Author Topic: Young kids and sea sickness  (Read 4861 times)

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
Young kids and sea sickness
« on: July 01, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »
Was reading Bucktails recent post about taking his Daughter fishing this week for her first saltwater trip...I too want to get my 8 year old Son out for his first saltwater trip this Summer and have the following question...

As far as preventing sea sickness...what can we do for the young kids especially for a first trip? 

Can kids take Dramamine or Bonine at a young age?

Are there other choices out there for young kids?

I'm sure their are many Dad's out there that have had to deal with this and was curious what I can do..

I don't want my Son's first experience to be a bad one...

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Young kids and sea sickness
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 04:57:01 PM »
They didn't have that stuff when I was growing up,,  I would throw them on and not say a word about getting sick t^  I would tho..  do it on a boat that you have the ability to come right back in on.. Like the PA..

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 05:02:48 PM »
I might have to charter the PA  ;D

I was thinking a 1/2 day Fluke boat 8:00 to 2:30 on a super flat day just to get his feet wet..

I see they have kids Bonine...Not sure how good that works....I agree with not saying anything about getting sick to the kid....why get him nervous...

Just want to be prepared...don't want the first trip to be the last ya know...

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 05:48:47 PM »
Don't say a word about it. Otherwise they could think about it the whole time and work up a sickness.

If its possible with out them knowing why, an allergy medicine is supposed to work wonders, non drowsy version of course.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 05:58:43 PM »
Yea.  I would stick to the bay.  maybe I can get You and Bobs Daughter out for a bay trip..  Or just take him Sat.. for tuna ;D

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 06:13:09 PM »
maybe I can get You and Bobs Daughter out for a bay trip.. 
t^

Or just take him Sat.. for tuna ;D
  thud

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 06:25:36 PM »
Short bay trip with a friend who will turn back is the best option to test the waters for sure. t^

Best to keep him active and alert as to the sites to see out on the water and keep him from the smell of diesel or gas fumes.

I am sure he'll be fine Kenny.  chrz chrz
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »
Kenny,

The first party boat I took my daughter on was this one when she was five. LBI Party Boat They run a three hour bay trip for fluke out of Barnegat Light.  It's a short ride to the fishing, and three hours is just about the perfect amount of time.   t^

I forget the captain's name, but he's a school teacher and runs the boat (with his wife and kids as mates) from the end of June through Labor Day.

I didn't know the Phyllis Ann was available for kid's parties. :headscra: ;D

Offline JeffL

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 07:14:15 PM »
My grandfather took me when i was real young.. When i started to feel sick he told me to look around at the other boats/shore line and not into the water.. Which helped.. Hell i still have to use that method on a rough day  fcp
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »
good topic

I too hope to be in that position soon x2

we have the luxury of stayin' close and turnin' around posthaste if need be.

Hopefully not necessary

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 10:57:52 PM »
Good luck!  Eventually one day, I would like to get my boys on a boat too.  I'm going to be the one needing the meds fcp ;D.  Does your son get motion sickness easily?  If not, like the others said, just give it a try.  You won't know any other way.  If you need to medicate, I would always check with your pediatrician.

TT^

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 10:21:42 AM »
  I'm up in port monmouth and would take you and your son on a bay trip fluking, I'm off sunday to wednsday. pick a day and time and I can help out.
Paul cell 908-415-9542

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »
Good replies guys...thanks  t^  Keep em coming..

Thanks for that offer Hiking...might have to take you up on that chrz chrz

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 10:57:58 AM »
wts those wrist bands supposedly work too.
Z

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 11:48:40 AM »
My Pop started taking me on the party boats when I was 3. Never knew about sea sickness till I was 13 when I seen an older person get seasick. I think alot of times just the heat alone get people sick. Or with children we tend to get them pumped up about doing something leading up to the time of doing it, the night before they are so excited they don't get a good nights sleep, then they are tired and the body isn't at peek performance. 
Just my  2 cents  thud
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline DJ76

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 05:07:02 PM »
i started my son out 5-6 years old from shore for sunny/bass with worms and live bait.  then at 7 took him out on my little boat for flukin and crabbing.  he absolutely loved it.  but I believe the key is two things...keep the trips short and give them action, any action.  My son is just as happy catching sea robins and skate as he is  fluke.

I have taken my son on party boats before but he isn't that fond of them. I beleive its a few main reasons...one too many people and it gets maybe a little intimidating.  second, its harder to use light tackle on party boats (just my opinion).  i give my son a light or medium ungly stick with a little spinner with 20# pp and he seems to be able to hold it without getting tired as quickly.  even when he hooks into short fluke or tiny robins its a fight for him and thats what he seems to like.

on another note, you would be surprised how "lunch" can change things.  just by packing his favorite drink or snack its almost like an award.  sounds stupid but a little bit seems to go a long way.

another note, the do sell kids dramamine (sp??? fcp).  my wife was able to find some at a chain drugstore.  thankfully my son has never needed it but i have also never really brought it up to him in discussion either. mind over matter...i dunno 5hrug
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:08:59 PM by DJ76 »
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 10:09:04 AM »
I would not worry about it until you see how he handles being on a boat.  My three kids have been on boats all of there lives but unfortunately my middle son became prone to seasickness about age 12.  He would get bored if the fish were not cooperating and against parents advice would go and try to sleep in the cabin and end up sick.  He is 25 now and is still leary about going on any boat for fear of getting sick.  We never tried any medication as he would opt out of boat trips and hang-out in his friend's pool.  When I was young (many years ago) I would go on PBs with my father and occasionally get sea sick.  My mom always packed a few ginger ales and a sleave of saltine crackers which seemed to do the trick.  I still bring gingerale with me today, just in case. 
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline Axehandle

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 11:17:31 AM »
Make sure you bring along some ginger snaps.  They work wonders to settle a stomach.
I FISH therefore I am.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-