Author Topic: Solar battery charger  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Solar battery charger
« on: September 12, 2009, 09:52:28 AM »
Thinking of putting a solar battery charger on the boat next year to keep the batteries up to snuff.

Because I live about two hours from the boat, it’s tuff to check on it during the week. Just would like to find it floating when I get there. After not going down to the boat for three weeks I found one battery dead and the boat full of water after a lot of rain while I was gone. I don’t know what happened to the battery, but it was dead. I am hoping it was just a bad battery since it was new in the spring.

Has anyone put on there boat and how did it work out?

Thanks

Rick
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
Re: Solar battery charger
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 11:55:39 AM »
No solar panel on my boat; but installing one will theoretically allow your bilge pump to pump longer before draining the battery-- which is probably what happened. Just make sure you install it across the battery (not the load side of the battery switch) or you will turn the charger off when you turn the batteries off.

Get friendly with someone at your marina who is local and can keep an eye on your boat when you can't make it down.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »
you might want to check the float switch on the bildge pump, if something gets in it, it will cause the pump to remain on and drain the battery.

Normal pumping of the bildge pump should not drain it.

Check connections, clean them...have battery tested it might have a damaged cell and won't hold a charge............

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 01:01:42 PM »
I think a friend of mine in Barnegat installed one. Will check with him and get back to you. t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 01:36:20 PM »
I had the float switch sticking on my CC.  I glued a penny to it  ;D

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »
i was thinking of doing the same thing..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »
you might want to check the float switch on the bildge pump, if something gets in it, it will cause the pump to remain on and drain the battery.

Normal pumping of the bildge pump should not drain it.

Check connections, clean them...have battery tested it might have a damaged cell and won't hold a charge............

Thats what I am thinking, that it should not go dead just running the pump. I replaced the float switch in May and it did not feel stuck when I touched it. When I turned on the other battery, it pumped the boat out and turned off. I could not get the battery to take any charge. They took it back under warranty, so we will see what happens.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »
I bought a Solar Panel Charger at Harbor Freight. 45.00  I use it to charge my Trolling motor Battery.. Seems to work pretty good  for that application.  This way I can leave the deep cycle in the boat.  I use an OHM meter to check voltage on the panel once in awhile to make sure it's working.  I never have had the need so far to charge my Main Batteries,  Other than in the winter. Keep in mind this is fresh water application.
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »
I have no experience with solar chargers but I have heard that a too big of one could overcharge a battery.
On bilge pumps and switches,I've replaced more than I can count. If we have consistent rain for days and your pump is constantly running,it can run your battery down. This is why we say buy the biggest and best batteries you can afford. Naturally a 360gph pump will not draw as much as a 1000,1200 or 1500gph pump will.
On swiches, in my opinion and experience, Surebail makes one of the best float switches. Matt. 

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 05:53:24 AM »
 t^

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 07:48:07 AM »
over time any load will drain the battery regardless of how small

for example, with a 75 aH battery like the optima blue top size 31, and a constant 500ma (1/2 Amp) drain, the fully charged battery will be dead dead in 150 hrs- thats less than a week.

even less time if draw is larger or battery not full charged or smaller battery

I know first hand

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-