Author Topic: Cast Net For Peanuts?  (Read 4229 times)

Offline nickfishbait

Cast Net For Peanuts?
« on: June 12, 2007, 11:46:52 PM »
What size cast net would I use for catching peanut bunker?

Thanks!

Nick

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Cast Net For Peanuts?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 11:49:21 PM »
I would use the smalles diamater holes you can find in a 10' net.  The peanuts will get there head stuck in most of the nets and you will have alot of casualties.  Don't use too small of a net because the peanuts are faster then the adults and will excape quicker if the net is too small.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 08:18:35 AM »
Nickfish,
 I usualy throw my 8' or 10' 3/8 mesh for the  peanuts when they are in.........You will not find them yet.
 If you are throwing for spearing go with 1/4" or you will miss most of them, you can get away with a 6' 1/4" mesh here. 

I found them on sat. morning w/ fluke dude ,they were just about an inch long ,we got a bunch in the net

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:09:38 AM »
What you using the peanut for? If you havent noticed kinda new to this saltwater. Well not new just ALOT more involved into it. Need some salt water dogs to go out with and learn I guess LOL. I bought a cast net from walmart but after reading and trying to use it that WAS a mistake they all arent built the same!
'

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 10:44:08 AM »
most likely it is not the net but the thrower ,I throw a cheap net for peanuts and it works great ,nuts are great bait for anything that lives in the water,practice w/ your net you will learn I learned in my yard in minutes

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 10:45:12 AM »
Peanuts are good for just about anything in our waters.

Fluke, bluefish, Stripers, Weakfish, Yellowfin Tuna (and small bluefins), mahi-mahi-you get the picture.

Traditionally, it is fairly early for peanuts now as they are usually REALLY thik in August.

if catfish says he is catching now, I do not doubt him (wish I knew where,lol).

If you sail out of Morgan, then you aren;t too far from me in Keyport.

I was heading out for maiden voyage with wife tomrrow, but weather may not cooperate, so shooting for Saturday.
Let me get squared away next couple fo weeks and you can come with me if you like.

I KNOW I will have a some space july 5th or 6th for some company if you want to plan ahead.

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 11:17:40 AM »
the nuts I am getting are still to small to use as bait ,I got a bunch in my siene net all about 1 inch ,I get them in tidal creeks by mid july you can find them and they will be good bait size ,I usaly start selling them around then

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 08:15:55 PM »
 learned to throw it in minutes,,,,, wish i was that lucky. tried for 15-20 minutes a day for like a week and a half before i gave up,, still cant throw worth a shat!
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 09:25:49 PM »
Reel Time,
They have several videos out teaching how to throw a cast net.  I live in Hamilton, just outside of Trenton and have my boat in Shark River.  If you are near either, maybe we can meet up one day.  I can show you how I throw the net and can hook you up with the video if you are interested.
PM me and let me know.

Joe
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Flukedood

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 10:05:07 PM »
Nickfish,
 I usualy throw my 8' or 10' 3/8 mesh for the  peanuts when they are in.........You will not find them yet.
 If you are throwing for spearing go with 1/4" or you will miss most of them, you can get away with a 6' 1/4" mesh here. 

I found them on sat. morning w/ fluke dude ,they were just about an inch long ,we got a bunch in the net

yup they were tiny..
I spend 90% of my time fishing, The rest I just waste..

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 10:15:34 PM »
What seemed to have helped me more then anything (no one has shown me in person step by step yet) is the video @ calusa nets website.

The key seems to be in how you hold the sections of the net in preperation to throw.

The throw is easy, it's the prep to get to that stage which seems to be the make or break point.

1st try on lawn last week I would give myself a 7.

That's good enough on 1st try put to get some bunker in the net.

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »
Reviving an old thread here.
For mullet and peanuts, is a 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2 inch mesh good?  And will any of those work fine?
I'm looking to grab a 4 or 5 foot cast net for mullet and peanuts around the docks, maybe in the surf. 

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 07:59:52 PM »
I use 3/8 for mullet peanut bunker when they are around. 1/4 will work but not sink as fast as the 3/8 (with same diameter net and lead weight per foot). I'm not sure but I would think that with the 1/2 you might get a lot of gilled fish and you will be picking them out of the net if the mullet or peanuts were on the smaller side.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »
Thanks Joe. 
I found a good price on a 4ft 3/8in net.  Picked it a couple days ago.  Made a dozen or so throws and got the feel for it.  Found out the hard way that I'm not ready to throw cast net yet....been hurting for the last 2 days :-\

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-