Author Topic: Party boats in Wildwood?  (Read 5552 times)

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
Party boats in Wildwood?
« on: July 27, 2007, 08:30:56 PM »
I'm going on vacation to Wildwood next week and would like to my boy out on a boat fishing. Dosen't seem like many of you are that far down, but I thought you might be able to help. Thanx in advance!
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Party boats in Wildwood?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 08:58:16 PM »
Send  a Pm to Capt Craig..  he's our southern goto Man ;D

Yes.  we really need help down there.  I may have to take a road trip..

Offline vespo

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 09:00:54 PM »
I was down there on vacation mid-june and I must have been getting on my wife's nerves because she tracked down some of the local party boats and sent me out looking for fluke one morning.

The boat I went out on was the Royal Flush (google for Royal Flush Fishing and you'll find their website). They do 3 4 hour trips a day, and if I remember correctly, they give you a discount if you go out on the morning trip and stay for the afternoon or night trip.

They sail at 4pm, 1pm and run night trips at 7pm. They're right at the base of the Rio Grand Ave bridge, which is one of the main routes into wildwood so it's easy to find.

I didn't bag any Fluke, but I seemed to find every small shark and skate between cape may point and wildwood... fun fighting them even if it didn't put a fillet or two on the dinner table. I saw ads for a few other party boats, that's the one that happened to be closest to the hotel. Most of the small hotels in the main part of town will have brochures and such, and if you ask nice, the receptionist at the convention center will probably help you find just about anything that exists in the town.
Vinny Esposito
---------------------
When your boss tells you to skip work to go fishing, it's time to shut up and fish!

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 09:31:52 PM »
Right around mid June I think EVERYBODY (but me) was catching skates and sharks. Thanks for the tip. I think the boy will be happy to catch anything and he would be happier with a shark - he's 9!

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 09:36:47 PM »
I had a friend's grandson on my boat a few weeks back.  I purposely went to a spot where I knew we would catch dog shark just to put him into one.  He's 10 and thought that was the greatest thing in the world, catching a shark!  It does not take much to make a kid happy, and that definately put a smile on my face too.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Far26

• It's all about the Tiderunners!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 11:47:57 PM »
There are a lot of fishing choices close to Wildwood. You can rent your own boat and fish/crab in the backwaters or you can jump on one of the many party or charter boats.

As mentioned the Royal Flush is a good boat and runs three 4-hour trips a day leaving at 8 AM, 1 PM and at 7 PM.

If you take a 5 to 10-minute ride to the south the Garden State Parkway will dump you right into the marina district in Cape May. There are lots of boats sailing everyday, but I've had some great experiences on the Miss Chris and the Porgy IV. Both of these boats are 8-hour trips and they are usually sailing for summer flounder. I've never come home without at least a few fish on those boats.

To the north you have the Miss Avalon and Captain Robbins. The Miss Avalon sails on two  4-hour trips daily at 8 AM and again at 1 PM. You can expect to fish right out front and catch croakers, fluke, bluefish, or weakfish.
The Sea Isle City-based Captain Robbins specializes in sea bass and Captain Mike usually makes a good run out to the deep-water wrecks. Daily 8-hour trips leave at 8 AM.

You can catch sharks and skate on all the boats.  ;D

I have been on most of the local boats and I am in touch with many of them on a weekly basis. I'm sure you guys will have a great time with whatever you decide.

Good luck!

So many fish, so little time.
Frank Ruczynski
NJAngler@Comcast.net

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 04:40:15 AM »
Try the Porgy IV. By far the newest Party boat down there when I last loked into it a year ago (the whole south jersey fleet is SLOOOOW and old).

The Porgy IV is the Old Gambler. gets to grounds much faster then the others.

That being said, Fishinfool and I decided to hit Nobones bait and tackle and rent a 16 Carolina Skiff CC for the day (or half the day) and putted around (9hp motor) in the backwaters area.
I managed a couple dozen croaker and a keeper fluke -all on gulp shrimp Pops Soul :)(and was told I did better then most that day)

Fishinfool just chilled and got some sun.

This is what led her to decide she wouldn't mind us getting out own boat  TT^

Offline Duffman

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 06:57:49 AM »
Theres the Starlight fleet on Park Ave in Wildwood Crest as well.  Check inthe lobby of the hotel your staying at for the boat advertisements. Most, if not all, have discount coupons inthem to save you a few bucks.
   If you decide on the Porgy IV in Cape May, be sure to hit Lucky Bones Grill across the street after your trip.  Killer gourmet pizza and the best Guinness on tap I've ever had   TT^

Offline vespo

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 07:14:10 AM »
I have to admit that the dog sharks I got into it with when I was down in Wildwood were a lot of fun to fight, even as an adult  ;D

I had a friend's grandson on my boat a few weeks back.  I purposely went to a spot where I knew we would catch dog shark just to put him into one.  He's 10 and thought that was the greatest thing in the world, catching a shark!  It does not take much to make a kid happy, and that definately put a smile on my face too.   t^
Vinny Esposito
---------------------
When your boss tells you to skip work to go fishing, it's time to shut up and fish!

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 09:59:40 AM »
Try the Porgy IV. By far the newest Party boat down there when I last loked into it a year ago (the whole south jersey fleet is SLOOOOW and old).

The Porgy IV is the Old Gambler. gets to grounds much faster then the others.

That being said, Fishinfool and I decided to hit Nobones bait and tackle and rent a 16 Carolina Skiff CC for the day (or half the day) and putted around (9hp motor) in the backwaters area.
I managed a couple dozen croaker and a keeper fluke -all on gulp shrimp Pops Soul :)(and was told I did better then most that day)

Fishinfool just chilled and got some sun.

This is what led her to decide she wouldn't mind us getting out own boat  TT^

Say I rent a boat, would I have to have a license? I want to take the safety course so I could use my boss's Boston Whaler, but I haven't had time yet.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 10:58:04 AM »
That is a good ??? and I do not know the answer.

I know if it were me, what I would do for 1 day :)

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 11:16:19 AM »
Hi Gregman1069,

Anyone born in 1959 or later must complete a boater's safety course (or test out) and must possess a NJ Boating Safety Certificate to operate a boat or personal watercraft in NJ as of June 1, 2007.

For completeness, folks born in 1949 or later must possess a certificate by June 1, 2008 and ALL PERSONS must complete a boating safety course (or test out) and possess a certificate by June 1, 2009.

It was fazed in by your date of birth.

Basically, you cannot rent a boat powerboat or personal watercraft without conforming to the criteria.

Good luck,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 11:19:22 AM by Capt. Ed »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 11:58:24 AM »
I'm wondering is the rental place has a legal responsibility to check that?

Could it be, Sure you can rent a boat. but it's your responsibility to have the Cert?

This would be one I bet Sealife could answer.

I was in a position a few weeks ago watching a boat get rented and all I heard was..

"All I need is the Dl of the person operating the boat"

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 12:07:18 PM »
Hi Rod,

They will not rent to you a powerboat or personal watercraft without it.

They do have a legal and insurance responsibilty.

It is much like a rental car company not being able to rent a car to you unless you have a driver's license.

Now if someone has fradulent paperwork, that is a different story.

Ed

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 12:20:27 PM »
Makes sense.  But I'll bet a lot of them over look it in Lu of losing a client.

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 01:53:50 PM »
Thanks for the input on this one. Guess I'll just look into getting the cert. Is this something that has to be renewed every year or is it a once and done thing? Does it carry over from state to state (ie NJ and PA)?

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 06:06:44 PM »
The cert course I took gave me a cert good in all 50 states and most of Europe I believe.

Really was rediciulously easy.

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 08:05:26 PM »
I've heard it's all common sense type stuff. Kids would think ol dad was pretty cool runnin em around in a boat. Still I don't have time before next week but I guess I'll get it soon.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 09:11:07 PM »
Thanks for the input on this one. Guess I'll just look into getting the cert. Is this something that has to be renewed every year or is it a once and done thing? Does it carry over from state to state (ie NJ and PA)?

As of now, it's one and done.  I don't know if other state accept NJ cert or not.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Ruger314

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 10:43:58 PM »
the course is just another way to gain revenue!!!..

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-