Author Topic: Battery set up  (Read 3897 times)

Offline Lt.Willy

• HydraSport Vector 2250 FishBones
Battery set up
« on: June 17, 2009, 05:55:25 PM »
If you guys can spare some advise, I currently have two battery set up with a Perko type switch, 1,2,both.
The fellow that set it up for me used two good batteries but installed two deep cycle batteries and told me that was good like that. I have positives from both going to the switch and the negative terminals are tied from one battery to the second.
It seems like I do not have enough juice to crank over the battery sometimes with authority, so I am wondering if I can run a starting type battery and a deep cycle together, I have been told no so not sure what to do here. Both are new batteries and don't want to lay out for two of the same.
Engine is a Yammie 150 two stroke.

Offline dreamsfloatjoe

• Bait Cutter
  • Bait Cutter
    • Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
Re: Battery set up
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 06:55:33 PM »
... The fellow that set it up for me used two good batteries but installed two deep cycle batteries ...It seems like I do not have enough juice to crank over the battery sometimes with authority ...Engine is a Yammie 150 two stroke.
grtn  Lt Willy, what is the CCA of each of the two good batteries?  What is the CCA of each of the two deep cycle batteries?  A little confused at this end?  Have you had the batteries tested?  How old are the batteries?

I'm thinking two "good" batteries with the correct or more CCA will start a two stroke 150 HP Yammie with authority.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:56:00 PM by dreamsfloatjoe »

DreamsFloat Joe - Mate
M/V Ye Ole Pirate, Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
Fernandina Beach Harbor Marina, Amelia Island, Florida  32034  USA

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:43:41 PM »
A starting battery is meant for that initial short surge of power needed to start an engine and is meant to recharge quickly.

The deep cycle battery is meant to provide a low voltage charge over a long period of time and recharges slower.

Do you have a volt meter?  And what are you reading?  As was asked what is the Cold Cranking Amps?

Offline Lt.Willy

• HydraSport Vector 2250 FishBones
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:58:47 PM »
They are two newer deep cycles, I believe they are 550 CCA, they are fully charged and putting out good voltage.
I may have a starter that needs to be addressed but did not have the slower engine turning when I had the single starting battery last season. But since the conversion last august I have noticed the slower lugging cranking even though the voltage reads good and the cables are good, new and newer.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 10:16:15 PM »
For a starting battry I use an 800, the starting battery is meant for that surge of high voltage.

I always change out one battery every year alternating between the starting and the deep cycle. This way I never have a battery over 2 years old.

While batteries can last longer you have to remember that everytime you recharge them you cause the lead plates to flake a little and they loose some of their charge holding capabilitity.

Also check all connections to make sure they are clean and tight, this could cause a voltage drop to the engine.

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:45:30 AM »
I HAVE 2 DEEP CYCLES with the same setup as you.  they crank a 260 Mercruiser(350 Chevy) with no problem whatsoever. I am on my third season with them.  So, I would suspect If the batteries are in good shape,  the problem lies elsewhere.  Something has to be taking a hard draw.Or could it be a faulty switch?
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 08:00:05 AM »
Sounds like you have to check your starter draw and all connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. I have used deep cycles and cranking batteries with no problems. 550 cca seams a little lite, but should work with no problem. I would use at leats 800 cca. Whenever I put a new battery in, I allways go with a 950 cca.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-