Author Topic: Oh the pain ...  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Capt. Ed

Oh the pain ...
« on: June 09, 2007, 01:15:00 AM »
Hi All,

Instead of sleeping, the weather in good old Toms River is just down right hideous. No rain but ... fog and it is beyond humid.

This has prompted me to do a few things:

1. Prepare the smaller boat in case the bay/rivers become the place to fish. Fog is nothing to screw with - safety first.

2. Some of the terminal tackle may have to be downsized (i.e. weights; bucktails; leaders; etc.).

So, I have the following setups coming:

1. 6'0" Ugly Stik with a Shimano Baitrunner 3500 rigged with a bucktail (size to be determined).

2. 6'0" Ugly Stik with a Shimano Baitrunner 3500 rigged with an Ava jig (size to be determined).

3. Daiwa Heartland Muskie rod (6'6") with a Shimano Tekota 500 rigged as in the picture below.

4. Copy of #3 for backup.

5. My tournament rod that won me some big money (lucky combo) - 6'9" St. Croix Muskie rod with a Penn 209 rigged as in the picture below.

Line:

1. Power Pro 50 lb.
2. Leaders (assorted lengths 6", 12' and 36" all Seguar Fluorocarbon (20, 30 and 40 lb. test).

Baits:

1. Assorted Gulp products - why not?
2. Mackeral
3. Squid
4. Minnows (Killies)
5. Clams
6. Spearing
7. Smelts

What the heck is up with the terminal tackle. I need to be able to change things quick. So, I can go from a traditional fishfinder to a business end hook with a teaser to bucktails to just about anything with retying knots. Usually, I would have a single barrel swivel but the 3 way swivel gives you all kinds of different possibilites.

So, not only is it rumored that over 350 boats are signed upo for the Manasquan port alone, but now the fog is going to play a role. It is suppose to clear out but without wind, the sun will have to "burn" it off.

I just wante people to see what goes into these tournaments to make sure the folks on board have a shot at catching.

Have fun,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 01:17:51 AM by Capt. Ed »

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
Re: Oh the pain ...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 01:21:35 AM »
good luck cat ed! hope you take 1st t^
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 01:27:39 AM »
Hi Hareball,

The funny thing is that I don't even fish when we get out there. Maybe this year ...

The chartered crew will have to do the damage.

Thanks,

Ed

PS: Now I just need a hat from this site if we do catch a trophy. I knew I should have ordered some (LOL).

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 01:29:35 AM »
yes! I ordered mine last night and will always be ready for those kodak moments TT^

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »
Hi Hareball,

If you have any pictures you want in our Photo Gallery, just send them to Rod or me and we will post them.

Ed

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 01:36:09 AM »
will do capt.  t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 05:50:21 AM »
Capt Ed,
It sounds like you are all set up for the tourney.  I'm am soooooooo glad you are not registerd in my port.   :) t^

Good luck to all!
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
Good Luck to all.  Be careful out there guys!!!

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 07:39:59 PM »
Hi All,

I am pretty dure my buddy Jimmy from Pell's won our port. He had a 6 lb. and just over 7 1/2. I think he won by a few ozs. Very close ...

Pell's is one of our sponsors and are great people and fisherman.

I will post more when I know for certain. I left the weigh0in before all fish were weighed - a ton of fish to clean.

For those that fished shallow, especially off of Spring Lake and Elberon like in the articles here yesterday, scored very well. I had a caravan of boats follow me from my marina and they all did well.

The final tally for us was 379 fluke of which 40 were keeper size. We also had 10 sea robins; no dogfish of any kind; and 4 skates. This is the tally being sent in. We even caught a short fluke that was brown on both sides. Very cool ...

Just about everything worked today including trolling across the drift (I can't explain it but I constantly repositioned the bow and moved forward and we puld hook up like clockwork - sometimes weird things work). The only thing that did not work was offshore. It is dead out there. We used 8 ozs. all day inshore and 14 offshore.

Folks could have saved a lot of time, fuel and put a lot of nice fish in the box if they were reading.

Congrats Jim!

Capt. Ed

Offline robsrodnreel

• Robs Rod n Reel
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 08:51:29 AM »
thats a damn nice fluke!! hopefully im that lucky on thursday. 

capt. ed,

how do you like the tekota? i just had one ordered...

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 10:49:31 AM »
Hi,

The Tekota 500 is my favorite reel for fishing water 30-100 ft. It is a workhorse; great drags; holds up to the salt; and work GREAT with braid. Do not let folks bad mouth level winds. They are user friendly and they work!

I own 6 and have 2 more on order. They are replacing the last of my Penn 209s I used for charters.

I still do use Penn 975 for inshore trolling. No particular reason why ...

Great choice!

Capt. Ed

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-