Author Topic: Fisherman catches not only fish, but rod............APP Article  (Read 3063 times)

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
Fisherman catches not only fish, but rod............APP Article
« on: December 03, 2010, 01:08:47 PM »
Any surf jockeys lose some gear?  5hrug

From APP - By Jim Hutchinson

I want to start the column off this week by wishing good luck to all you deer hunters next week when the firearms hunting season opens up on Dec. 6.

At one time, deer season was a really big event in southern Ocean County, with large deer clubs coming down for the week to join the locals in scouring the woods for the big bucks.It was a welcome infusion of business locally, and the clubs hired many locals as cooks and drivers in the woods. It was such a big event that local high schools were closed on the first day of the season so the boys could go hunting with their dads.

Encroaching development, economics and other interests have reduced the participation rate, but this will still be a big week for many outdoorsmen. For all of you hitting the woods, be sure to hunt responsibly and safely. The most important thing to keep in your mind is the old saying, "Be sure of your target and beyond."

I hear stories every once in a while about someone fishing and latching onto a fishing rod that another angler has dropped overboard. I just heard a story about a fisherman not only reeling in a rod, but a fish on the end of the line, too.

Ted Moore sent me a message telling me about fishing in a boat a week ago last Saturday with a couple of friends about a quarter mile off Beach Haven. After catching some 15-pound bluefish, he and his friend Dave both felt they had a fish on at the same time. It turned out they were snagged on another line.

As they pulled in that line, they could feel a fish fighting on the end. There also seemed to be a dead weight on the other end of the line. Ted pulled in the dead weight first to find a 9-foot surf rod and reel.

They tried reeling in the line on the surf rod and brought in a tired 25-pound striped bass. Once they got in from the trip, they dropped the rod and reel off at a tackle shop to be serviced, and cleaned the fish to eat.

Ted told me that if the owner of the rod and reel can identify it, he will gladly return it. The fish is another matter, however, as it has already been eaten. He can be reached at 610-809-0871.

Jeff Bauer, the mate on the Carolyn Ann III out of Barnegat Light, reports they have been having a ball catching blackfish on the wrecks and big bluefish and stripers on their jigging trips. Recent pool winners on the wreck trips were Claire Sands of Jenkintown, Pa., with a 7-pound blackfish and John "Cheeseman" Weber of Manahawkin with a 6.5-pounder. Ron Nociti took last Sunday's pot with a 6.2 pound blackfish.

As I mentioned recently, they also had a couple of charters with local high school fishing clubs. One day, they had a group from the Barnegat High School Fishing Club led by Brett Taylor. They jigged for stripers and bluefish and boated mostly bluefish with a few stripers. A day later, they had a charter from the Southern Regional High School Fishing Club led by Jason Hoch. This trip resulted in "tons of bluefish" with a sprinkling of stripers. Jeff was raving about what a great time it was with the two groups of "young adults who are the future of the fishing industry."

Incidentally, the Barnegat High School Fishing Club will be holding its second annual Fisherman's Flea Market from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 11, You can reel in some holiday deals on a variety of new and used fishing gear and collectibles.

The show will be at the high school, 180 Bengal Boulevard in Barnegat. Admission to the show is just $3 with kids 12 and younger admitted for free. Advisor Brett Taylor says he still has some tables available for vendors. If interested give him a call at 609-290-7709. All proceeds help underwrite the activities of this great group of kids.

Sal Rosa, mate on the "Miss Beach Haven," reported they sailed on Thanksgiving with a handful of anglers. They had to work hard but managed to put together a respectable catch of bluefish and stripers. Mike from Tabernacle took top honors with a 12-pound striper.Rather than heading to the mall and shopping on Black Friday, Sal helped a small group of anglers have a great day of striper fishing despite a nasty day. Originally, they planned to fish for blackfish, but they made the move with great success to bass. The bass were in the 8-15 pound range.
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Re: Fisherman catches not only fish, but rod............APP Article
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 02:18:34 PM »
 t^  Nice Write-Up Jason   t^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 02:22:14 PM »
I didn't write it.  But you can commend my copy-and-paste skills!  t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »
 t^ ;D

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 06:08:19 PM »
Nice Job Jason....way to come clean with the cut n paste  hhppy   As long as the info gets out there  t^

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 06:38:11 PM »
I figured "From APP By Jim Hutchinson" was a dead giveaway.  fcp  ;D

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 07:20:06 PM »
 ;D

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 12:55:44 PM »
Nice Job Jason....way to come clean with the cut n paste  hhppy   As long as the info gets out there  t^

What kind of paste do you use? Elmers? ;D
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 04:56:47 PM »

consider them commended!

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 07:04:57 AM »
Nice Job Jason Thanks   t^ t^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »
Nice Job Jason Thanks   t^ t^

We caught a rod and reel in October at the Shrews rocks. Scott G dropped it overboard 20 minutes prior to that. ;D
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-