Author Topic: LBI (7/14-7/19)  (Read 3097 times)

Offline DJ76

LBI (7/14-7/19)
« on: July 21, 2012, 07:55:18 PM »
took the family vaca down in surf city this past week.  fished the surf behind the hotel sat night and between three of us we pulled in one 8-9" weakfish.  Sunday took my boat out towards barnegat light and we had a handful of short fluke and really tiny sea bass.  Monday fished the rocks along old barney in the afternoon with a big ol zero to show for it.  my brother in law and i hopped along on my buddy's boat and fished the little egg channel for the afternoon tide change on tuesday.  ended up with about a dozen or so short fluke, a bunch of robins, a few tiny sea bass and something that hit my bucktail really hard.  at first I thought I had a keeper fluke the way it got thunped, then it went dead and the captain and I thought i was snagged...when it decided to run.  i yell for the brother in law to get the net, I'm circling the boat and letting whatever I had on the other end get exhausted.  after ten minutes I was finally able to get some line in.  captain thought it was a cownose.  well when it broke the water we realized it was about a 5' shark. screw the net! fought him for another ten minutes or so till we could get him alongside the boat and cut the line.  I believe it was a sand tiger shark but maybe someone can chime in who knows better.  You can imagine the shock that this shark hit my 3oz spro bucktail with a trailer of new penny gulp shrimp.  cfzd  he left the whole squid on the teaser alone :headscra:  I don't know how i didn't break him off the 20# flouro rig i was using. i was just happy all my knots held t^

went out on wed for some afternoon crabbing with absolutely zero to show for it.  that was disappointing, was looking forward to some crab for dinner. :'(  with the weather outlook a little on the negative side brother in law and i decided to take a 4 hour PB for fluke on thursday.  i foul hooked a robin and caught another while the brother in law had a nice keeper sea bass and some short fluke & sea bass.  tried to go out friday but no boats were heading out due to the weather rgmn

all in all nice vaca with the family but the fishing pretty much was in lousy except for the shark.

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
Re: LBI (7/14-7/19)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 08:42:17 PM »
 t^....Vacation sounds good right now clp...You gave it hell always next time..... chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »
At least you had fun! t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
 clp

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 06:18:28 AM »
 t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 09:12:40 AM »
It's hard to see the tail length on the shark, are you sure it's not a thresher?
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 09:25:02 AM »
Dj can you post the vid you took--you may have been right--about the thresher   5hrug

Offline DJ76

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 12:25:22 PM »
Dj can you post the vid you took--you may have been right--about the thresher   5hrug

my brother in law taped it on one of those smart phone things.  i'll have him send me a copy.  I really really don't think its a thresher.  intially I did (hence my text to you after i caught ;D).  margerate down at jingles said it was a brown shark or sand bar shark while the crew on the PB we took claims its a sand tiger shark.  5hrug  i'm leaning towards the sand tiger as that tail wasn't as pronounced as we initially thought and images i looked at online appear to be what i caught.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 12:29:45 PM »

my brother in law taped it on one of those smart phone things.  i'll have him send me a copy.  I really really don't think its a thresher.  intially I did (hence my text to you after i caught ;D).  margerate down at jingles said it was a brown shark or sand bar shark while the crew on the PB we took claims its a sand tiger shark.  5hrug  i'm leaning towards the sand tiger as that tail wasn't as pronounced as we initially thought and images i looked at online appear to be what i caught.

No Matter--Glad you had a great time.
Thanks for the text--Think I was as excited as you were--COOL!!!!

Offline Fisherman120

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 03:02:55 PM »
Nice job. Hear Browns are all over down there recently.

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »
Nice Denn...you are a fishing machine!.....see ya friday!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline DJ76

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 07:39:15 AM »
Nice Denn...you are a fishing machine!.....see ya friday!

looking forward to it capt slt
~Stephen B. Leacock

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-