Author Topic: hand held vhf  (Read 4444 times)

Offline BeN F

hand held vhf
« on: April 14, 2009, 08:06:15 PM »
any body have any input on a decent hand held i wanna spend under 200

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: hand held vhf
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 08:25:06 PM »
if you have a boat, your better off with a hard wired one as you will get better reception.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:25:50 PM »
 whs

What are you using it for?  Primary or as a back up in your ditch bag?  Either way, I would go with an Icom.  The IC M72 is under $200...you can probably find it for around $175 or so online.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/marine/handhelds/m72/default.aspx

TT^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
don't get me wrong, they are fun to have.  You can sit on the beach and contact the boats, or you can go on a party boat and contact others also.  Having a back up is always good, but if your off shore and your hard wired one doesn't work, I am not sure how much the hand held is going to help, depending on the distance. 

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline BeN F

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:21:17 PM »
it will be used as a back up i have a good standard wired in the boat i want the handheld for that just in case lol

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »
Give Matt a call at Task Marine, he's a sponsor here. He was selling one of  standard's model handheld vhf for under $100. If you don't like it he can get you another model. Stardard or Icom are the 2 best vhf manufactures out there, and there's a few  choices that you can pick from  for the $200 range. good luck.

http://taskmarine.com/Electronics.html
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:04:34 PM by Stray Cat »
Mark

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:09:35 PM »
In my opinion, I use my cell phone as back up.  I know some people like back ups, but how about a back up to the back up, or a back up to that also.  It can go on and on.  The only back up you really need for you hard wired vhf is having a second battery on the boat, or have a second antenna hooked up as an emergancy.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 10:12:34 PM »
I've got a Hummingbird 55-S Plus that I got as a gift. I have it charging in my office, and listen to it all the time, getting updates on the weather almost a week in advance, priceless.  I have it in my back pocket as I prepare the boat in the morning, just in case the weather changes. I keep it tuned to Ch.5 while on board the boat, which leaves me free to do whatever with the boat radio. (They are both on at the same time, boat radio scanning most of the time) It is also a back up in case I happen to loose the boat battery power, which leaves the boat radio useless, and the handheld the only means of communication, no matter how short the distance is,( Any is better then none !!!) That leads me to just saying,"Haveing any radio is better then NO radio". Just get one. <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline BeN F

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 11:05:06 PM »
thanks i will try task marine

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 07:59:17 AM »
Ben, We offer marine electronics at wholesale prices as well as marine accessories. Check our website out www.taskmarine.com and click on the Electronics page. I can get anything you see in any store or catalogue/website.
I have in stock Standard Horizon HX 600 handhelds for $79.00 Icoms, Midlands, Cobras etc are also available. Matt.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline PHIL

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »
Hey Ben. I just bought a Standard Horizon hand held vhf last week. I bought it at consumer marine I believe its the 500 model. I paid around 120.00 for it. I bought that one for the same reason you want. For a back up. I also bought that one because it's small, has a big LCD, it's waterproof, and has 5 watts for long distance. There are a few out there under 200.00 but just make sure it's waterproof, some float, and you should get one that has the option to use 5 watts. Hope this helps.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 03:51:06 PM »
The 5 watts is okay but the reason for the handhelds are primerly is for use around a marina or from deck to bridge work.  The antenna on the hand held will limit your signal quite a bit.  That is why you have a full size one on your boat as high as you can get it.  If it is truly for a back up make sure you can detach your antenna from the primary radio and attach your hand held to it.  Even if you have to buy an adapter.

I have been involved with radio communications for over 40 years trust me you do not want to rely on a hand held for line of sight transmissions.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 04:02:45 PM »
If I remember correctly, you typically get one mile of transmitting range for every watt of power in the radio. The hand held radio had five watts of power and therefore will typically transmit five miles.

Someone please correct this if it is wrong.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 04:12:07 PM »
Thats a pretty good bench mark, Capt. Joe, but again it depends on the terrain so as most of the time you are going to use it will be on line of sight just make sure there are no objects in the way as with the smaller antennas a lot will depend on how a clear shot you have.

Just as a reminder Joe your handhelds you used while you were on the job, did you have any dead spots where you could not be heard even though you are using repeaters?

Here in Toms River before they switched over to a trunking system we used VHF and had certain areas that the portable radios had a problem transmitting.  Well those portable radios were only transmitting 5 watts.

What I am saying is if you go off shore do not rely on a handheld radio in an emergency.

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 04:32:01 PM »
If I remember correctly, you typically get one mile of transmitting range for every watt of power in the radio. The hand held radio had five watts of power and therefore will typically transmit five miles.

Someone please correct this if it is wrong.
thats what I heard as well, but then you factor in the height of the antenna on the hard wired one. 

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline BeN F

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Ben, We offer marine electronics at wholesale prices as well as marine accessories. Check our website out www.taskmarine.com and click on the Electronics page. I can get anything you see in any store or catalogue/website.
I have in stock Standard Horizon HX 600 handhelds for $79.00 Icoms, Midlands, Cobras etc are also available. Matt.

sold how do i order lol

thanks every body for the input

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-