Author Topic: Flukin pole recommendations  (Read 5427 times)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Flukin pole recommendations
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 08:11:08 PM »
I did that once (no backer on the spool) without thinking when I put new braid on a reel.  I took it out fishing, got a fish and tried to crank it in.  The handle was turning but the line wasn't coming in.  Of course, I tightened up the drag, still no line coming in.  I took a closer look as I was cranking and saw the spool was turning but the line was just sitting still.  That's when it dawned on me that I didn't put backer on the spool.  After handlining the fish in I had to take all the line off and respool, this time with backer.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 05:05:24 PM »
Why is mono line so bad for bottom fishing ?

fish On
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 06:07:17 PM »
Mostly because of the stretch. 
With braid there is no stretch.  You will feel every little thing that you bump against with the line.  The sensitivity is unbelievable.  After you use braid, mono will feel like you are fishing with a rubber band.

Hook-set is also better with braid because of the no stretch.

Braided line is much more thinner than mono of the same breaking strength.  Therefore, you will use much less weight to keep it on the bottom.  Also because of the thinness, you can fit much more on your spool, if needed.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 11:11:08 PM »
So am I getting this right-braid is stronger than mono but thinner? OK, say I'm loaded with 180 yds of 15#. What would I be looking at with 20# braid? What can I be looking to pay for this?
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 11:16:19 PM »
30 lb braid  is near the same size as about 12lb mono.  If you take the spool to have it filled, they will start it off with mono, then attach about 150 yards of braid to fill it. From what I understand you need to start with mono for 2 reasons.
1) braid will slip if attached directly to the hub.
2)  If you tried to fill the whole spool with braid it would be a waste of $.

Your probably looking at about 20$ to have 150 yards of 30# put on.

A must IMO..  a difference of night and day TT^

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 11:20:39 PM »
I saw where snags or tangles could be a problem. Is there a trick to it or is it just a pain in the keister?
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 11:34:11 PM »
This is my second year with it.  and I haven't had any of those problems

Offline wingshooter

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 11:42:51 PM »
braid is thinner than mono

20 pound braid equals thickness of 8-10 pound mono
30 pound braid equals thickness of 10-12 pound mono

you HAVE to put a mono backing on the spool before you put the braid...if you dont do this step when  you hook into a big fish you wont be able to reel it in as the line will just slip on the spool

braid has no stretch making it easier to pull hooks out of fishes mouth if you set the hook too early and too hard

braid will allow you to feel  every bump on the sea floor, making you think youre getting hits, after a whille you get used to it and learn to tell the difference

for braid not all the knots you use will work, most will just slip out,
easy knot recomended for braid,

make a loop pass loop thru hole on  snap swivel make a overhand square knot, pass rest of swivel thru loop of knot, now the important part, lick or wet the line to reduce heat from friction and pull tight
Sounds hard but once you get showed youll see its actually easy to do

last braid tangles can be a b!tch to work with,heres a hint... a small can of wd-40 in your tackle box can be helpfull a light squirt on the tangle area should make it easier to undo the tangle

after one or 2 seasons depending on how much you use it, you can reverse the line. just take an empty spool or another reel and put backing on that one and then transfer the braid to the other reel. I do this specially on fluke reels cause i'm usually just using the first 50 yards of line nothing wrong with the last 100 yards so by doing this you just got a reel with basicaly fresh braid to use another season, this is good cause braid aint cheap

hope this helps

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-