Author Topic: stripers in hudson up north.....  (Read 1324 times)

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
stripers in hudson up north.....
« on: May 29, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »
Have a question. My cousin said something about stripers in hudson up around newburgh / kingston ny? Where should I go and what should I use? Gullys sound familiar? Live herring?
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
Re: stripers in hudson up north.....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 09:38:46 PM »
I live up here in Cornwall. Are you fishing from shore or boat? the Shore fishing is limited. The only place I know of is Plum Point here. I only moved here recently so not too familiar with  any other locations. The bait of choise is bloodworms with sandworms coming in second. You also need  to purchase a marine permit to fish the Hudson.
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
Re: stripers in hudson up north.....
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 03:31:50 PM »
Fishon, both Newburgh and Kingston areas can be good in the spring.. Worms work, but for bigger fish, Live herring/eels are great.. Fresh herring chunks work well also, but you will be fighting off catfish and eels constantly ... bring some sabiki's and try to catch your own herring , as availabilty of fresh at bait shops is limited at best..   Gully's is a bar/resturant   on the waterfront in Newburgh..  chrz  for bait,  try Ceely's  just to the south,  off  Rt. 9W.. Kingston is about 30 miles to the north and is where I do more of my river fishing..  The Rondout Creek, which flows into the Hudson at Kingston is a good place to try to catch herring, and offers some shore access.. but if ya strike out,  Certified Marine on the south bank of the creek in Connelly sells bait.. including livies.  t^  With all that said however, .I'm afraid you may have missed it this year.. The run usually starts around mid April,  peaks most years around mid May and is usually done by the 1st week in June..this year things where a bit early, and with water temps pushing into the 70's here now, what few fish are left likely wont be sticking around much longer.. but let me know if you head up, and I'll be glad to try and point you in the right direction to  get  started chrz

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-