Author Topic: 8/11 & 8/12 Target: Fluke. Kellie + Hi-lo rig = Robins. Thoughts?  (Read 2578 times)

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
Soon as I hook up a kellie, hi or low side of rig didn't matter, instant sea robin. Mostly Green side of SH channel, moved around a bit, both Sat & Sun.,seemed like about 1-2kt drift, 6oz seemed to be holding. Squid strips producing mostly shorts and an occasional robin. Quick drop, bouncy bouncy, etc. I know it's not called Catching, but sure could use some ideas....

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
Re: 8/11 & 8/12 Target: Fluke. Kellie + Hi-lo rig = Robins. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:14:49 PM »
That's pretty much all I was doing in that area on Sunday as well. Wasn't you.

Birds seem to hae infested the area and the Fluke just weren't there this weekend for most part.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 02:16:24 PM »
Hi wb,

Let's focus on the positive ...

1. You are catching, not just the size you would like or sometimes you get sea robins.

2. You are fishing an area known to produce.

3. Your equipment and rigs work as you are catching fish.

4. Killies are known to catch.

There are any number of things to help. Hopefully some folks will weigh in that fish the SH Channel more than I.

1. Try different bait. Squid/sand eels and some will tell you gulp may improve your catch size.

2. Rig selection ... are the sea robins hitting the high hook? If so, try a fishfinder rig.

3. Rig selection (alternative) - try bouncing a bucktail tipped with a killie, squid or gulp.

4. Tides - is this happening on one particular tide? Be aware of the interaction of tide and catching.

5. Try a different area - the fishing pressure may be too great in the area you are fishing.

6. Trends - when you fished, was there a recent storm. If so, it will put the bite off as the fresh water runoff will slow fishing for a few days.

These are some of the things I would examine. I may also look at whether I am fishing the flats, droppoffs or middle of the channel (this time of year I would consider the dropoffs and middle of channles as the water is cooler).

Without fishing with you, I cannot evaluate technique, but bouncing, slow up and down with pauses and just dragging the bait work at different times.

Good luck,

Capt. Ed

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 02:21:41 PM »
Almost instant feedback; thanks. You guys (& gals) are the BEST!!! Good point on the technique-- prolly could use some pointers on that as well.

Warren

Offline Flukedood

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 02:42:40 PM »
Wb, How deep were you fishing??

I Find sometimes the the birds are thicker the more shallow you go this time of year..
I spend 90% of my time fishing, The rest I just waste..

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 02:57:56 PM »
We did drift some spots where it came up to 15 ft or so-- that usually signals me it's time for a new drift. Trying to stay on/near the dropoffs, 25-50ft of water seems most productive. However lately my definition of productive has changed for the worst...

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 03:02:49 PM »
Try to stay on the deep end of the drift.  I wasn't successful the other day where you were fishing, so I moved, and scored..  Keep search, they are there, when you find them, mark them and continue drifting the same spot.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 03:07:46 PM »
I was catching birds in 65' of Water in SH channel on Sunday. They were all over the area.

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 03:08:14 PM »
you are to shallow if you are around that area and in under 25-27 ft you are wasting your time and bait this time of year ,also make sure your bait is in the strike zone or you are in bird land

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-