Author Topic: Tip of Sandy Hook to Monmouth beach?  (Read 4162 times)

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
Tip of Sandy Hook to Monmouth beach?
« on: June 28, 2007, 12:29:49 PM »
How many miles?

Thanks.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Tip of Sandy Hook to Monmouth beach?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 12:49:29 PM »
How many miles?

Thanks.
  When I turn the tip of Sandy Hook, I head towards Momouth Beach to Fluke fish, it is approx. 7 miles..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 01:28:13 PM »
Hi Guys,

Lina is correct approx 7 - 10 miles check Goggle Maps for Monmouth Beach it should give you a good idea.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Monmouth+Beach,+NJ,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title

Use your mouse wheel to see a larger area and calculate the distance milage is in the bottom left corner as you scroll out the indicator changes

Hope this helps.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 04:10:06 PM »
Thank you fellas.

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 10:41:24 PM »
how many gals you got  monkey ??.... im thinking of trying to go there when i refuel  next weekend i think.. i dont make it whos towing my ass back?
'

Ruger314

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 10:47:09 PM »
it a easy run.. and sea tow will for a $$$ or 2

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 10:56:41 PM »
Yea no doubt !  i got towboat us
'

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 10:57:19 PM »
Yea no doubt !  i got towboat us
make sure you get the unlimited towing package..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 06:01:31 AM »
I hold 81 gallons and I won't tow anybody in.

If something happens, you (the tower) are liable so I let the pros handle it if somoene needs to be towed.

I have Se Tow myslef. Def worth it.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 07:38:52 AM »

If something happens, you (the tower) are liable so I let the pros handle it if somoene needs to be towed.

FYI, if you see a boat in distress I'm almost 100% you are obligated to help them or at least stay on the scene umtil proper help arrives.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 08:10:36 AM »

FYI, if you see a boat in distress I'm almost 100% you are obligated to help them or at least stay on the scene umtil proper help arrives.

That's quite a bit different then tying them up to my boat and towing them in.

I would NEVER not help or stay with a boat in distress, fish people out of the water,  etc.

That is no where near the same as towing someone in.

You are absolutely NOT obligated to tow another boat in and most experienced captains I know advise against it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 08:12:11 AM by mboy »

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 09:55:59 AM »
Hi All,

Whether there is liability or not, if you know how to do it, I help out. I had a guy on a wave runner tow me in once and I will always remember that, "Hey Mister ... need some help ... no problem. Throw me a line."

Karma is a powerful thing.

BTW, there are no laws either way about towing or not towing. Having been part of a few "Mayday" calls I will tell you that the scripts that the USCG use are not set in stone.

If I may digress ...

A guy was on a brand new 30 something Contender anchored over a wreck with his buddy. I was drifting the area. I saw the guy go down with a possible heart attack. I told his buddy to make a Mayday call on Ch 16. He had no radio. So I made it for him. The USCG asked me if I could board the boat safely. I did. I started administering first aid. He came to. The first thing he did was get up and start trying to pull the anchor, himself. I told my buddy to tell the Coast Guard. They told me to cut his anchor. I did. Guy told me to get off his boat. I did. He drove the boat in and was intercepted by the Coast Guard. He refused medical attention. They followed him to his slip where they tried to get him to sign a waiver. He told them off.

Off we all went.

Most circumstances do not have laws. There is right and wrong, compassion and a test of reasonability. There is no way that if that guy brought a lawsuit against me for the anchor that he would win a penny. It is not a reasonable outcome.

I will tow you guys anyday. BTW, I have towing insurance and have a towing cert on my license.

Capt. Ed

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 10:44:46 AM »
I have towed a number of people in (on my fathers boat over the years). The last guy was last season or season before.
prick didn't even say thank you.

I don't have towers liability insurance and won't tow anybody in period or lareg cash reserves to pay for defense in case something does happen. I have Sea Tow  for a whopping $149 for the season so I do not have to rely on others or put them out to tow me in.

As stated before, I would never leave someone in distress, would help them out in any way possible including boarding if it did not put me or my boat/crew in jeopardy.

I draw the line at towing another boat in when their are professionals who are licensed, insured and charge a VERY reasonable fee for unlimited towing.

Offline CAPT. JOHN K.

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 04:02:11 PM »
I think the missing words for assisting someone in trouble are:"life threatening." You do not have to help anyone if it endangers your vessel or crew. If that happened you have turned a simple incident into a major problem,for both of you and the next person/persons coming to your aid. Standing by and waiting for a towing service or the Coast Guard is assisting a fellow boater in distress.  Safe boating. Courtesy is contagious.   
"Fishing," as close to heaven as I'll ever get!

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »
I have towed a number of people in (on my fathers boat over the years). The last guy was last season or season before.
prick didn't even say thank you.

I don't have towers liability insurance and won't tow anybody in period or lareg cash reserves to pay for defense in case something does happen. I have Sea Tow  for a whopping $149 for the season so I do not have to rely on others or put them out to tow me in.

As stated before, I would never leave someone in distress, would help them out in any way possible including boarding if it did not put me or my boat/crew in jeopardy.

I draw the line at towing another boat in when their are professionals who are licensed, insured and charge a VERY reasonable fee for unlimited towing.

30' Contender? No money left over for a VHF?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 05:51:28 PM »
I think the missing words for assisting someone in trouble are:"life threatening." You do not have to help anyone if it endangers your vessel or crew. If that happened you have turned a simple incident into a major problem,for both of you and the next person/persons coming to your aid. Standing by and waiting for a towing service or the Coast Guard is assisting a fellow boater in distress.  Safe boating. Courtesy is contagious.   

Very true on the "like threatening" scenerio.  And you do not have to and should not put yourself or vessel in peril trying to assist.  If you are not experienced in towing a vessel, the best thing to do is don't tow.  Many things can and do go wrong with improper towing.  Also, most boats are not set up to tow.  You need properly reinforced cleats, etc.

Make the proper notifications and if necessary, stand by the vessel until the proper assistance arrives.

Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-