Author Topic: Pilot and Capt Don Jr - Tog Limit 10.5 Lber season wrap - 11/23  (Read 3916 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Pilot and Capt Don Jr - Tog Limit 10.5 Lber season wrap - 11/23
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:26:46 PM »
They say the third times the charm.  At least that's the party line.  Well, I can tell you we had a real good day.   This is how it all unfolds.  Sitting on a conference call at 8:00 last night.  Did some premiliminary look at weather forecast as I had every intention of getting out on Wednesday.  Wind looked like a real blow out and options for the weekend were not that good between forecasted wind and other things scheduled for the next couple days after Turkey day.  How the heck can we squeeze one more in if the weather will not cooperate?  BB in hand, I rifle off a text to Capt D.Jr.  "I think I'm feeling a little sick for tomorrow. Are you in?"  He jumps all over it.  Makes a call.  Gets coverage.  I send a note off to the boss and we planning on a 5:45 meet for a run down to the marina.   We had 76 clams, a 2 dozen greenies left over from last trip sitting in the cooler waiting for the Wednesday run.   

We do our usual ritual stuff.  Donnie says he put on the same clothes as Friday's trip to not screw with the mojo.  I'm guilty of the same kind of superstitions.  Red & Black, white hat etc.   You get the picture.  You do it too!

We launch in a good ripping current in a tight slip with a little bit of high anxiety but clear our way to the Shrews and make it around the tip.   Like clock work, we find the bird activity predictably in the same vicinity between the channels.  Today was a little different.  Water was flat.  Bass were rolling on the surface with birds all over the place.   We through the jigs for a bit but no interest.  Donnie breaks out some surface plugs and we hug a pod of bass boiling.  A beautiful sight watching a plug get crushed.  Especially on the first cast.   Donnie is cranking away and puts the stops on a nice 29" that's got a bloated gut full of sandies.  We hung around with Bass right at the transom but couldn't get another one going.   No time to waste.  We got some dunking to do!

By 7:45 we’re at the destination and the markers dropped.   We get tight on the anchor on the first attempt and start dropping eight oz with clams and crabs.   Don is first to strike and continues to pound the tog.   Keeps are slow to come by and they‘re short by a half inch.  I'm not doing much here and feel like its going to be one of those days.  Pulled a few shorts but couldn't keep pace with Mr Steady who suggests " sometimes you just have to change it up entirely.  Give the Croix a shot"   I was working an ugly stick to see if it had the right touch. Probably does and it‘s operator error.   I'm thinking that experiment is over.   Break out the Croix and Wha La!  Hook up ratio improves dramatically.  One other boat came sniffing around and hung out for about an hour and then bailed.  The bottom we were working had all the right characteristics - jagged peaks, rocks, wreckage, debris and plenty of life.   

So, the morning passes fairly quick.   We have a count of 10 fish in the box.  All of which were a heartier stock than last report.   Most of the throw backs were just short 13.5 inch.   Clams seemed to be the bait of preference.  I slop on a whole clam  threading the loose ends around the hook to keep everything intact.  Drop it down and instantly get hammered.  "Don, Don,  this is what we came here for today"   The Croix is flexed.  Bent like a willow branch real good.  The drag on the Shimano was cranked down tight.  Good thing.. Tip up high and a few cranks gave me enough leverage on this brute.   Amazed by the power of this fish.   Made me think of a deisel motor with that low end crazy torque.   He fought.  Did not want to come up.  Decided it was  his gig not mine and dragged me back near home base but then gave up the good fight.  Still tugged all the way back on the line I just gave back to him.   Gets to the surface where Donnie has the net. He takes the plunge and puts the nylon wrap on this fish.   What a nice fish….we’re fist bumpin like we just won the trifecta.   Man what a way to wrap up the season.   PB - got an unofficial 10.5 lb on the hand held digital. Couldn’t have happened at a better time or with a better fishing partner.   He was net man on my PB Fluke too!       

Sad day, pulling the boat tomorrow but will relive some found memories fishing with the likes of Tbone, Capts Don Jr, Don Sr, Nickshaw, Snagglepuss, Joey Pops, Reel Tight, Paul, Lt Willy, Skunk, Kooz, Poor Dog, Silent Assassin, Pops O'Bryne, Brian, Shay Shay, Trash Talker, Witchesbru, Doc, The Bee Man, PA boys. Hope to widen the network next year.

Best of luck to all that are still fishing and here's to all of you during the off season!  chrz

Offline Team Reel Tight

• Full Member of the Den
Re: Pilot and Capt Don Jr - Tog Limit 10.5 Lber season wrap - 11/23
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 10:39:04 PM »
nice work capt.......what a season and some great memories

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 11:39:13 PM »
NICE TOG!  Congrats on the double digit pb!
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 05:48:10 AM »
 clp  Great trip guys .  Nice Fish t^

Offline shayshay

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 05:50:42 AM »
Hey Brother sounds like you finished up  this season strong clp. Had a great time fishing with you this past weeeknd with a lot of laughs "knock, knock -who's there? Radio. Radio who?" as well as fish. I look forward to next year fishing on Z'Obsession..... ;D

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 06:52:19 AM »
clp  Great trip guys .  Nice Fish t^
    t^     whs      t^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 08:53:20 AM »
great trip
congrats on the PB

Offline Tbone

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 10:24:48 AM »
Pilot, What a way to end the season on a PB Blackfish.  You will be thinking of that fish all winter.  Well, just want to thank you for all the great trips we had this year. Spring claming and trolling for striper, mid summer fluke & then late season blackfish.  What a great year.   chrz  We have at least one more trip remaining.  Not over just yet  TT^  T-Bone

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 10:35:31 AM »
Congrats on the pb and way to wrap up the season!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 01:59:07 PM »
Sweet fish clp.... way to wrap up 2010 with a PB t^

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 04:31:14 PM »
 clp

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
 slt ;D Congrats on the PB

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 06:02:08 PM »
Nice fish and great report. You had a fine season Jeff. Here's to an even better one next year.  chrz
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 01:12:41 AM »
Awesome Jeff!  WTG!  Great season ender! t^

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 04:44:05 AM »
 t^ Nice way to end it. Congrats  chrz
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Capt. Don Sr

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 08:03:17 AM »
Nice TAUG  t^ you worked hard enough,catching fish for your crew every single time you take us out on the Z OBSSESION,The hard work and the worring about being in the right place,or right tide and wind and bait and if the lures are right,or are we going to get SKUNKED today.CAPT Z you even made sure everyone had a butter roll in the morning before we started fishing.GREAT FISH FOR A GREAT GUY. chrz YOUR FISHING BUDDY CAPT DON SR

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 11:32:38 AM »
Fine report  clp  and an awesome way to put a cap on a great season  t^  chrz

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 10:45:50 AM »
great report Jeff TT^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-