Author Topic: Best Sharking Tip Ever  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Chuck Richardson

Best Sharking Tip Ever
« on: April 17, 2010, 06:32:19 AM »
Best Sharking Tip Ever….

Whenever I attended a seminar there was always, at the very least one great tip or bit of information that would get me thinking. It might have seemed small at the time but it would sure stick in my mind.

Years ago I used to participate in seminars given by the late Captain Billy Verbanas. For my part I would give a presentation covering wind-on leaders etc. As I’m sure most of you know Captain Billy was without a doubt one of the best shark fishermen there was and would readily share all of his experiences without hesitation, on and off the water.

During these seminars my presentation was short so I would sit in the back of the room and listen to all of what Captain Billy would be saying. One Saturday while in position in the back of the room, once again listening and taking in all the valuable information he was offering he came out with one of those tips that got me thinking. This one tip made so much sense to me I never forgot it.

At one point during the seminar Billy was talking about shark rigs and the hooks he preferred. His reasoning for his selection made a whole lot of sense. He preferred a needle eye over the ring eye hook for one reason. According to Billy’s theory, when a shark would take the bait and start to run with it, the sharks jaws were most likely closed tight and the rigged bait sitting in its mouth. Line is peeling off the reel and at some point early in the run the angler locks the reel and starts to set the hook. Now here’s where it gets interesting.

With the reel locked up and the slack out of the line the angler starts to set the hook by rearing back hard with the rod. Normally he’s going to do this several times to ensure a secure set. Know everybody settles in for a fight but not long into it the line goes slack. The shark is off the hook. What happened? Well, according to Billy when the angler was rearing back thinking he was setting the hook, all that was happening at the business end was the rather large eye of the hook was banging against the upper and lower rows of teeth as they were locked together. There was no way the hook point could penetrate any part of the mouth. All the pressure was being put on the eye of the hook not the point. Now this made perfect sense and for this reason Billy would only use needle eye hooks.

This was his explanation:

Needle eye hooks, which are made for use with wire leader, are thinner overall and have a much smaller profile and overall diameter. He felt this rig resulted in a better chance to actually have the haywire and smaller diameter needle eye hook make it through the rows of teeth when setting the hook. With a closed mouth the ring eye just didn’t have a chance.

Think about this as I have and I think you will agree this thinking is one of the main reasons he was so good at what he did. And even though I did quite a bit of shark fishing prior to attending his seminars this was one tip that has stuck with me and will never forget. It made sense to me.

Offline Last Call

Re: Best Sharking Tip Ever
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 07:16:12 AM »
Wow, that does make perfect sense.  Thanks for sharing that as I'll be giving the needle eye a shot.   chrz
LAST CALL

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies,....
Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain,....
For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston,....
And so nevermore shall we be seeing you again.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 08:10:53 AM »
Good tip
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 08:11:15 AM »
 t^ whs   wow I never thought about that, and would have to increase your chances of a hookup
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 08:12:14 AM by WATSNEXT »
Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

Offline Chuck Richardson

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 09:04:51 AM »

Here is a picture that will show the two types of hook eyes. These are both 12/0. Just keep in mind the needle eye is NOT for mono.

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 11:43:11 AM »
thanks, another great tip I would of never thought of that.  thanks for the tip.
Paul cell 908-415-9542

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 04:21:22 PM »
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing Chuck.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 11:17:55 AM »
We will have to give it a try this year.  Thanks for the tip.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-