Author Topic: NJ Marine Recreational Angling License, what would you like to see?  (Read 3741 times)

Offline njdiver

I am opening up this new thread to debate the issue of creating a NJ Marine Recreational Angling License. There are several Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) that are working up their versions. Please list the most important points you would like to see included in the final version of legislation.

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
Re: NJ Marine Recreational Angling License, what would you like to see?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 01:19:10 PM »
I am opening up this new thread to debate the issue of creating a NJ Marine Recreational Angling License. There are several Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) that are working up their versions. Please list the most important points you would like to see included in the final version of legislation.

Great Post. ;D  NJ you post more links to legislation and fact based media reports than any person in NJ that I am aware of .Thanks...even if I do not agree or see eye to eye on every point the information is always useful.  
I am a little short on time(Florida here I come ;D) to do the needed research so if anybody could post links to other states (pro or con it would be much appreciated).

My suggestion for starters would be that prior to our state instituting a saltwater licence fee that legislation must be passed and signed into law that guarantees a set minimum  funding level for the DEP/NJFG. That level must be signed into the law(if its even possible). Really I have no fear of fees going to the general fund( plenty of legislation that already prevents that). My concerns are that with new revenues being generated from saltwater licence sales will be used as funding and be part of the exsisting  budget for the DEP/NJFG. I do not know if I explained properly but my point is it would amount to a  net gain of zero. They would be able to slash funding from the general state budget for the DEP and replace the money with licence revenue.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:28:20 PM by Capt. Birch »

Offline njdiver

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 01:27:22 PM »
Great Post. ;D  NJ you post more links to legislation and fact based media reports than any person in NJ that I am aware of .Thanks...even if I do not agree or see eye to eye on every point the information is always useful. 

You’re quite welcome.

I am a little short on time(Florida here I come ;D) to do the needed research so if anybody could post links to other states (pro or con it would be much appreciated).

I have a file of all East Coast State’s licenses, what are you looking for?

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 02:02:51 PM »

You’re quite welcome.

I have a file of all East Coast State’s licenses, what are you looking for?

What are some of the states that you think are getting it right and what ones got it real wrong. What states IYO have seen a positive change due to a licence.  I must assume that  some states have done impact studies and written reviews.  Most threads I read get way off topic pretty quick. With NJ being about the last state without a licences maybe we as rec fisherman should start getting the ducks in a row and help write legstation so it can really benefit us(rec fisherman) and the resource. This thread is a good start.  At the present time I am 100% against a NJ saltwater licence but am open to the idea if it can be shown to have a positive cost to benefit .

Second point ;D I suggest that "for Hire" be able to purchase a season long licence that cover all fisherman on the vessel. Case in point is California you need to by a $10 licence to do a day trip on a head boat.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
My suggestion for starters would be that prior to our state instituting a saltwater licence fee that legislation must be passed and signed into law that guarantees a set minimum  funding level for the DEP/NJFG. That level must be signed into the law(if its even possible). Really I have no fear of fees going to the general fund( plenty of legislation that already prevents that). My concerns are that with new revenues being generated from saltwater licence sales will be used as funding and be part of the exsisting  budget for the DEP/NJFG. I do not know if I explained properly but my point is it would amount to a  net gain of zero. They would be able to slash funding from the general state budget for the DEP and replace the money with licence revenue.

CApt Birch, let me use this illustration of what you mean...if NJ was to collect $200,000.00 from license fees NJ would take $200,000.00 away from what is presently budgeted and replace it with the new license fee it is collecting making for a zero gain. NJ would then move that original $200,000.00 they had budgeted and put it into general fund and spend it as they please.

As far as a license, let the government explain to me what the benefit would be to anyone. Will they be stocking the ocean? Building ramps that won't help the party boat/charter fishermen or the guys who dock their boat for the season? What exactly would the state be doing with this new found cash flow? If they can give me a REASONABLE answer then maybe I can deal with a license. Until then, I'll continue to fish for free as they have more than enough cash income from their taxes as it is. Let them use that money PROPERLY before they gouge us any more.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »
 Thanks Joe you nailed it. That is my concern when it come to funding .
  Shockingly  cfzd I see there may be a slight outside chance we may not agree on the rest of the post. ;D Have a Happy New Year for you and your whole family.
PS are you interested in going to the public input meeting on Summer flounder on the 6th? Maybe grab a bite before or after?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 04:26:35 PM »
I am not entirely against a license. But, I would expect a license to be meaningful and not just another government excersize of putting their hand in my pocket. I can do that well enough on my own.  cfzd  ;D

Is the flounder meeting in Galloway?

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
I am not entirely against a license. But, I would expect a license to be meaningful and not just another government excersize of putting their hand in my pocket. I can do that well enough on my own.  cfzd  ;D

Is the flounder meeting in Galloway?
As I uderstand it. NJ Marine Fisheries Council
     Thursday @ 4pm at Galloway Public Libray
      Jimmie Leeds RD Absecon NJ

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 04:54:50 PM »
I would like to attend, yes. Anyone else interested?

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 05:04:29 PM »
I would like to attend, yes. Anyone else interested?
How about we start a new post and Rod to put one of those cool sticky things and NJDiver wont be pissed for us hijacking his awesome thread. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 05:06:28 PM by Capt. Birch »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »
 TT^

Offline njdiver

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 05:39:59 PM »
No problem guys, I'm on the road with family shopping.  Home shortly.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »
I'm with Joe.  Put the money back into the fishery and I'd have no problem shelling out a yearly fee. 
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-