Author Topic: Pilot - Jig attempt 10/24  (Read 2753 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Pilot - Jig attempt 10/24
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:16:53 PM »
Had Capts Donnie Jr & Sr and Snagglepuss Nick out to work the jigs on Sunday.  Broke port and turned hook at first light.  Circled the south tower with some bird action between the channels. Rain fish, sand eels just below the surface in 58 degree water.  Weather spectacular.   Threw the arsenal at fish small working the bait.   Center console fly guys motored right into the birds in front of us and whipped their rods like cowboys rounding up stray cattle.  Yup sure enough, they hooked up with shorties while we watched with our deadlies, cripples, avas, shads, vision sand eels, blah blah blah being retrieved with mad abandon.  Man is that the pits. rgmn  We tried going small, going larges, small with teasers, you name it, it was out.  Now Snagglepuss had a different idea.  He stayed with the diamond jig all day long and played drop and reel with Lionel Ritchies!  Never seen a guy have such a blast.  Content just to drop and bam, bend that rod.  He did manage a couple of nice fluke that were returned and for his persistence a short strip.    We got word from Capt John - Reel Fun that he was on fish with the snakes on first drop and extended an invite to his spot.  Much appreciated  slt.   We put in our time in this area and watched a couple of fish come to the net but it was more LR's for Snaggle and nada for the rest of the crew. Got some fresh bait from Reel Tight  slt and tried our best to drop the hammer on one.  Got a couple of snifs. Thought I was on one but it turned out to be a Fluke that decided to try to engulf a 12" eel!  Go figure.   Decided to call it a day at around 1:30.   Donnie suggests a pass through the rips with the snakes as a last ditch effort.  Man are we desperate.  First Drop and Donnie Sr. is hooked up.  Hopes are high! This fish is cranking the rod over and showing the right characteristics of the real deal.  Net is out.... fish is starting to come to boat.... we see good shoulders.... now color.... and strips... 3 feet to the surface.... nets in the ready... goin for the dip and and and   ..... well that's just the kind of day it was.

Great crew. Good times!

Till next time  t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Pilot - Jig attempt 10/24
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:25:03 PM »
Nice report Jeff. It's a killer out there at times. Fortunately most trips are not like that.  t^
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:57:16 AM by IrishAyes »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 05:46:41 AM »
Nice job on the Ritchies. t^ ;D

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:03:07 AM »
Nice Report Jeff.... t^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline Tbone

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »
Pilot, Some days you win & some days you catch nada.  5hrug.  Nick did have a blast catching an assortment of fish on the AVA.  clp  You will get tem next time.  T-Bone

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:33:05 AM »
Never thought I'd say it-
You had some action on the Ritchies

there I said it. Nice trip, you got to see a bass...

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 09:42:05 AM »
As long as all of you had fun that's what counts in my book  t^

Offline Team Reel Tight

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 10:59:09 AM »
it was a tough weekend for everyone.......alot of smaller keepers couldn't land the big one......dam i hate that moon......thanks for the call.......and can u lend me the jigging master next time i go offshore if catches tuna like he catches sea robins we are in for a treat lol >:D

Offline Capt. Don Sr

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »
Great day at SEA with CAPT Z on the Z-OBSSESION,Had good subs and good SUDS  chrz Pleanty of action,skates,sea birds,mini sea bass,pogies,throw back fluke,shortie stripes,and a sun dab and we even had the pleasure to drop a keeper stripe at the net.ALL IN ALL A BANNER DAY FISHING.Thank you Capt Z

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Lionel Richies can "TRULY" give you plenty of action. fcp :P :P

I HAD TO DO IT~~ ;D
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline nascarwarren

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 08:52:51 PM »
 whs chrz t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-