Author Topic: Best fishing reel ever made.  (Read 22466 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: Best fishing reel ever made.
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 04:19:08 PM »
Yes they are.  I think they are around $30.  You can call Shimano at 877-577-0600 and check their availability.  Otherwise maybe one of our sponsors here can get one for you. t^

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 04:45:30 PM »
Great points made here.. I will not dispute Capt. Jerry's observation on Abu's.. I should have been more model specific to the old school , multi bearing,  round models..I agree, not all Abu's are created equal.. They have over the years tried to fill every pricepoint and niche... and changes at the corporate level resulted in increased outsourcing that has produced some real stinkers, and sketchy service at times.  ::)  I also think the Calcutta are fine reels, and have a 200, 400 that like Bucktail's , have been working fine since the 90's .. but I also agree they require a good deal more maintenance. IMO comparing a Calcutta to a Penn, is similar to comparing a Kalashnikov AK-47 to an M-16.. While the advanced materials and tight tolerances of the m-16 produce a lighter, slicker, more precise weapon, it needs to be kept clean to keep running.. while an AK's rugged steel parts and looser fit allows it be dragged thru the mud and keep spiitin lead..  As for my Avets.. They are sweet, but I've only used them for a few years, so they will need to prove themselves over time to make my list..  As a hopeless tackle Ho' trying to pick a "best" out of some of these reels is like trying to pick the hottest model in the SI swimsuit issue  hhppy  chrz

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 04:48:03 PM »
As a hopeless tackle Ho' trying to pick a "best" out of some of these reels is like trying to pick the hottest model in the SI swimsuit issue  hhppy  chrz

rofla  I'm with you there Mark! t^ rofla

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 04:55:23 PM »
hahah so true chrz

Great winter time discussion

alot depends on what your style is and what and how your fish for

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 05:04:51 PM »
My last post was a about "my best reel" and why it was good for me.after re reading the orginal post hands down the best reel IMHO is a Penn Senator.

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 06:10:09 PM »
Thanks to all who responded. It is a fun winter topic.  No one reel cover every situation, thats for sure.  I still get excited when I buy that new reel like  my Newell P220 I just picked up, but when I break out my old jig master it means Seabass, ling and cod.  I'm also a tinker and it is easy to mod your jigmaster with newell post, power handles and bushing at very little cost, different gears.........  and like Jerry said after a tuff day of wreckfishing you don't (I always do) wash the darn thing and they keep cranking.  I do like the aluminum spools

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 07:01:35 PM »
My Penns and My Abu reels.
I bought them within my budget,they have out lasted many Presidents,I fish them under different situations and there reasonably easy to rebuild/service.End of story. t^

Offline italianfisherman

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
i'm still using my penn squidder jr,(146) i use it for all my wreckfishing trips, nothing like it. i also use my newell s220 for wreck fishing,their both very good reels & strong.. t^
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:14:56 PM by italianfisherman »

Offline lost sailor

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 02:21:17 PM »
Admittedly, I am new to the salt, but on the spinning reel side, the Shimano Thunnus is the best reel I have ever used. The bait runner secondary drag turns this all aluminum reel into a great chunking/livelining rod. The drag is smooth and the reel never flexes like most spinning reels under a heavy load. I have the 12000's and the 16000's. The max drag is alittle light right from the factory (19 pound max), but upgraded drag washers (25-28 lbs.) turn these into a really versitile reel for inshore. Bottomfishing, Chunking, Livelining, casting plugs, from boat or surf-----they have been worth the money. 
Play Time is Over.

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 05:44:18 PM »
Penn Slammer frrom the American-made era.
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-