2 (8.3%)
Oct 27
1 (4.2%)
Any day is fine with me
6 (25%)
Any day is fine with me
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: NJSWF 2012 Offshore Tuna Trip Oct 5 – 6  (Read 143252 times)

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: NJSWF 2012 Offshore Tuna Trip Oct 5 – 6
« Reply #360 on: September 10, 2012, 07:29:25 AM »
 t^

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #361 on: September 10, 2012, 11:03:35 AM »
Reprot from the Sea Devil.....

The Sea Devil from Point Pleasant reported the same thing Sunday, with limits of blues over 10 pounds on both jigs and bait. Capt. Bob Pennington ran the Sea Devil to Hudson Canyon Friday to fish into Saturday in 580 feet of 77 degree waters. Joe Abraimo (17) fought a tuna for two hours before a 225-pound bigeye was boated. Jigging didn't work, but bait provided a pick of yellowfin tuna in the 40-to-60-pound class until a single albacore was the last tuna caught in the morning. Pennington sails to the canyon again Thursday night
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:27:01 PM by Kenny »

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #362 on: September 10, 2012, 11:15:30 AM »
Yes.. Jigging will only be preferred to those that like to do it.. Much easier watching bait ;D  Now Bob.. he will be on the bow Jigging and popping his ass off ;D

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #363 on: September 10, 2012, 11:18:51 AM »
Yes.. Jigging will only be preferred to those that like to do it.. Much easier watching bait ;D  Now Bob.. he will be on the bow Jigging and popping his ass off ;D

Will it be worth bringing the Shimano Trevella w/Cannyon HS15 for any Mahi? It is spooled with 50# braid... Or just stick what they give me?

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #364 on: September 10, 2012, 12:47:50 PM »
Yea.. I would.. When they chunk. sometimes the Mahi will crowd the boat. 

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #365 on: September 10, 2012, 12:52:54 PM »
Just got off the phone with Cindy of the Sea Devil.

I spoke to her about bringing Spinning rods for casting for mahi-mahi and could we use braid on the rods.
The answer was yes we can.  t^

So my next question I have for you guys is what’s your thoughts on using a Trevala 66m spinning rod with a bait runner 3500 for the mahi?

combo will work fine.

Just personal preference on the mahi setups....I prefer mono.  As the guys who have done this before know, pulling up on a marker buoy for mahi can be chaotic (organized chaos I should say).   20 guys casting to a pot, then hooking up gets a little nuts. Line always cross and I'd rather be able to cut and retie in seconds rather than deal with braid.  Just my.02

Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #366 on: September 10, 2012, 07:22:44 PM »

A couple of trips I was on years ago...the mahi hid right under the boat at times making them easy targets t^....caught a 25 pounder right as the rope came tight on one trip....first butter fish that hit the water t^

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:23:29 PM by Kenny »

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #367 on: September 10, 2012, 07:46:55 PM »

A couple of trips I was on years ago...the mahi hid right under the boat at times making them easy targets t^....caught a 25 pounder right as the rope came tight on one trip....first butter fish that hit the water t^

Nice. I lost some of my braid on the last trip. Maybe I'll strip it and re-spool with mono for this trip.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #368 on: September 11, 2012, 07:58:23 AM »
Guys

We are getting closer to the tuna trip.

If you are not paid in full please plan on having your final payment to me no later then September 15th. So I have time to get the payment to the Captain.

I will be taking a lot of days off and will not have much access to the internet in September due to fishing trips and will not be able to remind you.

Thanks

Just a reminder.....

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #369 on: September 11, 2012, 09:50:31 AM »
Will go out today Rick t^

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #370 on: September 11, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »
 t^ thanks
Don't forget the stamp.  rofla

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #371 on: September 11, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »

(A 23-hour day aboard the Sea Devil, tuna fishing)
The Sea Devil sails for tuna fish, not only for the thrill and excitement of the catch, but for the adventure of sailing from ninety to one hundred ten miles offshore! When that big tuna fish is hooked, it fights like few other species of fish. The challenge and excitement of getting that fish on the boat, once it is hooked, is an experience that one does not want to miss.

NJ Tuna fishing is more exciting than New Jersey blue fishing because while blue fish may weigh up to fifteen pounds, the tuna will weigh from twenty-five pounds to over one hundred pounds! Most of the fish we catch weigh from fifty to eighty-five pounds. On occasion we have seen anglers land swordfish that weigh from sixty pounds, up to two hundred fifty pounds! Often times we catch mahi-mahi that weigh up to twenty pounds.

A typical offshore excursion aboard the Sea Devil begins before we leave the dock, after you have put your belongings on the boat and Captain Bob calls all passengers onto the dock so he can review procedures with you and also to explain how fishing has been on the most recent trips.(View Offshore Fishing procedures).

Once Bob is finished reviewing procedures, he will call you out, in the order in which we received payment from you, to board the boat and pick out your bunk. At that time Cindy collects for any rental rods fees that have not been paid. By 5 p.m. the Sea Devil sets sail.

Let the crew be aware if it is your first time sailing offshore. Even if you fished for tuna in the past, the crew will check the drag on all lines. (A drag too tight may snap and you lose the fish.) A crew member will explain and demonstrate for each new angler, how to use the rod to successfully catch tuna. Listen carefully and ask him to repeat anything you are not sure of. Follow his instructions and when you hook into that big tuna and you will be ensured more success in getting that fish on the boat. (Learn how to catch a Tuna Fish) One does not have to be strong to catch a tuna; It is all in the technique.

Once all rods have been examined, many anglers will use this time traveling to the canyon, to eat and get some sleep. It could be up to six hours before the boat will reach it’s destination at the Hudson Canyon, or further south. A good sleep should leave you refreshed and alert. Once the anchor is set fishing begins! This could be as early as 11:30 p.m. Once the anchor is set it is time to wake up and begin to fish! For best success you will fish right through the evening and through daybreak.

On a clear night, some passengers forgo their bunk below and bring the sleeping bag to the upper deck to sleep under the stars! It is amazing how many more stars can be seen sailing offshore with no man made lights or buildings to block the vision. The Milky Way and many constellations are easily seen.

On the best of days, tuna and swordfish or mahi-mahi is caught almost immediately and a steady pick continues through the night until day break. On these great days, some anglers may land three yellow fin tuna by 2 a.m. and stop to rest. The tuna fish may entertain you by jumping and doing vertical dives five to six feet off the water! One customer described such a trip as "like something out of National Geographic." Others declared it was worth making the trip simply to see this show and catching the fish was secondary. Sometimes large schools of porpoises will swim alongside the boat. At other times, we may spot smaller schools of porpoises playing, jumping and diving in the distance, when we are anchored up.

Once your fish is on the boat, it is tagged, bled and kept below deck in an iced fish hold. This frees up space on the deck for more comfortable fishing. The boat has been known to leave early on some of these fantastic days of tuna fishing, simply because we had caught the legal limit. We will take a leisurely ride back to dock and weather permitting, many anglers will choose to rest on the upper deck and soak in some rays for the six hour ride home.

On the not so nice days, the weather may be overcast or a bit breezy. On these trips we suggest you rest up on the ride out to reserve energy for the fishing that will soon begin. If it is cloudy or raining, the cabin is a comfortable place for eating and to rest if you do not like the motion in the bunk room.

When we arrive and set the anchor we begin to fish. Since it is fishing we promise and not catching, we see some great days and other not so great days. We can promise that our professional crew will always work with you to hook up with and land those tuna fish, swordfish, mahi-mahi and many other fish we sometimes find. Our goal is to make this a safe and memorable trip for all.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:18:53 AM by Still Running »

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #372 on: September 11, 2012, 10:18:36 AM »
Procedures for Tuna Fishing

The captain and crew aboard the Sea Devil maintain the highest safety standards and professionalism, in an effort to provide the best possible fishing adventure for all passengers. We go above and beyond U.S. Coast Guard requirements. Our goal is to provide an enjoyable trip so that you when you leave, the captain hears, "I am impressed with the boat and the entire operation; I had a great time, and I’m looking forward to returning with more friends!"

We are an 85 foot boat with 18 bunks and only carry up to 18 customers when we travel offshore. We will carry two to four crew members at all times. You will never feel overcrowded aboard the Sea Devil. If you are a first time offshore adventurer with us, it is important to know the following when you arrive at our dock.

When the boat is docked and your cars are properly parked in the lot, you are free to put your rods aboard. Only one rod at the rail at any time; extra rods may be placed above or forward in the rod holder. (This means we should never count more than 18 rods at the rail since we carry a maximum of 18 passengers.)

Once the boat is cleaned and the captain or crew gives permission, you may bring all your remaining belongings on board. Any large empty coolers may be left in your vehicle since we tag and bleed the fish immediately and store them in the iced fish holds below deck.

Approximately one half hour before departure, Bob will ask all passengers to gather on the dock and review what many refer to as the "riot act", which is basically a review of dos and don’ts aboard the vessel. Essentially, the following applies:
•Red lights in bunk stay on - Coast Guard Regulation. These lights allow you to move around and find the ladder to leave the bunk room whenever you want to do so.
•Smoking is allowed only on deck outside of the cabin and heads, on the lower or upper deck. Do not grind butts into the deck. Do not flush butts in the toilet.
•Coolers, tackle boxes and any hard plastic items are to be placed on the deck or under tables, or outside the cabin under the benches. The cushions are easily torn when these items are placed on them and are costly to repair. Do not place these items on the cushions.
•The microwave oven must be used properly by covering or wrapping food with paper towels, which we provide for you. Please clean up any spills. We pride ourselves on cleanliness. Remember liquids will spill when the boat is rolling. Please bring a thermos for coffee and the like and do not expect to heat liquids in the microwave when winds are strong.
•Please notice there is a recycling container in the cabin and a garbage can for all other waste in the cabin and another one on the outer deck. Please use them appropriately.
•Salt water is used to flush the heads. There is an unlimited supply. Please flush for as long as needed to empty the toilet. The pump will endure. If uncertain, keep flushing.
•There is a Limited supply of fresh water, from the faucets. Please use this water conservatively. Be certain the faucets are not jammed and running unnecessarily. If we run out of fresh water, we can not replenish until we are back at the dock.
•Bedding ONLY is allowed in the very dry, comfortable bunk room. This is a wooden boat with cloth covered cushions on each bunk. For everyone’s comfort, all personal belongings, tackle boxes, food, etc. remains above in the cabin. The bunk room is for sleeping only. Please leave any wet clothes and foul weather gear above in the cabin, including socks, boots and footwear. This is mandatory to maintain comfort for all.
•Should you feel ill, do not use the bunk room or stay in the cabin. Do not lock yourself in the head; do not vomit in the trash can, get sick over the side. This can only aid the chum slick and maintain comfort aboard the boat for all.
•Captain Bob Pennington has a reputation for maintaining the cleanest head boat on the east coast and takes great pride in this fact. Please cooperate by disposing of chewing gum and garbage appropriately.

Boat sails at 5, please make sure you are there atleast by 4:30

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #373 on: September 11, 2012, 10:37:06 AM »
Just a note for you guys on this trip

IF RIGGING YOUR OWN BUTTERFISH ON THE TRIP--CUT THE TAIL OFF TO STOP IT FROM SPINNING ON THE WAY OUT/DOWN   t^ t^

GOOD LUCK AND STAY SAFE

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #374 on: September 11, 2012, 10:39:29 AM »
"Please flush for as long as needed to empty the toilet. The pump will endure. If uncertain, keep flushing."

Very important tip there guys. t^ ;D

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #375 on: September 11, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »
Yes.. Jigging will only be preferred to those that like to do it.. Much easier watching bait ;D  Now Bob.. he will be on the bow Jigging and popping his ass off ;D

I will be trying to get one on the jig.  clp  But, I am also bringing some chunking stuff as well.  Although I haven't chunked for tuna, I have for stripers and bluefish.  And I definitely think there is skill involved in chunking.  Those who do it right (right leaders, right size bait, hooked correctly, etc.) almost always catch more than others.

I have some 6/0 and 7/0 Gamakatsu 4X circle hooks and some 60 and 80 lb fluorocarbon.  I just need to get some heavy duty Spro swivels and I'll tie up about a dozen rigs for this trip.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:36:44 AM by Bucktail »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #376 on: September 11, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »

IF RIGGING YOUR OWN BUTTERFISH ON THE TRIP--CUT THE TAIL OFF TO STOP IT FROM SPINNING ON THE WAY OUT/DOWN   t^ t^

GOOD LUCK AND STAY SAFE

Thanks for the tip. t^  Do you try to hide the hook?  In through the mouth and out the gill thing?

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #377 on: September 11, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »
I have a couple of squid jigs I'm bringing as well.  What size Sabiki rigs should I have?  Colors?

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #378 on: September 11, 2012, 12:05:06 PM »

GOOD LUCK AND STAY SAFE

Thanks for the tip. t^  Do you try to hide the hook?  In through the mouth and out the gill thing?

I like the mousetrp rig-10-11 hook -push hook in from the back center from tail fork and completely hide it and wrap the gills and mouth closed--I do this when have time and butterfish on hand before I go--takes too much time on a PB--Mouth gills is fine though-and use fine copper wire to hold the hook straight which holds the gills and mouth closed--If you understand that--wrap from hook tip towards mouth.

Good luck Bob

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #379 on: September 11, 2012, 12:07:38 PM »
I have a couple of squid jigs I'm bringing as well.  What size Sabiki rigs should I have?  Colors?

Why sabiki--Squidin ?

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-