Author Topic: NJ FLuke Regs for 2009  (Read 7466 times)

Offline Capt. Joe G

• Sponsor
NJ FLuke Regs for 2009
« on: March 05, 2009, 06:23:08 PM »
Word is shorter season May thru sept4, 6 fish and 18"s again we miss out on the fall season!! I would like to know what commercial season is!  I know more will come from members who went to meeting..

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: NJ FLuke Regs for 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:44:21 PM »
 cfzd
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 07:31:40 PM »
 nosmly

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 07:37:54 PM »
Just got the call

May 23 to Sept 4th 6 fish at 18 inches

Offline Great American Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 07:41:33 PM »
What about the Sea Bass and Porgy?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 08:15:08 PM »
Jim, porgy is to remain the same. Sea bass may go up to 12 1/2". That depends on the Feds. First word was that the seabass was overfished. Therefore talk of 12 1/2". Second look showed it was not overfished so if the Feds keep their regs at 12 the council will put in for the same.

Yes, I was at the meeting and CaptBob has the dates correct.

Very interesting to finally go to one of these and see firsthand what was happening. They did have a session where guys who signed up before the meeting to speak could speak when the time came for that. It was split almost in half between the option that won and an option that was for the same amount of fish and size but for a June 1 to Sept 7 season.

Guys would tell the council what option they liked and why. Most, of course, spoke of what season was best for their area but not all from the same areas agreed on the same option. Most of the bait & tackles wanted the earlier season to give it a shot in the arm to get started (also for the extra days guys would be on the water).

Conclusion: The earlier season does give more fishing days. Up north, that will not matter as the fluking does not get into full swing until later in June any more. If the water temp does not warm up (like the last several years) the beginning of the season will be a bust.

The most important thing I learned from the experience of going to this meeting. WE NEED MORE PEOPLE TO ATTEND!!!

Truth be told, more people need to attend the meetings PRIOR to this one so we can have a bigger voice in what options are available to us at this meeting.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Joe G

• Sponsor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 08:19:24 PM »
Capt. Joe.. Sorry I could go but think about most sportsmen fish weekends. They hold the meeting in Galloway at 4pm??? thats Fair?? Whats sad is once we start losing days and numbers we will never get them back..please check your pm have a question but don't want a war!!

Offline The Broken One

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:00:39 PM »
Truth be told, more people need to attend the meetings PRIOR to this one so we can have a bigger voice in what options are available to us at this meeting.

Joe Joe.... I have attend these meetings for other species as well.... And the TRUTH is that no matter what was said THEY had the season rules set in their minds BEFORE ANYONE WALKED IN THAT ROOM  >:(
"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back in the same box"

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »

Tom
You got that right

Offline gjb1969

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:20:56 PM »
they are dummmmmmm rgmn get all the big breeders rgmn A HOLES
dirty water angler

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 09:25:08 PM »
Tom, you are probably 100% correct on this, BUT, I truely believe that if enough of us get out and let them know that we mean business and will not settle for business as usual we can and will make a difference.

We, as fishermen, have to challange the people who are coming up with these insane rules and regulations. We must hold them to a higher standard than they have now. They can only do what they are doing because no one is there to keep them in check. If we were to gather as a group and show up for these meeting it will work.

It worked when the NJOA, then a new organization, gathered up the troups and stormed Monmouth and caused the ouster of State Sen. Ellen Karcher, Assemblymen Michael Panter.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 09:30:24 PM »
Sounds good Joe,  Maybe we can go as a NJSWF.com group and have a common plan prior to the meeting. ???
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 09:31:43 PM »
Joe

I agree about being heard as one voice...but the main problem is we have so many organizations looking out for us, the message gets diluted as they do not want to give up home rule to help each other out.

Until we can totally unify, we are doomed

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 09:53:04 PM »
CaptBob, another thing we agree on.  t^

We do have to have one group leading the battle, not a bunch of splintered groups each with their own agenda. Not that there is anything wrong with their agenda, but we do need to be more organized as a group with one voice.

Offline Great American Fisherman

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 10:43:21 PM »
Joe,

You have to go after the people who work for us.  You have to threaten them.  Help us or you are out.  Bottom line. Our tax money pays their salaries.  Bottom line.  But as I said, with a failing economy, job loss, sinking DOW.  Who will listen?  I do.  But who else will.

Online Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 11:45:32 PM »
...but the main problem is we have so many organizations looking out for us, the message gets diluted as they do not want to give up home rule to help each other out.

Until we can totally unify, we are doomed
We do have to have one group leading the battle... we do need to be more organized as a group with one voice.

whs whs Absolutely 100%! t^

Although I'm still opposed to the saltwater registration (license), it may help to get our numbers counted as a whole.  In fact it may wind up being the only benefit achieved by its implementation.

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 07:30:12 AM »

Joe Joe.... I have attend these meetings for other species as well.... And the TRUTH is that no matter what was said THEY had the season rules set in their minds BEFORE ANYONE WALKED IN THAT ROOM  >:(

That statement is patently untrue. I can assure you that up until the vote no one knew what it was going to be, and many believed (including at the council) that it would likely have gone with the Labor Day option, myself included.

The simple fact is the conspiracy theories are BS, plain and simple.

Some comments have been made about holding the people who make the decision to a higher standard, the people who make up the numbers, etc., and I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. It's also been commented about organizing, examples of NJOA with state senators etc.

One thing to remember here is the people who voted at the meeting yesterday are NOT THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE NUMBERS OR APPROVE THE OPTIONS.

the state works within the guidelines that come from NMFS and ASFMC, which is where the pressure needs to be.

Obviously there are issues at the state level as well, I'm not arguing that point. My point is in the case of what options we can pick from, the state works with what ASMFC and NMFS allow them to work with.

If people want to know how things work and who decides what etc. please feel free to start threads asking any question you want (probably in the fisheries management forum I guess) and I will gladly answer any questions I can when I can.

Specifically for the meeting yesterday though, the fact is no one knew what the option chosen would be, and I can assure you there were quite a few surprised people when the decision was made (and all of us were disappointed, even the ones that wanted the option chosen because they ALL SUCKED!!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 07:55:11 AM »
The talk in the room and the body language of the members on the council indicated to me that option number 2 was going to be chosen. I was very surprised that option 5 was the one approved.

There were good points brought out by people who favored one option over the other as to why they preferred that option.

I do commend the people on the council for listening to the people who spoke out and I feel that what was said did have a bearing on how they voted.

I estimated about 100 people to be in the audience with about 20 or so speaking to council.

Online Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »
Thanks for setting the record straight TB.  Where rumors abound it's nice to have someone who can cut through all the BS! t^

Offline Scode68

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 04:29:58 PM »
Sea Bass had the probably had every Fluke fisherman after them because they could not fish for the Fluke in the fall. 

I know I switched over to them when the Fluke season closed.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-