Author Topic: 9/11 responders  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
9/11 responders
« on: December 22, 2010, 05:00:56 AM »
 I wonder how he would feel if no one showed up if he needed emergency services?

http://blastmagazine.com/2010/12/21/doctor-senator-tom-coburn-to-block-the-911-health-care-bill/

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
Re: 9/11 responders
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 08:49:43 AM »
Just noticed that this is your # 911 post...
How's that for carma?? 

I think we can all agree that the Senate should definitely act on this...

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:50:52 AM »
Just noticed that this is your # 911 post...
How's that for carma?? 

That's a goocher!
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:57:40 AM »
Just ridiculous. But, I wouldn't expect anything different. nosmly

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 11:28:12 AM »
 nosmly  whs  nosmly
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:32:48 PM »
Do I get a prize or something? I didn't even notice that is was 911 post. Should I go play the lottery or something? :headscra:

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 02:34:12 PM »
I hope your house catches fire and when the RESPONDERS show up they use it
to roast marshmallows. You F****** nice guy!

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 03:23:26 PM »
Do I get a prize or something? I didn't even notice that is was 911 post. Should I go play the lottery or something? :headscra:

Maybe...I just happend to notice that this morning when I read your post.....

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 09:09:11 AM »
As a military and law enforcement man I am absolutely DISGUSTED!!!
both my Brother and I were there on the 3rd day and they sent us home the next because they had TOO many volunteers....we never experienced any problems HOWEVER, the real heros who worked the site for days on in and got ill DESERVE all the FREE assistance from the government NO questions asked!!!! Instead of bailing out these scumbag companies how about bailing out the AMERICAN PEOPLE!!!! It is absoluting disgusting that this a$$hole is giving our American Heros problems like this! This man should be hung for TREASON!!!

okay now I got that out...how's everybody? Remember: Keep CHRIST in Christmas  ;D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 09:13:20 AM by Tacklebox Joe »

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 09:19:26 AM »
As a military and law enforcement man I am absolutely DISGUSTED!!!
both my Brother and I were there on the 3rd day and they sent us home the next because they had TOO many volunteers....we never experienced any problems HOWEVER, the real heros who worked the site for days on in and got ill DESERVE all the FREE assistance from the government NO questions asked!!!! Instead of bailing out these scumbag companies how about bailing out the AMERICAN PEOPLE!!!! It is absoluting disgusting that this a$$hole is giving our American Heros problems like this! This man should be hung for TREASON!!!

okay now I got that out...how's everybody? Remember: Keep CHRIST in Christmas  ;D

clp chrz

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
UPDATE: 9/11 responders
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 10:01:01 AM »
Well, after Mr. Coburn held  out as long as he could and finally getting a deal which made this aid package smaller (but still substantial) the bill was passed! 
clp
Deal reached on aid package for 9/11 responders

Bill provides $6.2 billion to survivors and responders to 2001 terrorist attacks

By ANDREW MIGA
The Associated Press
updated 12/22/2010

WASHINGTON — After a last-minute compromise, the Senate and House both passed legislation Wednesday to provide up to $4.2 billion in new aid to survivors of the September 2001 terrorism attack on the World Trade Center and responders who became ill working in its ruins.

President Obama has said he looks forward to signing the measure, though some supporters of the bill have criticized him for not getting more involved in the fight.

The measure was a product of a compromise involving Democratic Sens. Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York and Republican Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma.

"The Christmas miracle we've been looking for has arrived," Schumer and Gillibrand said in a joint statement.

The 9/11 legislation provides money for monitoring and treating illnesses related to Ground Zero and reopens a victims' compensation fund for another five years to cover wage and other economic losses of sickened workers and nearby residents. Schumer and Gillibrand had sought $6.2 billion and keeping the compensation fund open for 10 years.

"Every American recognizes the heroism of the 9/11 first responders, but it is not compassionate to help one group while robbing future generation of opportunity," said Coburn, who led a GOP blockade against the bill. "This agreement strikes a fair balance."

Bill gains momentum
The bill gained momentum with help from cable TV personalities. Among the biggest champions of the package were Fox News anchor Shepard Smith and comedian and activist Jon Stewart, who championed the bill and lashed its GOP foes on his Comedy Central TV program "The Daily Show."

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg praised Congress for finally hammering out a bill.

"As we look forward to the 10th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, I am encouraged that our elected representatives in Washington came together and stood by those who were there for America in its hour of greatest need," Bloomberg said.

The compromise was reached after Democrats scheduled a showdown test vote for Wednesday afternoon and Republicans countered by threatening to run a 30-hour clock before allowing final Senate and House votes on the bill. That would have required keeping both the Senate and House in session for votes on Christmas Eve.

Backers worried that the bill would face a much tougher fight in the new, more fiscally conservative Congress where Republicans will have a stronger hand.

"Any single senator can hold this up way past Christmas and we know that can kill the bill," Schumer said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" program Wednesday.

Nearly 16,000 responders and 2,700 people living near ground zero are currently sick and receiving treatment, supporters of the bill said. More than 40,000 responders are in medical monitoring, backers said.

The bill would be paid for with a fee on some foreign firms that get U.S. government procurement contracts. The bill also calls for extending fees on certain firms that rely on H-1B and L-1 visas.

Researchers have found that people exposed to the thick clouds of pulverized building materials at the trade center site have high rates of asthma and sinus problems. Many firefighters also suffered a reduction in lung power.

Doctors aren't sure, though, exactly how many people are ill, and scientific doubt persists about just how many of the hundreds of illnesses are actually linked to the trade center dust. Doctors still don't know whether there is any connection between the dust and potentially fatal illnesses like cancer.

The legislation is named for James Zadroga, a police detective who died at age 34. His supporters say he died from respiratory disease contracted at ground zero, but New York City's medical examiner said Zadroga's lung condition was caused by prescription drug abuse. 

And for those who don't read. ;D

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 10:04:11 AM »
 clp

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 10:08:39 AM »
Thanks Bob..I still want to bitch slap that guy! smk smk

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 01:56:30 PM »
When all others were running away to save their lives it was police, fire and medical responders who were running to the site to serve and attempt to save others.

This guy should be ashamed of himself for even thinking that the first responders don't deserve proper treatment.

Thankfully, most have come to their senses and passed a somewhat respectable aid package.

Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 05:18:03 PM »
This guy should be ashamed of himself for even thinking that the first responders don't deserve proper treatment.

ashamed and put in front of a firing line!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Obama signs Sept. 11 first responders bill
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 08:24:04 PM »

Obama signs Sept. 11 first responders bill

The new law will provide aid to the survivors of the terror attacks and to those who became ill working in the ruins

Associated Press 01/02/11

HONOLULU — President Barack Obama said Sunday he was honored to sign a bill to provide aid to survivors of the Sept. 11 attacks and first responders who became ill working in the ruins at the World Trade Center.

"We will never forget the selfless courage demonstrated by the firefighters, police officers and first responders who risked their lives to save others," Obama said in a statement. "I believe this is a critical step for those who continue to bear the physical scars of those attacks."

The James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act was named after a police officer who died of a respiratory disease he contracted during the 9/11 rescue operations. The bill was one of the last measures Congress passed before adjourning in December.

Some Republicans tried to block the measure, saying they were concerned with how to pay for the bill. They dropped their opposition after lawmakers struck a compromise to reduce the costs.

The measure was a product of a compromise involving Democratic Sens. Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York and Republican Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma. Schumer and Gillibrand had sought $6.2 billion and keeping the compensation fund open for 10 years.

The compromise was reached after Democrats scheduled a showdown test vote for Dec. 22 and Republicans countered by threatening to run a 30-hour clock before allowing final Senate and House votes on the bill. That would have required keeping both the Senate and House in session for votes on Christmas Eve.

The bill gained momentum with help from cable TV personalities. Among the biggest champions of the package were Fox News anchor Shepard Smith and comedian and activist Jon Stewart, who championed the bill and lashed its GOP foes on his Comedy Central TV program "The Daily Show."

The $4.2 billion measure will be paid for with a fee on some foreign companies that get U.S. government procurement contracts.

There was no signing ceremony for the bill; Obama signed it privately at the rented oceanfront home in Hawaii where he's staying with his family.

White House spokesman Bill Burton said Obama had 10 days to sign the bill after its passage, a window that would have closed by the time the president returned to Washington Tuesday. Because the White House didn't receive the official bill until after Obama departed Washington Dec. 22, Burton said a staff member who was headed to Hawaii after the president carried it here for his signature.

Nearly 16,000 responders and 2,700 people living near ground zero are currently sick and receiving treatment, supporters of the measure said. More than 40,000 responders are in medical monitoring, backers said.

Researchers have found that people exposed to the thick clouds of pulverized building materials at the trade center site have high rates of asthma and sinus problems. Many firefighters also suffered a reduction in lung power.

Doctors aren't sure, though, exactly how many people are ill, and scientific doubt persists about just how many of the hundreds of illnesses are actually linked to the trade center dust. Doctors still don't know whether there is any connection between the dust and potentially fatal illnesses like cancer.

(Below)  President Barack Obama signs H.R. 847, the "James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act" in Kailua, Hawaii, Jan. 2.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:26:01 PM by Bucktail »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-