Author Topic: The Squan and being sswamped by big boats  (Read 8495 times)

Offline bigmills

The Squan and being sswamped by big boats
« on: August 08, 2010, 09:05:36 PM »
When I took my test I specifically remember the instructor a retired NJMSP saying every boat is responsible for there wake. Then why does every ahole with a big boat gun it coming out of the canal, passing the 35 Bridge or passing the area off the dog beach (FISHERMEN or people with nets and rods pretending) blow past everyone fishing and not just the ones in the channel they just about turning over small boats like me 16' swamping me knocking my daughter over hitting her arm. Why doesn't the NJSMP doing anything. I only take my Kayak out during the week because of this. My family are long time locals with a long history of commercial fisherman and bay-men. My father(the last of the bay-men) who lives in Point has to clam all the way down in Great Bay To get away from these people that and find clean clams that buyers want. I can't wait till September to get our town, waters and everything else back. Not that the Aholes will be gone there will just be less of them. I hope they make the whole river a no wake zone I am never in a hurry.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: The Squan and being sswamped by big boats
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:19:26 PM »
I was just there on Friday on the Manasquan side on land...lots of boat traffic.  And, I thought how crazy a lot of boaters were being through that area!

:headscra: nosmly

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:31:17 AM »
the water really rips thru the canal itself, I don't know the exact situation your speaking of but I do know about running your engine's at 5,000 rpm just to keep foreward movement to match the water going under your boat
And sure when someone is exiting the canal it may seem excessive and reckless when your in slow water and they are not
But they do slow down right away don't they ?

I agree no one should be allowed to fish in the entrance or exit of the canal way too dangerous

Its kinda like riding a bicycle on the Turnpike, You wouldn't do that would you? With your Daughter?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:39:02 AM by WATSNEXT »
Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:55:25 AM »
I've been boating in the Manasquan for over 25 years and this year there has been a complete lack of law enforcement presence on the water. With the exception of the Coast Guard, the marine police are no where to be found. There is NO WAKE around all bridges and NO WAKE buoys in these areas and no enforcement. I only fish weekdays and compliance is at an all time low. Every year there seems to be a serious accident. Not sure what the answer is but I believe the entire river from the canal to the inlet rocks should be NO WAKE. Until this is done more Marine Police presence is needed. Just my .02

Offline bigmills

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:39:57 PM »
When I am fluking in the river I stay to the sides of the channel when the boat traffic is heavy. At high tide it does not matter they cut through the fishing fleet without concern for anyone else but themselves. Now lets just say a large boat blasts trough and sinks a row boat or hurt some one due to there wake are they responsible even if the smaller boat was in the channel?

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 02:16:32 PM »
When I am fluking in the river I stay to the sides of the channel when the boat traffic is heavy. At high tide it does not matter they cut through the fishing fleet without concern for anyone else but themselves. Now lets just say a large boat blasts trough and sinks a row boat or hurt some one due to there wake are they responsible even if the smaller boat was in the channel?
Yes they can be found liable. The key word is can. I have a friend that runs a party boat to south that missed a few days fishing for court appearances due to a small craft swamping near an inlet. The boater claimed the party boat had excessive wake and caused his craft to swamp. The small craft sunk 2 more times when it was tied to the State Police dock. Some people exercise poor judgement at times. Should the whole river be declared no wake zone so the guys in tiny kayaks and row boats can fish in the middle of the channel on weekends. Should all the boats up the river add 2 hours to there trips to make up for the nice scenic no wake river cruise?  Should a boat show discertion when approaching a group of small boats fishing in an area? I would have to say it gos both ways in that area with plenty of blame and finger pointing to go around. If you are harmed by a boats wake report it. Also make sure that you followed "the rules of the road" as defined by CG standards. I try to fish in the many no wake zones on days of heavy traffic.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 02:20:52 PM »
I've never boated the Manasquan but people in general have no courtesy whether they're driving thier cars or a boat.

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »
There are only short stretches of the Manasquan that are "Not" no wake. The abuse is way beyond reasonable and would eliminate the confusion of where the NO WAKE areas begin/end.

Offline TRSteve71

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 11:56:40 PM »
I've been swamped before, not on the Squan but on Lake Hopatcong by bigger boats and what I have determined is, People don't care about anyone else anymore. People who will cut you off in thier cars will do the same thing in thier boats. I am finding more and more these days that people don't care if you were there first or not, if they can jump  in front of you and beat you to the next light by 15 seconds then they will.

People just suck!!!

Steve

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 06:31:30 PM »
Ive been out in the mud hole and commercial fishing boats just drove right thru us. Had we not moved he would have plowed into us. I was told he has the right of way????
Is that an excuse??? no wonder these guys shoot at each other and burn eachother's boats
Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

Offline bigmills

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 12:41:43 PM »
Discretion is the word I would use. If I see a boat coming through and it is congested I always get out of the way. My father is a commercial bay clammer and he has a ton of trouble working in the summer he only works Monday-Thursday in the summer. From the canal to the ocean is approximately 2.5 miles with about 1 mile being no wake if you count the inlet itself. I always thought the inlet was a no wake zone but by the looks of things I may be wrong. Even so the time added to the trip through the Manasquan from the canal to the ocean would be about 10 minutes.

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 06:06:25 PM »
Was on the Squan today, had a boat on a drift in the inlet for fluke two people aboard both fishing no one at the helm. nosmly They were almost hit at least two times and not one never even moved to the steering wheel.
Either they had a death wish or were just hoping that other boaters were looking out for them. Can't believe they could be that stupid.
There was another idiot in about a 16' foot boat at the mouth of the inlet right in the middle fishing, thought for sure someone was going to swamp him.  nts
Good things come to those who bait

Builds and repairs rods if needed

Offline bigmills

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 04:08:59 PM »
When I was in the Navy we did patrols out of Holy Loch Scotland (SUBMARINES) as we entered the Irish Sea the Scottish fishermen would drop there nets and try to catch our boat. They would be ready to go overboard when we did. (it happened twice while I was in that sub squadron but to other boats) The US would buy them a new boat if there was any damage to theirs. So then we waited to dive in the Atlantic putting us out their for the Russians to follow us "and they did" with there AGIs. Kind like someone drifting in the inlet waiting to get hit. 5hrug

Offline adienviro

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 08:49:52 PM »
Yes they can be found liable. The key word is can. I have a friend that runs a party boat to south that missed a few days fishing for court appearances due to a small craft swamping near an inlet. The boater claimed the party boat had excessive wake and caused his craft to swamp. The small craft sunk 2 more times when it was tied to the State Police dock. Some people exercise poor judgement at times. Should the whole river be declared no wake zone so the guys in tiny kayaks and row boats can fish in the middle of the channel on weekends. Should all the boats up the river add 2 hours to there trips to make up for the nice scenic no wake river cruise?  Should a boat show discertion when approaching a group of small boats fishing in an area? I would have to say it gos both ways in that area with plenty of blame and finger pointing to go around. If you are harmed by a boats wake report it. Also make sure that you followed "the rules of the road" as defined by CG standards. I try to fish in the many no wake zones on days of heavy traffic.

whs +1

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-