Author Topic: Flukin Rod  (Read 5615 times)

Offline njadam

Flukin Rod
« on: June 26, 2007, 10:26:04 PM »
Hello all....I am new to this site...I know there are probably answers to this question but I wanted to get my name out there...so for the question, Could anyone reccomend a fluking rod and reel, i am looking up update my arsenal of fishing rods, i would like it to be a casting rod and am looking to spend around $120-$140, also would you recommend using braid line? thank you.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Flukin Rod
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:29:12 PM »
braid line is a must.  The rod I can recomment is way more then what you want to spend, without the reel... 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:29:32 PM »
I wouldnt listen to what i have to say about the rod /reel setups, i just like shimano spinning reels with a loomis rod or an ugly stick. BUT, the pole that i use for casting spoons for blues/bass/etc, and for even fishing for fluke is i have a Flueger spinning reel with my 9 foot ugly stick. It might not even be the right setup for fluke or what not, but i have some what success with it. I enjoy fishing spinning reels the most, reeling it in with the left hand too.

Fish On
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline AviD

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 10:30:38 PM »
Adam, pretty sure I emailed you on the rods a couple days ago...did you get my email?  Never heard back from you.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 10:35:07 PM »
I use the loomis rod with a penn 440ss spinning reel.  BUT, the rod is almost $200.00 and the reel is about $90.00
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Ruger314

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:36:47 PM »
Efingers has a nice combo $80.00 okuma level wind and tsunami rod

will work for both fluke and stripers

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:38:30 PM »
Hi NJAdam,

Are you fluking from a boat or shore?

If from a boat, you need a rod with backbone. Look at companies like Shimano (Compre), St. Croix and Daiwa (Heartland). These are basically "Muskie Rods." These rods are about $100.

For a reel for $40 or so, the Penn 209 is an all time workhorse that will fit perfectly with any of those rods.

I would tend to buy a better rod now and you can always upgrade the reel and make it a backup.

I really like the Shimano 6'6" Compre. The Penn 209 is an all-time favorite. You can also go with a Penn 500 Jigmaster in that price category.

Have fun,

Capt. Ed

Offline njadam

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 10:41:22 PM »
thanks for all the quick responses i will take a look at all of them....and Avid i just joined this site about 1 hour ago so it was not me who you emailed.....but your recommendation on a rod and reel would be appreciated

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 09:10:49 AM »
 hi njadam, and wlcoome to the site. for abouts 100 bucks, will be hard, for abouts 150 will open up the doors a little more.

what i have used and like, plus cheap,,,

an abu garcia ambassadeur,, catn go wrogn with these reels. and from bass pro shops there is a 15 buck rebate.

for a pole i'm into liking the tsunami rods. got myself one thats xxheavy and it works good with a 10oz sinker. they can be found locally for about 70 bucks, give or take.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline CAPT. JOHN K.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 11:53:44 AM »
Welcome njadam....As Capt Ed has stated, I like the the Daiwa (Heartland Muskie rod). It has plenty of back bone and isn't that expensive. I have mine matched to an Abu-Garcia 6500 TCST level wind reel. This is a light set up (weight wise)and can be fished all day without winding up with arms of lead.
Hope this helps you make a decision that you will be happy with.  Good luck & tight lines.
                   Capt. John K.
PS: I use braided line on the reel.
"Fishing," as close to heaven as I'll ever get!

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 09:51:43 PM »
Hello all....I am new to this site...I know there are probably answers to this question but I wanted to get my name out there...so for the question, Could anyone reccomend a fluking rod and reel, i am looking up update my arsenal of fishing rods

Fishing the bay or ocean?

Offline njadam

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 10:52:30 PM »
Skolmann, I will be fishing both the bay and ocean, mostly the bay but i usually dont venture out into the ocean more than a mile or 2 for fluke

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 07:22:24 AM »
Give me a day or 2 & I'll post some model #s.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 12:05:25 PM »
Take a look at the Shimano Compre CP70M (or the slightly heavier 70MH). Both should be around $99.

The Seeker BA-85 is a great all around rod (fluke, blackfish, stripers) but may be a tad heavy for bay fluking. Runs between $120-$135.

Might want to check out Bogan's Bait & Tackle in Pt. Pleasant. They make some nice custom rods. I've seen some real nice fluke sticks there for under $150.

I'm sure you could find a nice St. Croix to fit the bill for @ $120ish.

If you're going to fish braid, take a look at the Lamiglas Tri-Flex series. I personally don't like this series because the foregrip is too small to my liking but I have other Lamiglas rods & love them. Think they also run around $120.

Alot of people like using "musky" rods for fluke. I do as well but only when heavier weights (say over 5 ounces) are need so again may not be the best for the shallower bay waters.

Here's a tip when you go into the store to buy your rod. Bring a few sinkers in various weights and a small length of mono. Attach the sinker to the mono via a end loop and the opposite ned of the mono to the rod tip. This will give you an idea on how the rod feels with weight on it. Good idea to bring at least 1 sinker that is the maximum amount of weight you plan on using on the rod.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 01:04:16 PM »
Now that is something I never thought about Skolmann. Bringing the sinkers.  It surely beats the bend the rod up on the ceiling test.    t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 01:36:06 PM »
Now that is something I never thought about Skolmann. Bringing the sinkers.  It surely beats the bend the rod up on the ceiling test.    t^

Yea every so often I have a good idea.... ;D

Offline njadam

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 06:18:29 PM »
thank you...i love the idea about the weight i will definetly give that a try

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 08:42:45 PM »
One last rod you might like to consider. Granted you may have a very difficult time finding it as I not sure if it is still in production. I came across this rod about 3 years ago. I initially bought 1 for my son and liked it so much that I bought another for me a few weeks later. In fact I liked it soooooooooo much that a year later I bought another one (from the same store in Jersey City-it just happened to be their last).

It's a 7' Penn GLS 700. If I'm not mistaken it's originally a Sabre blank but when Penn bought out Sabre they produced it. Matchs prefectly with a Penn 955 reel. GREAT fluking stick for dragging bait in both the bay & ocean as well as bucktailing up to 6 ounces. My also will use his as a backup jigging stick in the fall.

I haven't tried (since I already have 3 of these rods) but you might want to a detailed search on the internet. You never know, you might luck into one or 2.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-