Author Topic: twic card update!!!  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
twic card update!!!
« on: March 03, 2009, 06:34:33 PM »
Just got this news from the charter association

Twic card deadline

Dear NACO Member,

All USCG licensed individuals are required to obtain a TWIC by the 1st week in April 2009.  Failure to obtain a TWIC by the required date could result in your license being revoked.  It makes no difference what you do with your license, if you don't use it, if you operate a 6 pak, an overload vessel, headboat, guide boat, parasail, oil field, whatever, you will need a TWIC.

The easiestt way to get one is to register online at http://twicinformation.tsa.dhs.gov/twicinfo/CenterSearchAction.do follow all of the instructions to set up an appointment.

Keeping You Informed,
National Association of Charterboat Operators

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: twic card update!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 06:37:07 PM »
They were looking the TWIC no longer being required by Charter Boat operators as they have no need to go into restricted areas in ports, etc. Apparently, once they found the cash cow this program is, they did not want to release any of the money they collected.  nosmly
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:41:46 PM »
That figures, hit the hard working American with more requirements that cost money!  100 some odd dollars for a plastic card and 15 minutes of work... cfzd unreal.  I wish I made that figure an hour.  I guess you Boat Captains need it in case the Charter of Terrorists want to blow up one of the wrecks or the Mud Hole nosmly!

TT^

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:44:31 PM »
yup....another money maker that you cant refuse to do.....you would think all the background checks by the uscg would eliminate the need for this but i guess not!....got my twic long ago!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 06:49:01 PM »
you would think all the background checks by the uscg would eliminate the need for this but i guess not!....got my twic long ago!

You'd think with the BILLIONS of dollars of Homeland Security Funding, this TWIC Card could be covered as an expense under that?  I like too, when they always say..."well it's only a 100 or so dollars!"  If I had a penny for the number of times you heard that...we would all be fishing at a private tropical island for the rest of our lives!

rgmn rgmn

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 06:51:41 PM »
good info for the Capts
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Joe G

• Sponsor
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »
$132.50 and again finger printing and applications and paperwork only to have to wait weeks for the damn thing in the mail!! enough is enough.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
The way I recall it, if you got your license within the past half year or so they could use the background invest from that and the fee would have been lower.

I was a cop for 26 years and was still on the job when I got my TWIC card. Still had to have a background invest on me.  5hrug  nts Heck, I used to perform background invests on new hires for the job and here I was having one done on me. Go figure.  ;D

As far as a card for charter boat guys, it's all about the Benjamins.  nosmly

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 08:49:51 PM »
When the program originally came out they were not going to require Chater/Party Boat Capt's to have it, then they changed there mind money money money.

If they had a brain, they would combine the MMD Card, your Capt Lic and the Twic into one card..................but nnnnnnnoooooooo they would not get as much money and it would be to easy......

Try to use your TWIC card as an ID somewhere, noone will take it or recognise it not even the TSA at the Airport...............

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 07:09:05 AM »
yeah....twic seems like a rip off but i tell you what a true rip off is.....the 500 dollar fee charged for a "waiver" to get documented if you never received the original builders certificate when you bought your boat! nosmly >:( rgmn
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 11:11:54 PM »

Try to use your TWIC card as an ID somewhere, noone will take it or recognise it not even the TSA at the Airport...............

It's funny you said this Capt. Bob.  I was selling a gun just yesterday.  I asked for the customer's ID and he pulled out his DL and SBI card.  Then he pulled out his TWIC card and said, "Do you want to see this too?"  I told him I didn't need that card.  I think he knew that I didn't need to see it, but maybe he just felt that after shelling out all that money for it, he might as well show it to someone. ;D

As far as fingerprinting goes.  These are the one thing on your body that never changes.  However, even though I have been fingerprinted and my prints are on file with the ATF (for liquor licenses, FFLs, etc.) I still need to get my prints re-done every time I get a new job that requires them!  It doesn't make sense. ::)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 04:05:21 PM »
The way I see it, If he has any type fo CG Mariner's document he will need one.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-