Author Topic: Boat cleaning  (Read 2070 times)

Offline PHIL

Boat cleaning
« on: April 01, 2009, 02:28:55 PM »
Hey guys. I am picking up my new boat 20ft. c.c. sea hunt this Saturday. It has been sitting on a rack winterized for almost 3 years now. It's an 04. 5hrug grtn I had all the engine maintenance done already. I will be trailering this boat. When washing it, do I need to use Marine grade soap, or can I use regular car wash soap? Of course the people at West Marine say use boat soap. But is it a big deal to use regular soap and sponge? Can I use a brush on the hull or just a sponge? What about waxing? Sitting there for so long, I'm sure it needs a good waxing. Buffer or no buffer. I bought boat wax. Please be thorough with your answers as I am new to this and want my boat to look good and of course feel good. Thanx again for your help guys.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Boat cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 02:38:22 PM »
since it has been sitting for quite some time, i would use the strong stuff from a West Marine.  ONce the boat is clean, you can upkeep it with regular soap.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 02:52:56 PM »
Don't know how bad she looks but as Nick said, you might want to start with either ON/OFF or Spray 9 aand then keep it up with regular cleaners.

Once you get her where you want her, Purple Power that you can get a Lowes in Gallon jus works great, think its around $4.99 gal

Offline PHIL

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:01:57 PM »
Thanks. What about waxing?  slt

Offline The Broken One

• Super Hero Member
"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back in the same box"

Offline mchizhik

• Sponsor
    • Baitbagz.com
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 11:40:29 PM »
I am a boat detailer by trade. D'oh, I know.
You need to get 3M compound, and a high speed buffer. ($23 Chicago tools model) Compound, then wash. You don't need marine soap, especially if you are on land.(marine soap is supposed to be "greener", but I doubt it)
 Dawn kitchen soap actually removes any of the wax you may have missed while compounding. It's what I use, and a little goes a long way.
After that, use a marine wax, as they seem to last longer under salty conditions than the non marine waxes. I hope this helps.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-