish always seem to come up later in the season.

I usually just sit back, check the offshore reports and take it from there. when the fishing gets hot that's when I pull the string and get out there. I don't like to book anything to far in advance. until I hear good reports. Also if you find a boat that you prefer and it's booked for a date you want, what I have done in the past is to ask the boat to call me if they get a last minute cancellation. Sometimes you get lucky.

I for one hope that 2009 is better than last, I have very little tuna left in my freezer.

Kenny.....

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 06:26:14 PM »
yup...was a pretty tough season out there...mostly longfin and bluefins....the yellowfin bite didnt materialize like past seasons....i also prefer the october chunk...but on the otherhand.....the august troll can be pretty productive....especially when u run into these beauties, all 700lbs of them!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 06:46:06 PM »
I know the feeling Capt Carl.

3 Years ago on a friends boat we caught and released this baby, est. 500 lbs. Put up one hell of a show.

Offline Capt. Carl

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 06:54:46 PM »
yeah man! took ours august of 05....unfortunately my fish decided to jump twice and then sounded for the rest of the fight....about 2 hours backing down in 8-10's with no belt....used only the huki....dead ass tired!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Capt. Carl

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 07:00:04 PM »
here's a shot ....no belt!!!!!!!!!!!! cfzd
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »
How sweet it is.....doesn't matter how, as long as you get em to the boat.

That's the best kinda tired!!

Great pictures Capt!

Man this winter is long. nosmly

Offline Duffman

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 07:07:33 PM »
0 for 3 on offshore tuna trips----1 party boat and 2 private charters. I am beginning to feel like a broken mirror on Friday the 13th.

Any tips on which boats/charter captains are on top of their game (after 3 trips, I have seen some crazy stuff). Best month/week to target? I know little about this fishery, and I need to educate myself on the scene before I spend any more time and $$ on 2009 reservations!!

Thanks-----LostSailor
 Dont be discouraged.  Flat out, '08 sucked, period.  As far as where to go/who to go with, all depends on the type of fishing you prefer.
  If trolling is your thing, a 6-pack is the only way to go.
  Bait fishing opens up a whole other set of options as far as 6-pack, large charter 10-15 guys or headboat.
 Trolling can start whenever. Didnt we have a shot at YFT's in late April/early May last year when a few warm water eddies shot off the stream into the Hudson???  (If I remember right)
 Chunking - Late August on/ cant beat late Sept and Oct.  Fish off the full and new moons to avoid the current.
  As far who to sail with?  I'd be more than happy to PM ya with suggestions. Dont want to lay names out here and get any controversy going (he sucks, he's good, ya get he idea!!)
  Let me know if your interested. Hope this helped.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:13:54 PM by Duffman »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 07:11:50 PM »
Hey guys

Kenny and I know each other well. Glad to be aboard.  Lets talk TUNA!!!

Capt. Scott Armstrong
Wilmington NC

Offline Capt. Carl

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 07:20:16 PM »
hey capt. scott!
welcome to the site!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 07:21:30 PM »
Nice pic Duff t^

Offline Capt. Carl

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 07:23:01 PM »
sashimi heaven i would say!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 07:23:48 PM »
Thanks guys!

I taught Kenny everything he knows.

My brotha........
Capt. Scott Armstrong
Wilmington NC

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 07:25:31 PM »
 hhppy rofla rofla hhppy

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 07:28:47 PM »
Yeah that is pretty funny... What happened this year! Water never showed up or what. Tuna was off for sure. Heard the Swordfishing was good.
Capt. Scott Armstrong
Wilmington NC

Offline Duffman

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 07:34:40 PM »
Heard the Swordfishing was good.

It was OK  ;D  ;D

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 09:43:45 PM »

Thanks-----LostSailor

Your not the only one. My first 3 times going out for tuna just about the whole boat struck out. First trip O, Second trip 2, Third trip  9, and I was on the big name party boats that hunt tuna everyday when the season kicks off. Thats why they call it fishing not catching because one night they could hammered them and then the other night it could be dead. On my 4th trip I hooked up 4 times and landed 3, and the boats total for that trip was 19. I was one of the lucky guys that night. Just keep going, your night will come.
Good Luck
Mark

Offline thompsonny

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 07:42:48 PM »
Yeah that is pretty funny... What happened this year! Water never showed up or what. Tuna was off for sure. Heard the Swordfishing was good.
Planning a trip to Wilmington, NC in April - how is the fishing that time of year? 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-