Author Topic: Cruising to the Caribbean  (Read 13177 times)

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
Cruising to the Caribbean
« on: January 27, 2010, 11:03:58 AM »
So, my Niece and Nephew talked me into going on a cruise with them, my 2 Bro's and few other family members.. The boat leaves on Sun. from Ft. Lauderdale, and makes  stops at Belize, Costa Maya , and Cozumel.. As I have little interest in shopping or gawking at ruins, I have booked a river fishing trip in Belize, and a trolling/ bottom fishing charter in Cozumel.  TT^  I also built some 3pc travel rods (7'  8-17#)  for all the guys going to throw in their luggage, in the event some spontanious fishing ops arise  ;)  Here is "the Caribbean Collection" ...I was goin for tropical colors :)

This being my 1st time in this part of the world, I not 100 % sure what to expect, , but I put together a little tackle attack pack, with some bucktails, soft swimbaits, some plastic & gulp shrimps and crabs, a few small metals, and plugs, and an assortment of hooks/terminals, and leader.. Any suggestions on further tackle selections/ must-haves, or tips on fishing these areas from the freindly faithful   will be greatly appreciated!   TT^  chrz

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Cruising to the Caribbean
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:06:41 AM »
Can't help you with any tips as I have never been in them areas. But I am able to wish you luck and have a great time on your trip. Enjoy.  chrz
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 11:15:41 AM »
Sounds like a great trip ahead of you!  The rods look GREAT!  I can't help you with any fishing info, though...I have never been to any of the areas you are going to fish.  I have seen pictures of Belize...amazing and I know they have good excellent fishing.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation.  Look forward to your post vacation report.

TT^

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 11:18:20 AM »
Nice looking rods! Have a great time!

What will you be fishing for in the river?

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 11:26:49 AM »
Good luck Mark. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 12:04:27 PM »
Nice Work!!.  I put a shout out to Capt Jay. He's been running Fishing ans Sailing charters in the Caribbean for a couple years now t^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 01:50:13 PM »
Those rods are sweet Mark! t^  Good luck on the trip!  Have fun! ;D

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 03:19:52 PM »
Mark,great looking rods,Have a great time on the cruise and with the fishing you booked,also will be looking for all the details when you get back.enjoy yourself. t^ chrz     Kez
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 03:25:27 PM »
enjoy your trip..  chrz
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 03:46:36 PM »
Have a great time Mark.

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 04:56:27 PM »
Tarpon and bonefish in Belize for sure. Nice job on the rods. Awesome  t^

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 05:09:21 PM »
Enjoy your trip Mark!!
The rods are REELY cool.

Maybe you could troll off the Stern of that BIG BOAT.The Captain will see you have experience.

Look forward to some pics.and your report. t^

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 05:13:58 PM »
Been in Cozumel, I'll have to ask the wife if I had a good time I was too smashed to remember.
I know I was riding horseback on the beach at one point, the rest is a blur.  Enjoy your cruise   slt
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 07:24:27 PM »
Have a good time Mark.  slt

I think you might need a heavy rod for trolling off the ship.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »
Nice looking rods! Have a great time!

What will you be fishing for in the river?

The main targets are Snook and Cubera in the river.. While Belize is reported to be awesome for Tarpon, Permit & Bonefish, the better flats are too far from the cruise docks to allow for a decent shot in our limited time.. 

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes everyone!   slt

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 08:07:28 AM »
How did you find a guide? Did the cruise company hook you up?

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 09:26:53 AM »
Enjoy yourself chrz  

Take lots of pictures   t^

I'm sure we'd all love to see um  clp

OK not all of them just the fishing and drinking  clp
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:28:45 AM by WATSNEXT »
Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 03:55:55 PM »
Have a great trip Mark, wish I was going with ya.  We have been to Cozumel and have dove off of there a few years back.  Loaded with fish as you would expect, the Caribbean trench runs by the island so watch that first step its about 2,000 ft deep...lol
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 05:45:43 PM »
Thanks again for the well wishes everyone..they worked ! we did have a really great time  TT^  The Royal Caribbean ship Independence of the Seas was huge and  just awesome.. the food was fantastic and endless cfzd TT^  The small taste of the fishing we got in Belize was fantastic, and left me wanting much more.. The outfit I booked  after doing some web research, "Action Belize" sent the local bossman, George to pick  up my nephew Bryan, my bro Rob, and I,  at the Tourist Village at the mouth of the Belize River, where the Tender dropped us off. He arrived via the river in our boat for the day, a locally made 25' CC with a late model Yami 115 4 stroke.. t^    We motored up the river about a mile through Belize City,  to their office where we settled our fares, and met our very friendly and savvy local guide, Claude.  From there we continued further up the river into  a beautiful Mangrove jungle,  seeing countless types shore birds lift up in front of us.. Just the 30 min. ride up the river, thru a long, mangrove lined canal the into the yet another river,   was worth the price of admission

We started off jigging chartreuse 4" shads on about 3/8 oz heads, as Claude kept the boat drifting down the middle of the narrow river..After about 20 minute when the tide started to move in,  Rob landed the first Snook of the day as he was reeling it close a much larger fish followed it in.:

Shortly after, it was Bryan's turn, as he worked this big Snook to the net:

I also got into the act:

We  all continued to pick at  Snook and other critters like Lookdowns, a Stingray,  and this nice Jack that Bryan who had the hot hand all day jigged up:

Around mid day, we put down the jig rods, to enjoy at the nice lunch they packed for us consisting of lunch of smoked chicken sandwiches. chips and a tasty local beer called Belikin   TT^  As we ate, Claude put out a couple of fire tiger Bomber crankbaits on light spin rods, and began trolling slowly along the Mangroves, as we sat back and watched show provided by the birds and occasional Manatee. Within a few minutes of tolling , one one the reels started screaming, and Bry was fast into his 2nd whopper Snook of the day!

We continued to troll with pretty steady action on Snook, with  all of us landing a couple more.. At one point, something huge hit the Bomber, and Rob fought it hard for about 15 minutes as Claude skillfully maneuvered the boat to keep it out of the mangroves.. We had it straight under the boat in 15'of water,  and Rob could not budge it.. I saw the telltale "pop" of the tip as the first set of trebels came free, and a few seconds later the rear set pulled loose as the fish gave a shake and straightened the hooks..  thud  rgmn  Claude figures it was a Goliath Grouper, of 100+ lbs.. That fish will likely get Rob back to Belize some day. At this point I'm figuring the day can't get much better, when its my turn on the rod, and I get a big bite.. The fish is much different than any of the snook, making long, powerful runs, thankfully mostly in the middle of the channel..  I had my hands  full for several minutes trying to gingerly coax the fish in on the light rod..trying to avoid Robs fate with the hooks on the small plug. My heart lept when I finally saw the shape come near the surface.. A fish high on my bucket list, and one I did not expect to encounter in a river.. Permit!!

Shortly after, our brief time in Belize had come to an end, and Claude took a shortcut that took us out to ocean side and about 10 miles up the beach back to the village to catch our tender to the ship.. I can't say enough about the outfit and Claude for packing so much action into a short day.. I will surely be back..

After a non-fishing day on the Beach at Costa Maya,  our next stop was Cozumel, where my older Bro Jack (the jinx) and his father in law Joe from Michigan, joined me on a charter on a older, but well maintained 35 ft sporty.. The plan was to troll for Wahoo/Sails /Tuna, etc, but despite hard work from the Capt. and mate Miguel, who put out a nice spread of fresh Bally baits, teasers, etc. We could not get a knockdown. The seas built up to 6-7 feet at one point, but Jack  who is prone to chum, thankfully managed to keep it together with nthe help of Bonine.. The gorgeous sights of the island, and the impossibly blue waters, where worth the trip, but all we managed where a couple Barracuda  caught while drifting squid  baits,  and some Lingy lookin critters they call ( appropriately for Jack )  Banana Fish:

In all , between the Ship the beaches, the time I got to spend with my Family, and the great fishing, it was the trip of a lifetime! Can't wait for the next one!  chrz

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 06:08:16 PM »
 w0w  Great pics and an awesome trip!  Some really nice snook there!  Congratulations!  clp

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-