Author Topic: Eels Anyone?  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
Eels Anyone?
« on: June 10, 2010, 09:14:57 AM »
As I sit here waiting for the pencil necks to fix my network so I can work, I am perusing the latest reports and had a thought.. which is startling enough I guess.. I see that bunkers have been a little harder to consistently come by lately..(thanks netters!)   I was wondering if any of my NJSWF homies ever carry a backup bucket of eels to offer the Striped ones when bunkers don't show?   ??? I know up here on the Hudson, while Herring are the #1 choice, I always keep a bunch of eels penned by the boat so I have something live on hand when the herring are scarce.. And while they may prefer a herring, my experience is that they will not snub a lively eel any more than I would walk away from a plate of linguine..  ;D  The other thing I like about eels is that while herring/bunkers will drop dead if given a dirty look, you practically have to drive a wooden stake thru an eels heart to kill it..they'll live all day on a wet rag..  sooo what say ye.. any eelers out there? I know when I run down the river this week to bring the boat to its summer home in Keansburg,  my eel pen and the prisoners are coming with me..   chrz

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Eels Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:45:51 AM »
I haven't used eels in several years now and when I did it was strickly an eeling trip. It does sound like a good plan 'B'.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 06:34:19 PM »
I know they are expensive lil bassturds.
Go away blue fish!!
 rofla rofla

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 07:18:42 PM »
I've used eels successfully in Barnegat Bay, Raritan Bay and the Cape May rips.

I can't recall ever using them from a boat in the open ocean.  But, I'm sure, under the right conditions, you could do some serious damage with them out there. t^

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 08:22:12 PM »
I had alot of success last year live lining eels in the fall.  Never really considered them in the spring/summer though.  Would be interesting to see if they work or if the yellow eyed demons just tear them up. 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Duffman

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 08:46:41 AM »
Love using them at night in the fall.  False Hook, Swash and between the channels.

Never tried them in the spring since the bass are crushing bunker, but your right, I cant see a bass passing up a live eel regardless of time of year.

It does get to be a PIA when the demons turn a nice eel into a cigar!

I want to try them in the canyons this year. Interested to see if a yellowfin would slam a live eel at night?????

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-