Author Topic: What Are Your Thoughts On The Spring Bass Fishing  (Read 4807 times)

Offline kayak1

• only at night
What Are Your Thoughts On The Spring Bass Fishing
« on: June 29, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »
This was the worst year I have ever had with the Bass in the ocean...... I know some of the local kayak guys did some fish a mile from the beach.....Not at all like in years past. nosmly

I hope the fall run in the back bay is better..........

I would like to know how some of you feel about this spring.

Kayak-1
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:27:55 AM by Hotrod »
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline Moosegate

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On The Sping Bass Fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 08:21:24 PM »
I didn't do any ocean yakking this spring but I put in an awful lot of early season time in the back and didn't have anything to show for it really. I know there were fish around just seemed like I zigged when I should have zagged.

I did hit the surf a lot with bait and did well in a few trips mostly in May. Overall for the amount of time I put in I didn't have a great spring.

With the ridiculous amount and variety of bait in the bay(peanuts,pinfish, spots,  soon to be mullet) now, I think mid-september through November will be fantastic in the bay and near the inlets. I can hardly wait for September.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On The Sping Bass Fishing
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 05:52:33 AM »
I'm thinking it really never turned on for us.  Yes there where fish around here and there, but not the mass's we hope for.

The bunker showed, and i had marks on them several times, but never was able to hook up. For me it was zero fish for the spring run.

Last fall run the north had it bad, this year we got it bad for the spring, like a  game of tug-a-war.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline kayak1

• only at night
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On The Spring Bass Fishing
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:23:14 AM »
The back bay is loaded with peanut bunker this year........The last time I seen this much was back in like 2005.

Last week I was at the Lavallette dock and the schools of Peanut Bunker where all over.....Most being chased by small spike Weakfish.

Im thinking we are going back to the days when the sandeels where the prime Bass bait along the surf......... The fall Bass run will be prime time fishing......The large schools of Peanut bunker will pour out the inlets in late October - December.

I look at it this way....From the 1970's to 2005 when the first big bass blitz hit the beach in Asbury Park.....We didnt have a Spring Bass run...... We had to snag our bunker in the bay and keep them alive in the 35 gal tank and run to the jettys to live line them.

But the fall was the time of year we would look foward to fishing the beach..... Why...... Because we had SANDEELS.

I spend more time thinking these days then fishing......Maybe thats my problem.

Have a safe and happy 4th  chrz
Kayak-1

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 10:57:11 AM »
this spring was a big  5hrug for me, even at proven spots t^
Z

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »
Striper fishing was poor for me this spring. I went went without a striper in almost 30 attempts in April,May and June from the surf,river,bay and canal. My only stripers came on boat trips. My surf club, Spring Lake Live Liners won our spring tournament. This is a 6 week tournament where clubs compete for bragging rights/trophies. Weigh-ins were way off this year, especially from the surf/ocean. Not many of the blitzes that the last few years produced. The cell phone gang pretty much was shut out. The canal produced some fish early in April and the beginning of May. While there was action there was nothing consistant. I'll admit I stay local most of the time and rarely fish bait except for snag/drop bunker. Most recent years this has been productive fishing this way. Lots of small blues have filled the gap ,providing action but to get a bass all that was needed was to get on a boat. Let's hope for a better fall run  ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:50:28 AM by Noworries2009 »

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:41:11 PM »
WOW.....The Spring Lake Live Liners I was in that club back in the late 80's. Then Shark River and after that Berkley....

That's when jetty fishing was big..... I spent many nights with rigged eel's on those jetty fronts in Spring Lake.

I'm just going to stay with the Yak....

Kayak-1

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »
Ive always done great clamming the Stripers in the Raritan bay in April in shallow water from my boat. This year was awful. :P
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »
WOW.....The Spring Lake Live Liners I was in that club back in the late 80's. Then Shark River and after that Berkley....

That's when jetty fishing was big..... I spent many nights with rigged eel's on those jetty fronts in Spring Lake.

Kayak-1

Some of the crew still around and fishing but quite a few have put the rods away or have passed. Yeah I remember the 80's when a big bass was 20lbs.A 30 made news !!!! Now all the little kids fishing with their Dads have hit 30-40lb bass in the middle of the afternoon on the family boat. I fish a kayak too but usually just inside  during the daytime for fluke.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:58:53 PM by Kenny »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »

Kayak-1

Some of the crew still around and fishing but quite a few have put the rods away or have passed. Yeah I remember the 80's when a big bass was 20lbs.A 30 made news !!!! Now all the little kids fishing with their Dads have hit 30-40lb bass in the middle of the afternoon on the family boat. I fish a kayak too but usually just inside  during the daytime for fluke.

I remember (and I'm sure you do as well) catching stripers from the beach that were close to 20 lbs and having to throw them back, because they were shorts! fcp

;D

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 11:12:45 AM »
I think the size limit was 34 or 36 in. back then or was it 32"

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 12:13:52 PM »
36"

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-