Author Topic: New to surf fishing and fishing in general, need some advise, PLEASE!  (Read 7396 times)

Offline Mustangous

Hey everyone!

I am new to fishing, but not to the water. Ive been in boating since the mid 80's but really never fished. Even though i have a boat, I want to start surf fishing with my father. We are going to the surf fishing tournament this sunday on IBSP and would like to put together a setup, but time is running out. I will probably use what he has for this weekend but i would like to get a decent setup for myself.

I already made a big mistake on a purchase and have to see if i can return it. I ordered a Shimano Spheros 18000fb and didnt realize its way too big and unrealistic for surf fishing.

I called a local place and they recommended a Tica 10'6" rod and a Penn Battle 6000. Now the reason i originally ordered the shimano spheros is because
I thought i did good research and hear that the penn's ssm arnt made like they were used to and to spend a few extra bucks on a shimano spheros. well I screwed up anyway!

My father's setups are:
outerbanks 11' rod and emcast 5500 reel
12' okuma rod reel combo, not sure what exactly.
he is picking up a 11' penn rod saturday to use with a emcast 6000 reel he had in a box.
He uses bait, think clams.

So I was thinking of a smaller shimano spheros, or a bait runner (which was recommend by a friend because he likes the switch for free spooling). I dont know so before I waste any more money I am looking for some opinions and suggestions for rod and reel setups from you experienced guys.

Another question, the penn reels, battle for example, has 6 ball bearings opposed to shimanos 3, is that something to consider?

Thanks in advance for any help, now going back to read more threads!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:54:59 PM by Hotrod »

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
Re: New to surf fishing and ffishing in general, need some advise, PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »
Thats a long question and contains a lot of info.
Hit the surf and see what the guys in your area are fishing.I believe in KISS
Keep it simple stew  rofla
You can not go wrong with 9 to 10 ft rod if your slinging bait and a sinker
Any reel from the family of reels you mentioned will do.
Your  purchase has  to fit your budget,then see what happens after you catch some fish.You may go longer, stiffer,( >:D) and need more toys !!
Good Luck with your search.

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
Re: New to surf fishing and ffishing in general, need some advise, PLEASE!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:53:35 PM »
 wa
Definitely cutting it close for Sunday.
For bait a 10ft or 11ft rod rated for around 2-8oz is good.  Brand, etc is personal preference.
The Penn Battle is a decent reel for the price.  I have a 4000 and I'm happy with it.  6000 model will go well on a bait rod. 
Good luck and enjoy the time on the sand. 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: New to surf fishing and fishing in general, need some advise, PLEASE!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:43:08 PM »
 whs

Good Luck oput there on Sunday.  If you see a maroon Expedition riding around looking for something to happen It will be me as I will be one of the judges again this year.  Sigh, another early day.  Judges have to sign in from 4:30 to 5:00 AM.  Oh well, it is fun to see the looks on everyone's faces as they get their catch registered, especially the kids.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 11:12:01 PM »
Personally, I would go with a smaller Spheros or the Baitrunner.  If you're soaking bait 90% of the time get the Baitrunner.  If you will mostly be casting plugs and metal go with the Spheros.

And bearing count means nothing.  Don't get caught up in that hype.

Good luck in whatever you choose and  wa
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:10:27 AM by Bucktail »

Offline DJ76

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:38:49 AM »
i don't surf fish often..maybe five times a year.  went into a local sporting good stores and explained i want an all around surf casting setup without breaking the bank.  They set me up with a PENN battle 6000 paired with a 9' tsunami trophy series rod.  With 30# pp that they spooled I was out the door for less than 250 bucks.  believe it was closer to 220.  I'm happy with my purchase for my use.

I was told the same thing about Penn's...there more recent products are not built of the same quality.  However, for its limited use that I give it it has worked very well.  Granted have never caught any monster fish on it to test drag but it works.  The tsunami rod I like as well...its major downfall is its weight.  its a bit heavier than other rods in its class. I do however sling this thing in and out of a pickup and it has lasted for two seasons so far (knock on wood) as far as eyes bending and the like.  on a side note, i was surf fishing with my brother in law who had a 10' tica rod, man o man that was one sweet rod, light as heck. could cast that thing all day.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 10:22:31 AM »
wts  and to reiterate what Chris already mentioned, bait fishing the surf, you want something that can potentially toss 6 or 8oz. 
Z

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »
Asking some one on what they recommend or opinions  for fishing In any of the many categories, Is like asking what is your Favorite beer, Or Automobile.
What works for one may not work for another. From the Outer Banks thou New Jersey to Cape Cod. You will see many disciplines of Gear used, I have fished the Outer Banks as well as Cape Cod New Jersey is in its own world of whats proper. Both the OB=CC you will see the longer rods being used , the surf conditions dictated what is used. Waves , Currents, play a big part.
As what attractant is used Bait or Artificial. Same in Fly Fishing,
Want answers  go to a local Popular place along the Shore and Beach that deal with the Surf Guys. Start off Conservative you may not like it, or after you have tried it you will have a better knowledge of of your needs. Just Remember That all that stuff on the shop walls are there to catch anglers not so much fish.  Good luck and you will do fine Bill     

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »
 rgmnYour Welcome
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:05:27 PM by overbite »

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 09:29:08 PM »
I would not reccommend a spheros for a surf reel.  It's a nice boat or land reel because it is light and pretty smooth, but for the surf, you would want something more durable.  If you can find one, take a look at the new penn spinfisher V line.  They apparently have some additional sealing to make them more resistant to the salt and sand that tends to destroy reels in the surf environment.  Penn battles and sarguses are also solid, full-metal bodies reels that are alittle more accessible.
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 10:51:06 PM »
The best advise I can give is to bring a healthy appetite and go here...

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=29298.0

>:D
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-