Author Topic: Bigger catch for black sea bass recommended  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Bigger catch for black sea bass recommended
« on: January 12, 2010, 12:59:46 PM »
By KIRK MOORE • STAFF WRITER • January 11, 2010

In the midst of a six-month shutdown of the black sea bass recreational fishery, science advisors to the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council have concluded that they underestimated the size of the black sea bass population, and now say 2010 catch limits can safely be increased by about 50 percent,

"It's not final, but it's a big hurdle," said Chris Zeman, a New Jersey representative on the council. "I was very happy. I remember looking at those (earlier) numbers back in October and thinking, 'This can't be right.' "

Black sea bass is the latest issue to divide government managers and the recreational angling community which is banned through March from fishing for the species in federal waters outside three miles. Several New Jersey and New York party boat operators could face civil fines over trips in November when customers kept the bass they caught.

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration officials imposed the emergency ban in October, based on survey results that indicated the recreational sector would overshoot its share of the catch in 2009. Meanwhile, the Mid-Atlantic council lowered catch limits for 2010 at the recommendation of its science and statistical committee, despite a reassessment of black sea bass that showed the stock was not overfished as previously thought.

Last Friday that group and the council's monitoring committee met jointly to review the quota recommendation.

"They determined that when they had previously met on this issue in July, they did not fully understand that the 2009 quota was already highly precautionary, and reflected the results of a no-longer-valid stock assessment methodology that had previously indicated sea bass stocks were in precipitous decline," wrote Adam Nowalsky, a charter captain who tracks black sea bass issues for the Recreational Fishing Alliance member, in an e-mail summary.

The Friday "meeting with the monitoring committee helped them understand that," Nowalsky said. The science panel then decided "that the 2008 landings were the best baseline to use for setting the quota for 2010, because landings at that level have not caused a decline in the stock and the stock is now considered rebuilt, and no overfishing is occurring."

The new recommendation calls for a 2010 allowable biological catch of 4.5 million pounds, the same as 2008, Nowalsky said. After routine adjustments that will probably work out to around 3.25 million pounds, although the council staff must develop that number, Zeman said.

To implement a higher catch, Zeman said the council will ask Patricia Kurkul, NOAA's northeast regional fisheries director, to issue another emergency order — this time, to allow anglers to catch more black sea bass.

APP Article

So now they are seeing what we have known all along... nosmly

TT^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Bigger catch for black sea bass recommended
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 01:19:16 PM »
 clp

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »
This is the kind of action that takes place when enough people are heard from. I would bet that all the letters, emails, etcetera that they received opened a lot of eyes.

We need to continue the pressure and assure that we have our legal right to fish for non-periled species.

My questions is, why did it take so long for these people to see the light. Lack of responsibility to do a proper job is what I'm thinking. Or lack of ability. nosmly
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »
now that this is known,how long before the ban is lifted? 5hrug
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 02:23:01 PM »

My questions is, why did it take so long for these people to see the light. Lack of responsibility to do a proper job is what I'm thinking. Or lack of ability. nosmly
More like the time for someone to come up with enough money to pay someone off ;)
Just my 2 cents
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
Good to see the press finally carrying this.

For those that are interested, you can READ THIS THREAD about the meeting last week and what it means for us.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 04:47:19 PM »
 t^

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »
 TT^ TT^ TT^ clp clp
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-