Author Topic: low voltage beeps  (Read 32833 times)

Offline double3fd

low voltage beeps
« on: July 21, 2012, 09:12:33 AM »
hey guys question.  i had a series of 4 beeps and my engine stalled, then restarted in "guardian mode"  i have a 2008 mercury EFI 90 hp outboard. i called mercury and they advised me that the beeps ment i had a low volatge issue.  what does that mean?  should i just replace the battery?  or clean and tighten the bolts/screws to battery?  could it be something more than just a battery issue? 
-Angry Snapper- "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Re: low voltage beeps
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:17:53 AM »
test the battery, the motor was running when this happened? watch your volt gauge when you turn the key on it should be a t 12vs then when started it should be around 14vs. If you can get the battery out easily take it to a car parts place they'll test it for you, If the engine was running when this happened it may be a fault in  the charging system. But if the gauge reads 14vs while running thats a pretty good indication its charging properly. How old are the batts? Where you sitting with the engine off for a while with electronics on?
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:42:13 AM »
test the battery, the motor was running when this happened? watch your volt gauge when you turn the key on it should be a t 12vs then when started it should be around 14vs. If you can get the battery out easily take it to a car parts place they'll test it for you, If the engine was running when this happened it may be a fault in  the charging system. But if the gauge reads 14vs while running thats a pretty good indication its charging properly. How old are the batts? Where you sitting with the engine off for a while with electronics on?

Load test your battery first.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline double3fd

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 09:58:09 AM »
the battery is about 3 years old.  i was anchored up all day but nothing was running.  i have a seperate battery for my electronics.  i was crusing WOT then heard the beeps, then engine stalled.  then i was able to start it back up but was running on like a 3rd of my power back to dock.  i took it to closest marina (morgan marina) (who F%$#Ing scammed me of my momey) charged me $300, had it for 2 weeks, and told me " theres nothing in the manual about what the beeps mean, we test drove it for an hour, it ran great", and told me to "run it till the engine dies" then they can figure out what the problem is.  i was so annoyed and called mercury myself and they told me it was low voltage issue. i argued the marina about the price and kept asking why they didnt just call mercury to find out and they basically told me to go pound sand.  so i really need to try and fix this without taking it to mechanic cause i dont have this extra money to waste.  MORGAN MARINA, by sayerville nj  dont ever go to those *&^%%^*&$@*&'ers!!!!  if its just a battery issue, id rather just buy a new one and feel confident and safe to take out my 2 four year olds.  im so scared of breaking down and have no confidence in my motor now.  i get it professionally serviced every year to avoid issues like this :(

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 10:11:33 AM »
usually batterys last about three years. take the battery out and bring it to aut zone they will test it for you first. Ive heard nothing but negative things about that place, my boat the one i bought this year was there they told the old owner the engine was blown and it needed stringers this was after they charged him 500 to winterize it :headscra: The motor runs great and theres only 1 soft spot on the deck guess in a way im glad because i got the boat for a good price.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 10:29:39 AM »
I think we need a lot more info here.
Is this boat in the water or do you trailer it??
In your first post about the problem you said "5" beeps?? that alone can make a difference in knowing what the problem is. AS in 2 beeps-oil--3---beeps overheating.

If it's in the water was it in and pumps running-and Batt never fully charged-then after running it did charge if that is what the beeps meant???

If on the trailer could you have taken it to the person who works on it every year for you instead of the closest place.

Alot to concider.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 10:34:55 AM »
 whs A little mor info and we may be able to help

Offline double3fd

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »
k, the first post, i said 5 beeps cause i was trying to count them with the stress of everything happening.  when i called mercury they said my motor year/make/model/hp, does not have a 5 beep alarm, so i must of miscounted, only a 4 beep alarm.  i do trailer it.  i use task marine each year, love him.  hes very nice, reasonable, great work.  but he is a 2 horu drive from me.  i called him to see if he can fix it but never got ahold of him.  so i dropped it at moran marina since i was passing it hopeing to get a quick fix and back on the water.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 12:24:34 PM »
k, the first post, i said 5 beeps cause i was trying to count them with the stress of everything happening.  when i called mercury they said my motor year/make/model/hp, does not have a 5 beep alarm, so i must of miscounted, only a 4 beep alarm.  i do trailer it.  i use task marine each year, love him.  hes very nice, reasonable, great work.  but he is a 2 horu drive from me.  i called him to see if he can fix it but never got ahold of him.  so i dropped it at moran marina since i was passing it hopeing to get a quick fix and back on the water.

OK so how is it now--May have been an overheat caused by something blocking your water pick up--Happened many times to me in the Raritan bay--I used to drift it at night and pulled the motor up to find the intake clogged from --Well anything from plastic bag to Ballons-etc.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:25:20 PM by IKAT »

Offline double3fd

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
that could very well be... i was anchored up at tices shoal for over 7 hours on that sat that it was like 104 degrees.  it sat all day in the heat then happened withing minutes of me taking off at the end of the day...didnt think of that  but i did not see anything clogged on the motor.  if anything, sandy bottom particles got inside but nothing obvious blocking it.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »
that could very well be... i was anchored up at tices shoal for over 7 hours on that sat that it was like 104 degrees.  it sat all day in the heat then happened withing minutes of me taking off at the end of the day...didnt think of that  but i did not see anything clogged on the motor.  if anything, sandy bottom particles got inside but nothing obvious blocking it.

OK simple Question--From Tices--How did you get to Morgan Marina 70 miles away??

Offline Twins n Fins

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 10:51:54 AM »
3 beeps overheat def. puts you into guardian mode. i have same system had a waterpump start to fail after a year took me a little bit to be convinced it was my waterpump. my fix was to install a temp gauge instead of relying on beeps. sounds to me like an overheat prob.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-