Author Topic: Assembly Bill Passes! Time for Gov. to Sign it!  (Read 3995 times)

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
Assembly Bill Passes! Time for Gov. to Sign it!
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:13:25 PM »
Just got the call, the Amended Assembly bill for the Saltwater Registry.... that is the FREE registry has passed with only 8 dissenting votes. A super majority was attained, and it is now going to the governor's desk for his signature.

Time to let the governor know we need this signed NOW.

Thanks to all those who have faxed, e-mailed and called on this issue. The final round has been reached, despite the attempts of some to derail this process.

The lies and insinuations by others have not gone by unnoticed. Groups that tried to make this new assembly vote appear as if it was a funding issue only added to the ire of many saltwater anglers, myself included.

For those that do not know, the language change the Assembly needed to vote on was, and I will bold this part for all to see, to make sure that the language in the fish and game law that BANS the state from creating a saltwater license STAYED IN THE LAW!!!

Many people do not realize that the fish and game code prohibits a SWL.(or does not authorize the state do implement one) This bill maintains that language while implementing a FREE registry.

For 31 years this language has remained, let's keep it that way!

" 23:2B-18. Saltwater recreational anglers license
Nothing in this act shall authorize the imposition of a saltwater recreational anglers license on any person.

L.1979, c. 199, s. 82, eff. Sept. 19, 1979."
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:17:03 PM by CaptTB »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Assembly Bill Passes! Time for Gov. to Sign it!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »
 clp t^

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 04:41:22 PM »
 clp   GREAT NEWS   clp
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Online Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »
Awesome! t^  Thanks to the SSFFF, RFA, Senator Van Drew and everyone else who helped getting this passed! clp

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »
Attached is template PDF file to print and send to Gov. Chris Christie
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline njdiver

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 08:28:36 PM »
A823 Requires DEP to establish free recreational saltwater fishing registry.

Passed both Houses

A823 Requires DEP to establish free recreational saltwater fishing registry.

Passed both Houses

1/6/2011 Received in the Assembly, 2nd Reading on Concurrence
1/6/2011 Passed Assembly (Passed Both Houses) (66-7-3)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:46:57 PM by njdiver »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 08:32:54 PM »
 w00t w00t Great news. As Bucktail said, thanks to all who played a part in getting this done.

One question that someone posed to me...if the gov signs this and it is finally passed, do those who have signed up for the federal registry have to also sign up for the state registry? Anyone have any idea?
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline The dropoff

• Sponsor
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »
You will have to sign up again but it will be on a NJ site. 

Capt. Fran Verdi
Francesca Marie
27' CC May-Craft

RFA-NJ Member

We are now on Facebook come and be a fan. 

"I am a Fisherman and that is what I am"

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:37:16 PM »
Thanks Capt.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Great American Fisherman

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
Fran would know.

BTW, Fran.  Received an email from Tina Berger at the ASMFC.  She will email a press release to me on Friday, January 7.  Stating that Black Sea Bass and Porgy in 2011 will be at the 2010 size and bag limits.  For what its worth.  I wrote her back and ask about the "states" situation.  It does not sound like to me that there will be a state specific deal. Meaning MASS and RI could be different than NJ and DE.  I could be wrong.  I will give the press release to Joe and see if he wants it posted.  Unless others are on the mailing list.  Thanks!

Offline The dropoff

• Sponsor
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 09:12:12 PM »
That is not true. This what was approved:

New Motion
Amend to adopt the following coastwide measures for black sea bass
Move to adopt a 13 inches 25 fish open season  July 1 to Oct 1 then Nov 1 to Dec 31
These measures will remain in effect until such time that the ASMFC approves an addendum to () evaluates and proves regional specifications for black sea bass that achieve the necessary reduction in the fishing mortality for 2011, at which time management measures in Federal water will revert to status quo.
Motion Carries

They are trying to do it State by state but if unable to do it they will go back to coastwide measures.  Here is what I know about it.  If we go state by state State - Mass and RI will have to take a huge reductions since they over fished the most.  Like they might not have a season at all.  If this happen who will be the next set of state for the following year.  NY and NJ will have most and we will be next to have no season since we will have landed the most fish.  For what it is worth it is better that we do not do state by state. We might get a longer season this year only to be shut out of it next year.   I might have more on this from the next meeting of the ASMFC

I hope this helps

Capt. Fran Verdi
Francesca Marie
27' CC May-Craft

RFA-NJ Member

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 09:31:59 PM »
Fran would know.

BTW, Fran.  Received an email from Tina Berger at the ASMFC.  She will email a press release to me on Friday, January 7.  Stating that Black Sea Bass and Porgy in 2011 will be at the 2010 size and bag limits.  For what its worth.  I wrote her back and ask about the "states" situation.  It does not sound like to me that there will be a state specific deal. Meaning MASS and RI could be different than NJ and DE.  I could be wrong.  I will give the press release to Joe and see if he wants it posted.  Unless others are on the mailing list.  Thanks!
In order for status quo(same season as last year) the addendum needs to be completed to the management plan. The addendum will be like a coastal equivalence(think fluke) for seabass.  At the Virgina meeting they talked with going with a regional approach rather than a state by state one. Now they still have to get together and cut up the pie. ??? ???  The regional plans will still have to have massive reductions to stay under this seasons quota. What happens if federal waters are open but state waters are closed? What happens to federally permitted vessels when states have more restrictive limits than feds? What happens when states choose not to comply  with a federal quota and are found in non compliance? Can anything this complicated ever be worked out in such a short time?

I am starting to book seabass trips for the 7/1 opener

At least on a very good note just one signature and we have one less thing to worry about
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:36:38 PM by Capt. Birch »

Offline The dropoff

• Sponsor
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 09:47:18 PM »
Fran would know.

BTW, Fran.  Received an email from Tina Berger at the ASMFC.  She will email a press release to me on Friday, January 7.  Stating that Black Sea Bass and Porgy in 2011 will be at the 2010 size and bag limits.  For what its worth.  I wrote her back and ask about the "states" situation.  It does not sound like to me that there will be a state specific deal. Meaning MASS and RI could be different than NJ and DE.  I could be wrong.  I will give the press release to Joe and see if he wants it posted.  Unless others are on the mailing list.  Thanks!
In order for status quo(same season as last year) the addendum needs to be completed to the management plan. The addendum will be like a coastal equivalence(think fluke) for seabass.  At the Virgina meeting they talked with going with a regional approach rather than a state by state one. Now they still have to get together and cut up the pie. ??? ???  The regional plans will still have to have massive reductions to stay under this seasons quota. What happens if federal waters are open but state waters are closed? What happens to federally permitted vessels when states have more restrictive limits than feds? What happens when states choose not to comply  with a federal quota and are found in non compliance? Can anything this complicated ever be worked out in such a short time?

I am starting to book seabass trips for the 7/1 opener

At least on a very good note just one signature and we have one less thing to worry about

I am also booking my Season on 7/1 as the opener  and Capt. Birch has explained it much better that I did.  Thanks

Capt. Fran Verdi
Francesca Marie
27' CC May-Craft

RFA-NJ Member

Offline njdiver

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 08:16:13 PM »
You will have to sign up again but it will be on a NJ site.  

If you have already signed up with NOAA's NSAR, check the expiration date on your certificate.  You are good until then.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:46:26 PM by njdiver »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-