Author Topic: The new Sharkes in the Surf Thread  (Read 2640 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
The new Sharkes in the Surf Thread
« on: April 06, 2010, 11:45:41 PM »
Okay you asked for it well here it is.

I wonder how many people that use our beaches know just how many sharks there are just lurking off the beach.  Fishing shows that on any given evening sharkes are being caught with ease of the beaches of NJ.  With the abundance of bait fish all over during the summer months is it any wonder there are not more anglers trying to land these feisty fighters.

Last summer I saw one angler spend close to an hour bringing in a shark and probably walked over 100 yards from where the fight began.  This could be a sport in itself.

The tackle is not much different than normal just larger.  Like 10/0 hooks or larger.  The rod and reel are no different than you use everyday.  Just use your head and you will win your prize.

I am looking forward to our summer get togethers on IBSP for the Sharks in the Surf this year should be a lot of fun.

This thread should be a good starting point for those that have not had the opportunity to try it.  Lets use it for talks on techniques and tackle even though the tackle is fairly simple and straight forward.  Until you bring in the Surfrocket and its ability to throw chum out where it is needed.  Besides spooling your reel to boot.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: The new Sharkes in the Surf Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 12:15:46 AM »
 :-\ It's not the same.. like Kenny does it :-\ ;D

Sharks in the Surf Family Fun Night 5
t^

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:45:08 AM »
Paul.

I have a shimano stradic 6000 on a 10' tica surge. That's my lure/jigging pole.

I also have an 11' rod with a diawa emcast plus 6000. That's my bait pole.

They both have 150 yards of 50# braid on it with 40# mono backing. Would those rod/reels be ok?

The biggest hooks I have are 6/0, so I'll have to go out and get bigger hooks when the time comes. Maybe if I catch a bluefish I can use it for chum? Just what I heard.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:45:40 AM by Jeffish »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 02:47:21 PM »
Hey Rod, it was not meant to be anything like Ken's.  Only he could put together shark nights like he does.  Besides I love to see the faces of those he spools with the surfrocket.

Jeff, any outfit you have will catch a shark but bringing them in on light tackle at night is the tricky part.

A lot of the tome you are clunking large pieces of bunker or the whole thing.  I think last year I was using either 10/0 or 12/0's.  The weight of your line is about right just set your drag accordingly.

As there is not much to snag out there the only 3 things to worry about is the shark will rub the line into the sand and Frey it, cut it with its tail thrashing, or be so big that no matter what pound line you use it either snap your line or rod.

A number of the big guns out there have super equipment something that they either built themselves or had custom built for them.  If you are out on IBSP and you see a guy with 15' poles in a maroon pickup with a cap and antennas all over the place walk up to him and tell him Paul N2HYG said to say hi.  He is a friend that is shark crazy and hunts for them during the summer.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 04:54:55 PM »
without a surf rocket, Ped, you may have to kayak our bait past the breakers.. lol
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 04:57:40 PM »
without a surf rocket, Ped, you may have to kayak our bait past the breakers.. lol

Or do a Crazy Alberto cast ;D!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 05:30:26 PM »
I have to agree that the Surfrocket does help but just like other predators the sharks do come in close to the beach.  I am going to try and use chum from the shore this year and see what happens.  Should be interesting.

Crazy Alberto's casting ability is something else.  To look at him cast, with what seems like little effort on his part, and to see the sinker going that distance is amazing.

At the show a few weeks ago he spooled a conventional reel with 5oz of lead.  Not Bad.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 06:06:25 PM »
t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-