Author Topic: Lake Ontario Salmon Report 8-15/8-16....  (Read 7457 times)

Offline Duffman

Lake Ontario Salmon Report 8-15/8-16....
« on: August 18, 2009, 08:13:52 PM »
Headed up Friday for our annual salmon troll weekend with Ray-Rod, MG, myself and Scott. The weather, fish and company did not dissappoint, we had an incredible time all around! We entered the Fairhaven salmon derby for Saturday to see what we could do as a "team"
Got our start Sat by 5 AM heading NE out of Oswego, putting lines in when we hit 220 FOW marking loads of bait and fish before sunrise. Ran 3 riggers, 3 coppers, and 2 dipseys all pulling Atomik flies behind various colored flashers. Slow start gave way to a decent 3 hour bite. We managed 15 knockdowns with 11 landed and 4 that came unbuttoned almost immediately after the strike. At 10:30 we came tight on a fish off the planer that Ray-Rod fought for a few minutes. W/O a doubt our best fish of the day that came loose after straightening 2 of three bends on an owner treble hook! By 11 AM, it was like a switch was turned off! Not another hit until we called it quits by 1:30.
Back at the dock we assess what we had in the box and decide to weigh in for the tourney. Tourney was total weight of 6 fish and we had some bruisers, so decided to go. We weighed in at 24.5, 22.8, 20.5, 20.3, 18.2, and 16.7. Ended up 2nd overall of 60 boats and took 2nd place for $700.
Ran out again Sunday by 5 AM for a short troll. Again setup in 220 FOW and loads of bait readings. We got our biggest of the weekend at 27.98 just missing the 28 lb mark! Added another 23 lber to the box, threw back 1 skippy @ 19" and missed 2 more. Called it quits by 9AM, BBQ some brats and hit the road.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
Re: Lake Ontario Salmon Report 8-15/8-16....
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:07:06 PM »
Nice report and catch.Will be up there soon. t^

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 09:42:27 PM »
Nice job!!  2nd place is great.
Did you get to fight any of the fish on the copper?

You had some nice hot weather

Two cold fronts are coming thru this week, One Wednesday and one on Friday. That should bring the fish in even closer. Looks like 4 footers on the lake and that and the wind should bring the temps down.
I will be up the next three weekends and the fishing should just keep getting better. From what I hear some big fish are showing up. Word is the LOC derby could pay the big money on a high 30’s fish.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:22:16 PM »
Nice report and catch.Will be up there soon. t^

whs ;D

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:44:48 PM »
Nice catch and report. Congrats on the second place fishing.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 11:04:19 PM »
Awesome!  Congratulations on the 2nd place finish! t^

Offline Ranger79

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 11:26:47 PM »
nice job Congrats  chrz

Offline Duffman

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 07:12:45 AM »
Nice job!!  2nd place is great.
Did you get to fight any of the fish on the copper?

You had some nice hot weather

Two cold fronts are coming thru this week, One Wednesday and one on Friday. That should bring the fish in even closer. Looks like 4 footers on the lake and that and the wind should bring the temps down.
I will be up the next three weekends and the fishing should just keep getting better. From what I hear some big fish are showing up. Word is the LOC derby could pay the big money on a high 30’s fish.

We lost out on first place by 4.2lbs. It was combined weight of 6 fish. The winning team had a fish close to 30 that put them ahead of us.
   Your right, the next few weeks should be real good. Where you fishing out of? Word up there was Sodus lost all there fish, they havent had a good bite in almost 2 weeks. Oswego however had schools building off the powerplant.
  Green was the HOT ticket all weekend.  You run flies, spoons, cut bait or a combo?

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 07:57:38 AM »
We will be fishing Mexico Bay. From the power plant and work east and north. I put the boat in at the Salmon River, just because it’s about 3 miles from the campground. I run flasher and flies and throw a spoon on a free slider. I will run two down rigger rods, two wire dipseys and a copper if the boat traffic is not too bad. 400 feet of copper out with a lot of boats is a pain, but worth it. I heard bait is working pretty good now, but I like the flasher thing. Green, white is always good and if Coho’s are around, then I will throw on orange.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »
Great catches and congrats!  Sounds like a good time fishing.

TT^

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 09:14:22 PM »
 slt slt slt
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-