Author Topic: NC Reopens Trawl Fishery...Claims only a Few Stripers Killed  (Read 4367 times)

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
NC Reopens Trawl Fishery...Claims only a Few Stripers Killed
« on: February 13, 2011, 10:46:22 AM »
Got this link from another site...think somebody must be getting a few kickbacks or are puffing on a crack pipe

http://www.epicblitz.com/2011/02/insanity-north-carolina-division-of-marine-fisheries-decides-to-reopen-trawl-fishery.html

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: NC Reopens Trawl Fishery...Claims only a Few Stripers Killed
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:08:48 AM »
 nosmly rgmn

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 11:47:41 AM »
Dr. L.Daniels (Director) also stated that the photos were bogus! :headscra: WHAT! are you kidding me! >:( Once again greed has prevailed >:(
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:48:16 AM by Tacklebox Joe »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 02:27:08 PM »
Dr. L.Daniels (Director) also stated that the photos were bogus! :headscra: WHAT! are you kidding me! >:( Once again greed has prevailed >:(

Next thing you know, the Dr will claim that the stripers in the pic were members of the actors guild hired by the recs to play dead for the photo.  nosmly
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 02:59:35 PM »
 nts rgmn
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:41:03 PM »
 nosmly Very sad and sickening

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 02:20:38 PM »
IMHO I think the RECs are really missing on this one. Most sites I have read rec fisherman are claiming that the "draggers" are going to wipe out the total bass population. They are calling for an end to commercal fishing. The truth is they are only landing a tiny fraction of what we as rec fisherman land. Again IMHO the outrage should be directed at the waste and discards. Stop the waste don't stop the fisherman. The commercials have a quota let them land it but make them do it in a way that has minmum discards.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 02:39:40 PM »
I don't think it's the 'wiping out of the stock' by the commercial fishermen that the guys (most anyway) are pissed about but it is the blatant waste of resources that is at issue here.

That is the problem I  have with it.  rgmn rgmn rgmn
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 04:50:58 PM »
I don't think it's the 'wiping out of the stock' by the commercial fishermen that the guys (most anyway) are pissed about but it is the blatant waste of resources that is at issue here.

That is the problem I  have with it.  rgmn rgmn rgmn
I think if most banded together and stayed on message the "waste " part could be taken care of. When most rec responses are just attacks at commercial fishing in general I think our "waste"message gets very diluted. Truth is our rec discard account for many times more dead fish than a handful of isolated incidents by these commercial fisherman. Do we also want to stop that if the stocks are in risk of collapse?
Truth is the stocks are healthy and there is plenty for everybody. Let them have their 10% and let us have our 90% of the total. But yes lets all stand against waste and let one united voice state our outrage. 

Offline lost sailor

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 06:41:31 PM »
The waste is the problem. What a sin. Those fish go through too much in their lifespan to be wasted....
Play Time is Over.

Offline lost sailor

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 06:48:34 PM »
Here is the e-mail IUreceived from Dr. Louis Daniels. He seemed sincere and was, in no way saying there was not an issue. "Something" must have changed his mind.....

Joe,

Just as an FYI.  I am as frustrated as anyone and truly thought the way we handled it would work.  The North Carolina Marine Fisheries Commission – the rulemaking body—will be meeting on Friday next week and these issues will be discussed.  I am very hopeful that some changes can be instituted that will prevent this type of thing from ever happening again.  I am doing my best—

Louis

Play Time is Over.

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 07:21:49 PM »
Here is the e-mail IUreceived from Dr. Louis Daniels. He seemed sincere and was, in no way saying there was not an issue. "Something" must have changed his mind.....

Joe,

Just as an FYI.  I am as frustrated as anyone and truly thought the way we handled it would work.  The North Carolina Marine Fisheries Commission – the rulemaking body—will be meeting on Friday next week and these issues will be discussed.  I am very hopeful that some changes can be instituted that will prevent this type of thing from ever happening again.  I am doing my best—

Louis

They could choose to solve the waste issue with very little negative impact to the fisherman or the fishery. There is only a small handful of permit holders. They could require on board observers and very high daily catch quotas. Permit holders would be notified prior to reaching 80% of quota to use caution on tows.
Sounds simple and sounds like it would work and make most happy.A least that is what I thought. All you have to do is follow whats going on in NY and the DEC to see that nothing is easy when it comes to fishery management.

Offline Fireman Ed

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 08:02:24 PM »
Thats so F up there goes the spring run...
IBSP #4333-1 Gray Ford F-150. Go Big or Go home empty handed!!

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 08:30:12 PM »
Thats so F up there goes the spring run...
Yep thats it they killed them all and there will be no fish for anybody this spring. NOT
Excuse the sarcasm. It is a waste of fish and that should not happen but the numbers are really insignificant to the whole biomass. It is not uncommon for a charter boat to land 3 to 4 tons of bass over the course of our spring season. Plenty more pounds of bass are killed off of Sandy Hook on any given June day when the bunker schools show. They spring fishery will be fine as long as the bait shows and the water temps are to the fishes liking.
I suggest being outrage at the waste and the chance that that waste can occur again.   

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 11:55:10 PM »
Isn't the WASTE that everyone is pissed about? Isn't the disregard to rules and regulations that has everyone pissed? Isn't it the unethical way of "doing business" that has everyone pissed? It is for me and should be the focus here. Saying stop the commerical fisherman from earning a living is not the way to go about it. It is the blatant disregard to rules and regulations and unethical practices that must be stopped. Not by just the comm guys but the recs guys too. Studies, dating back from the late 1990's, have shown that the biomass is depleting. 

In addition to the above there's another problem, Chesapeake bay has mycobacteriosis. Studies are now showing this disease having a significant adverse impact on the stock.

These fish do not belong to me, them or you. They belong to generations. Kids that got their first fishing rod this past Christmas may not know the power of this great fish. Unless we as a group take a stand and do something. NOW!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:19:22 AM by Tacklebox Joe »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-