Author Topic: New member, new to the sport  (Read 4110 times)

Offline albino

New member, new to the sport
« on: October 29, 2010, 09:26:28 PM »
Hello guys,  Just a quick intro from myself.  I live in NEPA and would love to get into the sport of surf fishing.  I took my wife on a brief weekend trip to Seaside Park in Sept and for some unknown reason I just took a liking to the sport.  I don't have a clue what to do where to go or how to catch the stripers.  Just like being there but sooner or later I'll have to start to learn the sport, so if anyone has any advice as to what, where when or how to catch these fish I'm willing to listen and learn.  Thanks for letting me into the forum.  I look forward from hearing from everyone.  Thanks again, keep fishing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: New member, new to the sport
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 09:40:12 PM »
Welcome Al..  You came to the right place.

Make sure to read this forum over
http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?board=47.0  some GREAT INFO there for new guys wanting to fish from the beach.

You will still have a lot of questions.  please post them up as you wish.  These guys love to help.

you are picking a great sport  t^

For tackle and maybe a Starter Rod.  Dicks sporting goods is a great start.
Or Capt Rich from -------- t^

Offline fishaholic

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 10:29:23 PM »
Welcome Al, this is a great place to learn the sport of surf fishing. I too am new to the great sport, (wife and I went back in Sept. in Sea Isle City,) first time in many many years for me, first time for her now we are both hooked. It is alot of fun, even when not catching anything, just the thrill of it is awesome. I tend to read as many posts and reports as I can on any certain beach I am wanting to fish. Also talking to the guy at the local bait shop helps alot. This is a great sport to take up. It can be very very trying at times, however the reward in the end pays for itself. There is nothing more satisfiying than spending a morning on the beach, being rewarded with a nice catch and getting home in time to toss it on some charcoal. Ask away any question you have. This place is loaded with helpful guys and gals. I am getting out more often now then ever b4, if you have a day off from work and want to hit the surf for a few hours just do it. If you want  someone to join you, then let me know. I am not an expert but enjoy learning from others and teaching what I can. Good luck and happy fishing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 10:40:38 PM »
Welcome! t^

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 10:42:05 PM »
Welcome albino!  Where in NEPA ya from?  That's my old stomping grounds.

PS.  The fall striper run is upon us as we speak.  Get a pole in the water with some bunker chunks on the hook and you got yourself a damn good chance of a bass biting on it.   t^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 11:36:25 PM »
Welcome Albino.  The sport of surf fishing can be very addictive as you will shortly find out.  I have been at it for over 50 years and like I tell my wife I will be at it till I get it right.  One of the best pieces of advice I can give you right now is to pick an area to fish in and get used to that section of beach.  familiarity is a big part of this sport.  Knowing the beach and the way the cuts, holes, rips, and sloughs run is so very important to bring home the fish.

Once you have decided on the beach the next thing would be to pick out a good Bait & Tackle shop and start asking questions and buying little stuff to start.  Like Rod mentioned we have a few guys in the business here like Buctail who works for Dick's Sporting Goods and Rich up in Point Pleasant who runs a tackle shop up there. 

To start with don't go overboard with your equipment in the beginning.  Good equipment will come along later once you are hooked and you are beyond reason with the choices of stuff to have in your arsenal and tackle box. 

If you decide to make Seaside Heights or the Park your beach of choice just let me know and I will show you some of the interesting things about that area as it is my home base.  My starting point it Island Beach State Park, and I spread out from there. 

Next after you decide on your first rod and reel is to get it christened with anything that swims.  Right now is a great time as the fall striper run is just about to start and there are a number of other fish that make their Way along with the bass like blue fish. 

Keep it simple at first and progress from there.  You might not catch anything at first but when you are able to start to read the beach and are able to tell where the structure is than it gets exciting. 

If you are around my area and want some pointers just let me know as I am out at least 3 times a week this time of year.  Just PM me with your details and I will make plans to get you out onto the beach.

But for now read away and make that first purchase and never look back.  You will never regret it.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 07:27:51 AM »
Welcome to the site!  t^
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 08:00:57 AM »
Welcome aboard!  slt
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-