Author Topic: Reel Maintenance.... help????  (Read 3586 times)

Offline striper74

Reel Maintenance.... help????
« on: March 19, 2010, 03:09:40 PM »
O.K., here's my question....  I have a Abu Garcia Ambassaduer  5500 series that I have not done anything to maintain.  I picked it up in 1993 for largemouth fishing and fishing the Delaware river.   I started using for fluking a few seasons ago and it still works perfectly.  I also have a Shimano Torium 30 I bought about a year ago.  What kind of maintenance am I looking at and can I do it myself.  I've taken spinning reels almost completely apart and put them back together no problem.  Last year I got an old penn 750ss from my wife's grandfather that was seized and now works perfectly. I've never touched a conventional though.  Any help greatly appreciated.  ???
I am not the boss of my house.  I don't know when I lost it.  I don't know if I ever had it. But, I have seen the boss's job and I do not want it! - Bill Cosby

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: Reel Maintenance.... help????
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 03:41:04 PM »
I stripped down my Torium last year and I replaced the drag with Carbontex washers.

Here's a link to basic conventional reel maintenance from Shimano.

Here's their new YouTube site with reel maintenance videos.  http://www.youtube.com/fishwithshimano

Alan Tani is another great resource for reel maintenance, trouble shooting and repair.
Torium/Trinidad Service Tutorial

Hope that helps. Good luck! t^

Offline striper74

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 06:32:49 PM »
Thanks for all the links Bucktail.  The 1st Shimano link looks basic enough for me to handle, but that Alan Tani link with all the pictures scares the hell out of me.  Thanks again!
I am not the boss of my house.  I don't know when I lost it.  I don't know if I ever had it. But, I have seen the boss's job and I do not want it! - Bill Cosby

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 06:51:46 PM »
If you need help, let me know. t^

Offline striper74

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:21:29 PM »
Thanks for the offer, I should be okay.  It's gently used so I don't think I need to get too invasive for this season.  Unfortunately it hasn't had a lot of use.  I just want to make sure I take care of it.  I paid 2 bills for it last year (I know the price has dropped a little).  Thanks for your help! slt  I definately need to go and deconstruct my Abu Garcia. 

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 07:46:10 PM »
Two things to remember:

1.  Don't over-lubricate and be especially careful not to allow any oil to get into the drag.

2.  Use the Shimano grease and oil OR (if you plan on using different brands) make sure completely clean out all the old grease and oil first.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-