Author Topic: Looking for a GPS, need advice  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Looking for a GPS, need advice
« on: November 08, 2009, 08:09:13 AM »
I am thinking of getting a new GPS for the boat. I have a Raymarine unit on the boat. What I like about it is that it has a dual beam. What I don’t like about it is that the speed of the boat comes from a wheel on the transducer and after a week in the water it gets jammed up with crud. Also I can’t zoom in enough on the plotter when I want to. So I was thinking of getting a new plotter and keeping the Raymarine unit for depth. Anyone know of a decent plotter only unit that does not use c-map and has a good close zoom?
I have a Humming Bird unit on my other boat and I like it, but I can’t seem to find a plotter only unit.

Thanks for the help
Rick
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Looking for a GPS, need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:31:05 AM »
I have a Lowrance,Dedicated GPS chartplotter.  It's 3 years old but I think they still Make  GPS Chartplotter only units. You can try
TurtleMarine.com There are a bunch on that site.  If in stock  usually You will have it the next day
1 800 785 5317.  GOOD LUCK
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 09:00:56 AM »
I am thinking of getting a new GPS for the boat. I have a Raymarine unit on the boat. What I like about it is that it has a dual beam. What I don’t like about it is that the speed of the boat comes from a wheel on the transducer and after a week in the water it gets jammed up with crud. Also I can’t zoom in enough on the plotter when I want to. So I was thinking of getting a new plotter and keeping the Raymarine unit for depth. Anyone know of a decent plotter only unit that does not use c-map and has a good close zoom?
I have a Humming Bird unit on my other boat and I like it, but I can’t seem to find a plotter only unit.

Thanks for the help
Rick

check you mail in reference to this.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »
 t^

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 11:14:32 PM »
Maybe a cheaper Garmin unit or an older Lowrance unit might come as a plotter only. I have a Lowrance 7200c which is only a plotter. Garmin uses their own map cards and Lowrance use Navionics cards.

Does you Raymarine unit show 2 displays of speed? I know you said about speed from the ducer but you should have speed display  from plotter end from the use of the satelites.

Give Matt from Task Marine a call he could maybe find you a unit. I know his prices will be great. Look under sponsors list.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:19:04 PM by Stray Cat »
Mark

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 06:32:21 AM »
I checked out the unit and it only gets speed from the ducer. I think I am going to use the Humming Bird as a plotter. Just have to buy another bracket and antenna, then I can use it on both boats.

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 06:55:38 AM »
i am a huge fan of all the Gamin models.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 06:56:09 AM »
i am a fan of all the garmin models.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 09:25:21 AM »
Rick pretty tough to go wrong with any of the big name companies. As with most eletronics these days from TV's to computers it's better to buy the best you can afford. What you buy today will be outdated tomorrow.....Just my 2cents slt
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »
Northstar 6100 i

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 12:41:03 PM »
Rick,
Getting info from users of their units is the best knowledge. That is 1st hand knowledge.
Once you narrow down what yout interested in, give us a call.
We deal with several local vendor's that carry most all brands of electronics and can have what you want within a day usually at the lowest price.
We are a Sponsor on here and would appreciate the opportunity to help you out.
Thanks.
Matt.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 02:47:14 PM »
I checked out the unit and it only gets speed from the ducer. I think I am going to use the Humming Bird as a plotter. Just have to buy another bracket and antenna, then I can use it on both boats.

Might be better to buy another unit, Once you figure the price of the antenna and bracket on most models your almost close to 75% of the cost of a whole unit.

Wow, about the speed reading, I thought all chartplotters show the  speed of the vessel from getting signals from the salelites, I would have thought the speed sensor on the ducer would just be a option or backup. I never owned a combo plotter/finder unit so I don't know  how they work.   My plotter is a plotter/radar unit but I don't use the radar on it, I have a separate radar. It seems everything is becoming combo's units these days and its getting harder to find single units , combo's are  a nice feature for someone who has limited space but I still like the use of separate units.
Mark

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 10:30:30 AM »
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthewater

Actually just looked for one of these bad boys for a friend of mine. He wants to get into salt water fishing, as he is more of a freshwater fisherman.

From my research, Garmin will be a bit pricey, but is well, well worth it in the long run. Maybe if I can get my dad in this thread, he can tell you what he uses. His setup is very nice!

slt

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-