Author Topic: Saltwater Fishing Tax Would Sink New York's Recreational Fishing Community  (Read 4609 times)

Offline The Broken One

• Super Hero Member
Saltwater Fishing Tax Would Sink New York's Recreational Fishing Community

Albany, NY - January 27, 2009 - When New York Governor David Paterson unveiled his 2009 Executive Budget, many New Yorkers couldn't help but snicker at such belt-tightening proposals as the 15% "obesity tax" on non-diet drinks.  For the recreational fishing and boating industry however, particularly a new coalition called Save Boating and Fishing Jobs in New York, the sweeping set of new taxes levied at their "active" tourism industry in New York is no laughing matter. 

Efforts to force saltwater anglers to buy a $19 dollar saltwater license ($40 for out of state anglers) before casting a line in New York's coastal waters would strike a heavy blow to marinas, tackle shops and marine dealers, most of whom are already suffering from a two-year-long decline in business. In addition to a saltwater license, the governor's budget would also impose a 5% luxury tax on all boats costing over $200,000, an increase in marina fees, an increase in state park fees and a lifting of the cap on state fuel taxes.

"We're outraged that the Governor would recommend not one, but five new or increased taxes targeting fishermen, boaters and the $1 billion New York recreational fishing industry. We're experiencing an unprecedented downturn in fishing activity. Even fishing from the shore will be an expensive outing under this tax plan," said Jim Donofrio, Executive Director of Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA), a national advocacy group for recreational fishing.

Joining in RFA's opposition is a coalition comprised of the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA), New York Fishing Tackle Trade Association (NYFTTA), United Boatmen of New York and the New York Marine Trades Association (NYMTA).  The new coalition is calling itself Save Boating and Fishing Jobs in New York.

Recreational marine fishing in New York created $812 million in sales, directly supported 5,365 jobs, provided $424 million in value-added economic impact and $126 million in tax revenue, according to a 2006 National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) study.  NMFS excluded significant revenue from excise taxes applied to fishing trips, bait and tackle sales, and marine fuel.

"Fishermen already pay a huge amount in taxes to enjoy their sport," Donofrio said.  "The state should create more incentives to spur its growth. A healthy, vibrant recreational fishery can increase revenue.  Now is the time to support this important industry, not stifle it."

Coalition leaders believe that efforts by the state government to levy increased fees on regional fishing and boating could seriously impact New York's marine tourism industry.  "When a politician implements a $2 cigarette tax or a 15% obesity tax, he'll tell you unabashedly that it's designed in part to stop people from using these products," said Jim Hutchinson, Jr. Executive Editor of The Fisherman.  "Likewise, this over-taxation of boating and fishing will push many people and businesses over the edge.  Fishermen will stay home, small businesses will be hurt and the state will lose more in general tax revenue than it gains from these sweeping taxes."

The NYFTTA has worked in recent months with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYS DEC) to design a marine district saltwater registry that will minimize the cost to fishermen while increasing federal funding of fisheries management and boating infrastructure.  "We hope the governor and legislature will drop the tax and instead support the saltwater registry being developed by the NYS DEC," said an obviously frustrated Gene Young, President of NYFTTA. "The Governor's license plan will smash open the lock box that now prevents the diversion of funds earmarked for marine conservation. The license fees will disappear into a general conservation fund, and the net effect will be a cutback in marine fisheries management."

"It has become tough enough to enjoy fishing in just the past few years.  Summer fluke season has been shortened, winter flounder fishing soon will be banned and there's lower take limits on other local game fish," stated Philip Curcio of United Boatmen of New York, a trade organization representing the voice of the recreational charter and party boat industry in New York.

To learn more and to send a form letter to Governor Paterson, visit the RFA website at www.joinrfa.org.
The Recreational Fishing Alliance is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues. The RFA Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation's saltwater fisheries. For more information, go to www.joinrfa.org or call 1-888-JOIN-RFA.
"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back in the same box"

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
When will they start taxing stupidity...Oh, I forgot, that would mean the politicians would be taxing themselves, how silly of me.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Vinnym

• Morning Dew Sportfishing
 nts The next thing they will do is put toll booths out on the water. (Oh, I hope the ploiticians don't read this) nts
Morning Dew Sport Fishing
Perth Amboy

Tight Lines & Calm Seas

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
How ridiculous!  Talk about kicking people while they are down.  I thought when there was a recession, there is supposed to be tax relief, not tax increases.  When he took over office, I thought he was going to be a good change for NY State...I guess not 5hrug?!?!

TT^

Offline Captain Dave Wittenborn

• Sponsor
    • Capt Daves Charters
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »

Recreational Fishing Alliance
Press Release   For Immediate Release

Albany, NY - January 27, 2009 - When New York Governor David Paterson unveiled his 2009 Executive Budget, many New Yorkers couldn't help but snicker at such belt-tightening proposals as the 15% "obesity tax" on non-diet drinks.  For the recreational fishing and boating industry however, particularly a new coalition called Save Boating and Fishing Jobs in New York, the sweeping set of new taxes levied at their "active" tourism industry in New York is no laughing matter. 

Efforts to force saltwater anglers to buy a $19 dollar saltwater license ($40 for out of state anglers) before casting a line in New York's coastal waters would strike a heavy blow to marinas, tackle shops and marine dealers, most of whom are already suffering from a two-year-long decline in business. In addition to a saltwater license, the governor's budget would also impose a 5% luxury tax on all boats costing over $200,000, an increase in marina fees, an i! ncrease in state park fees and a lifting of the cap on state fuel taxes.

"We're outraged that the Governor would recommend not one, but five new or increased taxes targeting fishermen, boaters and the $1 billion New York recreational fishing industry. We're experiencing an unprecedented downturn in fishing activity. Even fishing from the shore will be an expensive outing under this tax plan," said Jim Donofrio, Executive Director of Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA), a national advocacy group for recreational fishing.

Joining in RFA's opposition is a coalition comprised of the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA), New York Fishing Tackle Trade Association (NYFTTA), United Boatmen of New York and the New York Marine Trades Association (NYMTA).  The new coalition is calling itself Save Boating and Fishing Jobs in New York.

Recreational marine fishing in New York created $812 million in sales, directly supported 5,365 j! obs, provided $424 million in value-added economic impact and ! $126 mil lion in tax revenue, according to a 2006 National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) study.  NMFS excluded significant revenue from excise taxes applied to fishing trips, bait and tackle sales, and marine fuel.

"Fishermen already pay a huge amount in taxes to enjoy their sport," Donofrio said.  "The state should create more incentives to spur its growth. A healthy, vibrant recreational fishery can increase revenue.  Now is the time to support this important industry, not stifle it."

Coalition leaders believe that efforts by the state government to levy increased fees on regional fishing and boating could seriously impact New York's marine tourism industry.  "When a politician implements a $2 cigarette tax or a 15% obesity tax, he'll tell you unabashedly that it's designed in part to stop people from using these products," said Jim Hutchinson, Jr. Executive Editor of The Fisherman.  "Likewise, this over-taxation of boating and f! ishing will push many people and businesses over the edge.  Fishermen will stay home, small businesses will be hurt and the state will lose more in general tax revenue than it gains from these sweeping taxes."

The NYFTTA has worked in recent months with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYS DEC) to design a marine district saltwater registry that will minimize the cost to fishermen while increasing federal funding of fisheries management and boating infrastructure.  "We hope the governor and legislature will drop the tax and instead support the saltwater registry being developed by the NYS DEC," said an obviously frustrated Gene Young, President of NYFTTA. "The Governor's license plan will smash open the lock box that now prevents the diversion of funds earmarked for marine conservation. The license fees will disappear into a general conservation fund, and the net effect will be a cutback in marine fisheries management."
"It has become tough enough to enjoy fishing in jus! t the pa st few years.  Summer fluke season has been shortened, winter flounder fishing soon will be banned and there's lower take limits on other local game fish," stated Philip Curcio of United Boatmen of New York, a trade organization representing the voice of the recreational charter and party boat industry in New York.

To learn more and to send a form letter to Governor Paterson, visit the RFA website at www.joinrfa.org.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
That sounds very unfair. This will effect NJ anglers fishing in NY waters too.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
 5hrug
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
They all SUCK!! If I was around then , I would have been involved in the Boston Tea Party! >:D  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
We may have to start a protest on these and other regulations. I am up for one and I am sure we can get a bunch of other fishermen to join in.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Maybe we can start harassing PETA at the same time and give them some of their own medicine.

I would say flooding the in boxes of all the politicians in NJ for starters would be fun.  Can you imagine all the sportsmen and women coming together and e-mailing at the same time talk about meltdown the politicians would be running for the hills.

The problem with politics the public talks a good story but when it comes time to act they fall behind the wall to see what will happen to those that do in fact react.

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Vinnym

• Morning Dew Sportfishing
Re: Saltwater Fishing Tax Would Sink New York's Recreational Fishing Community
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 09:04:20 AM »
I thought PETA was a good group 5hrug What wrong with a People Eating Tasty Animals ???
Maybe we can start harassing PETA at the same time and give them some of their own medicine.

I would say flooding the in boxes of all the politicians in NJ for starters would be fun.  Can you imagine all the sportsmen and women coming together and e-mailing at the same time talk about meltdown the politicians would be running for the hills.

The problem with politics the public talks a good story but when it comes time to act they fall behind the wall to see what will happen to those that do in fact react.

Morning Dew Sport Fishing
Perth Amboy

Tight Lines & Calm Seas

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 09:54:55 AM »
While I think we all realize that some sort of saltwater license may be enevitable for everyone, the timing of this could not be worse for the NY fishing industry.. With the NY Fluke regs equating to practically "doormats and up" and  economy in the dumps, this should drive a stake thru the heart of an already struggling industry. I grew up fishing the Hudson River, and later helped to promote the spring Striper fishery. One of the questions I would get most frequently at seminars and shows, concerned license requirements on the River. One of the major attractions for non-resident "do-it yourself" anglers and charter customers alike  wanting to partake in the great spring runs was the fact that a license was not required on the "Marine District" of the Hudson.. Add to this the fact that early in the run, the feeder creeks often provide the best action, which in order to fish, already requires a freshwater license, so we would now need 2 licenses!  rgmn IMO, a new license requirement now would  all but kill the small Charter industry in the upper River.  But this is just another example of the widespread attacks that outdoorsmen are currently under on all fronts from anti- groups trying to disguise their agendas as "conservation", and using backdoor methods like pricing people out of the sport. It has never been more important for us all to band together and support strong lobby groups like RFA that can provide the kind of political pressure we need to fight these well-funded zealots.  chrz

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »
In New York and New Jersey the fee of one license should cover all the water in the state. Or you should have the option to pay a few extra bucks for a combo license. I already pay to hold a yearly license for Lake George N.Y and also for inland saltwater in North Carolina which is the sounds and brackish rivers. If I fished in the ocean of North Carolina it would require a different license. I don't mind supporting the fishing environment but I don't like getting screwed either.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 02:08:42 AM »
As this proposed bill now stands, there is no provision for an Exemtion for Anglers on Party/Charter Boats.

In other words the Capt cannot buy a permit to cover his boat, every angler will have had to purchase a NY Lic on their own.

Unless this changes it will kill Charter/Party Boat Fishing in Raritan Bay.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-