Author Topic: Raritan Bay Fluke Help  (Read 5148 times)

Offline realtinman

Raritan Bay Fluke Help
« on: July 04, 2012, 07:57:13 AM »
I am new to the area.  Fluke fishing in the Raritan bay has been less than stellar for me.  I have averaged one keeper per trip.  WHat am I doing wrong? I am willing to listen to any suggestions, are there any secret spots???

I usually use standard fluke rigs with spearing, squid, or killies. 

Offline Capt.Tim

Re: Raritan Bay Fluke Help
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 08:33:35 AM »
The new york side is a good bet right now ,the green side of the reach look for dropoffs and ledges there is alot of them over there ,when you find the fish just keep short drifting it .

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »
  for now until you get to know the area, fish with the party boats, soon you will get to know the area and find your own spots.
Paul cell 908-415-9542

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:43:05 AM »
First Welcome  grtn My Information can be taken or dismissed  5hrug But many years have taught me good. First Its called Fishing, Example you can have 40 guys on a party boat fishing for Fluke and only 10 catch fish,The same goes for any fish, It takes time and asking questions, to learn the proper way, From Bait, Rigs, presentation, As well as location, tides time of day, There is no easy way, but there is a short Cut,  t^ But first a short story, I have Family in Cooper landing Alaska, I fish most of the time locally, no need for the Fly out. there is the same fishing right there and at times better. Many years ago I went with a guide and learned, I do not fish salt water there anymore cost of processing and shipping is beyond any benefits, After just a few guided trips I went on my own, and now teach others when I am up there no charge slt. So my point is read the posts by many of the Charter guys on this forum, along with the photos, they do not lie. If you are serious about learning it will not only save you time but GAS give one of them a try, chrz. PS ask if you can use your gear and have them rig it. Bill

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »
try to fish both sides of the tide, very important in the bay. 10-15ft of water on nj side has been great for me and my dad so far this year.
Z

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:53:44 AM »
I've been flukin RB for many years and if I averaged 1 keeper every trip I'd consider myself pretty good. I can't tell you how many trips the past few years were just throwbacks. (actually I can, but you don't want to see how I count past 20...)  thud

Keep fishing, make some friends here, they can show you a lot. Read all the reports- a wealth of info is posted already and continues to be posted every day. Most of all, have fun and don't get discouraged!

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »
Quick tip, I've been using 4/0 hooks to make it a little more difficult for the shorts to grab on  TT^
Z

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »
Not only big hooks but The bigger the Bait The Bigger the fish  clp

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »
Not only big hooks but The bigger the Bait The Bigger the fish  clp

I used to think so, but my last outing proved otherwise. That also makes a poor statement for teasers.  5hrug
Z

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 06:08:33 PM »
Get out early you wanna be to the grounds before the fleet shows up. Keep in mind it is fishing I fished RB on saturday not even a sniff. Sunday at the same spots with same baits 11 fish 4 keepers. Some days there there somedays there not.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 07:26:08 PM »
As BigAl says.  plus Teasers are meant to attract and they do and they also imitate smaller fish feeding on the bait you presented, I have tied saltwater flies for years and the teasers i make can be 4-6 in long and a lot of flash, I am open to sharing them, if you are in the neighborhood, Pm me. I will be busy next week with them, for some beach Guys, large baits from fresh sardines, smelt up to 10 inches 8 inch snappers, that account for the largest fluke,
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:28:49 PM by overbite »

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 07:41:52 PM »
I go with "Elephants eat peanuts" over the big bait big fish theory.....bucktail with a nice big strip definitely gets their attention, but it is usually the smaller teaser that gets the strike. Im sure there are exceptions to this rule but i think majority would attest to the smaller baits getting the strikes most of the time
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 12:22:18 AM »
9 out of ten fish i pull up are on the teaser very rarely do they eat the spro 5hrug
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Capt. Don Sr

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 09:07:42 AM »
Get yourself a throw net,learn to use it,then check the creek for PEANUT BUNKER   t^  good bait for RB fluke t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-