Author Topic: LUNA SEA's First problem.  (Read 7344 times)

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
LUNA SEA's First problem.
« on: June 17, 2007, 06:59:55 PM »
headed out yesterday, could have been a good day.  As the fluke started biting, we had to cut the day short.  For whatever reason, my bilge pump didn't work.  As we were fishing, every once in a while a wave will come over the transom and work its way into the bilge.  A few hours later, water was coming up through my floor holes, including my center counsol cabin.  Had to make a very uncomfortable ride back to the slip with an extra few thousand pounds of weight.  Thank god for the twin engines.  Needless to say, had to drive an hour home to pick up the trailer, then back to the slip to get the boat.  Now it is sitting in my driveway and I have to call Coty Marine tomorrow and see if then can SQUEEZE me in this week, not to lose alot of water time. 

Does anyone out there know how to replace a pump and would like a few extra bucks.  I'm just looking to save time at this point...
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
Re: LUNA SEA's First problem.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 07:16:57 PM »
Luna Sea

It's not a real big thing. I wish I had the time to give a hand. First thing I would test is weather your getting power to the pump. Fuse might have blown, ground maybe off. I'm guessing you have a float switch attached, it might be that also.

I would replace both at once if you don't have a power problem.......the wiring scematic is easy.

But the first thing I would do is get out the test light

Good Luck t^

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 07:19:21 PM »
pumps are easy ,check fuzes first ,just diconect the old one and put a new one in the same way ,it is only a couple wires ,try it before you pay a dealer

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 07:46:08 PM »
 sorry to hear about the troubles luna sea,, keep us updated with whatever you find out.

hope you have alot better luck than me with coty. got the run around for a week and a half for a problem that turned out to be a clogged fuel injector. i actually started to tell them what i thought about there customer service skills one day, and the b&^ch hung up on me. to us they have been a friggin nightmare, and i absolutly will dread the day i have to go back there. matter of fact, i'm gonna call seaswirl tomorrow and complain.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 08:41:02 PM »
sorry to hear about the troubles luna sea,, keep us updated with whatever you find out.

hope you have alot better luck than me with coty. got the run around for a week and a half for a problem that turned out to be a clogged fuel injector. i actually started to tell them what i thought about there customer service skills one day, and the b&^ch hung up on me. to us they have been a friggin nightmare, and i absolutly will dread the day i have to go back there. matter of fact, i'm gonna call seaswirl tomorrow and complain.
  I had problems with them in the past, I hate to have to go to them, but that do service my boat yearly..

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 08:49:30 PM »
TRy

S&S Marine at the Sandy Hook Bay Marina in Highlands, great guys and the have good service and no rip offs....

Offline sealife

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 08:51:03 PM »
Once I had a bilge pump take a dump and it had some mono that had worked its way into the bilge and got wrapped into the impellor.  Wire tested good and the fuze had not blown but the motor barely turned.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 08:52:47 PM »
Luna, if your boat is on a trailer and you want a recommendation on a decent shop with decent people, let me suggest giving Main One Marina a call. Ask for Terry.  They are good people to work with.  Tell them Joe from the Irish Ayes recommended them.  They do all my service.  They are located between the railroad and Rt 71 bridge in Avon, which is pretty much at the end of I-195.  About a twenty minute drive from Jackson.
http://sharkrivernj.com/frames_page.htm
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 09:09:55 PM »
 luna sea, i dont know about your ride, but we got 2 pumps on the w/a, and i would belive that you do to, and if not you really should.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 09:18:30 PM »
That was a good idea about the spare pump, while I have two hooked up in da boat, keep a spare with battery clips on the wires just in case t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 09:24:28 PM »
That was a good idea about the spare pump, while I have two hooked up in da boat, keep a spare with battery clips on the wires just in case t^
  It wouldn't have been too much of a problem with rain, and the boat bails itself great. This caught me off guard.  I was going to take it out next weekend anyway to fill the gas tank and power washer the bottom.  I might as well get it all done now.   just hope there isn't a long wait with the marina, it is a busy time of year.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 10:34:01 AM »
If you can reach the pumps, they should be no problem to change at all (have watched my father change out various pumps over the years).
Hell, I could probably change one out myself if I was able to get to it and I am VERY unmechanically inclined.

BTW, as far as filling the gas tanks?

What for? Unless you running way out, save yourself the expense of carrying a full load of fuel which will only cause you to burn more fuel and cost more over the long haul.

I will only carry a max of 3/4 tank now unless I know I am going far from home.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 10:45:44 AM »
Hi All,

Mboy - I disagree with your gas strategy.

First of all, you never know what may happen out there. It is always safer to have more gas than worry about the weight of the gas.

Second, with open fuel systems that boats have, air in the tank is a bad thing. It promotes water buildup through humidity, thermal effects of the tank and water that can get into the tank through a loss hose. A full tank is nuch happier than an empty tank, even with E-zorb or Startron in the tank. BTW, E-zorb is a much better product that I switched to at the end of last year.

Third, my boat runs better with full tanks. I have distributed the weight for a certain number of anglers, gear, water, livewells and fuel. There is a difference, not just in top end speed and fuel burn, as the weight changes. With the strong afternoon winds and tricky inlet conditions, I want to know how the boat will handle. This is not a trim tab issue either.

Also, if the boat is on the trailer, saving an average of 75 cents a gallon at a land based gas station versus a marina is significant. I have a 120 gallon tank in my CC and that is nice money to have in my pocket.

So, for safety, piece of mind and preventitive measures, I can never have enough fuel.

Nick - changing the pumps are two wires ... if they are made by "Rule", you can actually remove the motor to see if it has anything caught in it. It snaps out. If it is bad (try connecting it to your car battery), you can simply put the new motor in without having to screw anything into your hull.

Check the fuses ... I have my fuses for the bilge pumps fixed to the hull in an area above the pumps. This should be a $40 and 1/2 hr. job at the most. If they are mounted in an area you cannot get to, change the location now. You have to be able to service them. I always have a manual pump and an extra bilge pump on board in case of an incident like you went through.

This should not be hard or expensive. I will be coming back to the US on Wednesday. If you don't have them fixed by then, I can help out Wednesday evening. Give me a call at 732-859-1212 after 2:00PM if you need help.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:51:19 AM by Capt. Ed »

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 10:48:46 AM »
Thanks Ed, hadn't looked at it that way.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
Hi Mboy,

Just observations and a few times too many of cutting the fuel too close and coming in on vapors.

BTW, that is bad as well. The junk in the tank tends to accumulate on the bottom. No need to be sucking out any particles that may not be caught by your filters.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline fishraiser

• "Ya Can't Take It With Ya"
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 10:59:38 AM »
Hey Luna sorry to hear of your troubles,but that happened to me on my old Grady & as long as your engines are pushing you forward you can pull the plug in the bilge and the water will get sucked out. I was scared to do it but I was ankle deep in my cockpit and in Ambrose Channel @ the time,by the time I was 1/2 way back across the bay the water was below deck,but if you stop you'll have to re-install plug :P(just an FYI)Good Luck on getting back in Quickly But the spare pump with Batt. clips is a much better Idea t^

Capt. Joe

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 11:08:27 AM »
If you can reach the pumps, they should be no problem to change at all (have watched my father change out various pumps over the years).
Hell, I could probably change one out myself if I was able to get to it and I am VERY unmechanically inclined.

BTW, as far as filling the gas tanks?

What for? Unless you running way out, save yourself the expense of carrying a full load of fuel which will only cause you to burn more fuel and cost more over the long haul.

I will only carry a max of 3/4 tank now unless I know I am going far from home.

I disagree with you with the gas and extra weight, and it is also a pain to have to put it out each time to put gas in it.  A full tank keeps me good for about a month. For whatever reason, but boat runs at about the same speed with fuel, or without.  Not much of a difference, don't know why though, maybe its because i have 2 engines.  There is no way I can reach into the bilge, and there is also no way to unplug the boat while moving.  The plug is a net screwed to the outside of the transom.  I am bringing the boat today to Coty, hopefully they will get it done this week.  If not, then Ed, I will take  you up on your help offer...   Thanks for all the input. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 11:14:17 AM by Luna Sea 3 »

Team Luna Sea 6

Ruger314

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 11:26:17 AM »
you can switch this out yourself.. I was at the marina yesterday.. wish I would have known.. We could have down it right there.. Call PJ at Port Monmouth marina or just do its the simple way.. Buy a new bigle from west marina,, new fuses..etc.. going to be cheaper then the labor alone at a shop!!!!
call me if you need help!!!

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
Good Luck Luna let us know!  All this talk has me thinking if mine is hardwired to the battery now. I know it works off the switch ( I can hear it run). Never heard it kick on  than again never had water in there ( I think) Hmmmmmm might call for a test at the dock!
'

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 02:41:55 PM »
Good Luck Luna let us know!  All this talk has me thinking if mine is hardwired to the battery now. I know it works off the switch ( I can hear it run). Never heard it kick on  than again never had water in there ( I think) Hmmmmmm might call for a test at the dock!
better safe then sorry

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-